Habitual club swapper - am I alone?

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've literally been scouring eBay all winter looking for other clubs that I don't need. Mostly putters and woods, I love my irons.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been bored tonight

Pulled this list together. Pretty sure I am about 95% right but have no doubt forgot a couple of puffers...

Started playing in about 2005 I think

I don’t think that’s too bad really? 😂

Drivers

Wilson harmonised
Wilson deep red II
Taylormade R7 draw
Cobra Lv
Taylormade burner
Cobra s3
Cleveland xl classic custom
Ping i25
Titleist 915
Adams XTD
Taylormade r15
Callaway x2hot pro
Callaway xr16 (current)

Woods

Wilson harmonised 3 and 5
Wilson deep red 3 and 5
Adams tight lies RPM
Cleveland classic 3 wood
PING i25 3 wood
Adams XTD ti 3 wood +
Adams tight lies 2 3 wood
Callaway xr16 4 wood (current)

Hybrids

Slazenger big easy
Cleveland halo 4i
Cleveland 588 3i
Adams pro 2 hybrid
Adams pro mini 3 hybrid
Adams pro 3 hybrid
Callaway x2 hot pro

Driving irons

Mizuno h4 4i
Titleist 716 tmb 3i
Srixon zu45 3i (current)

Irons

Wilson deepred fatshaft II
Taylormade RAC os
Cobra s9
Cobra s3
Taylormade rocketbladez
Cobra Amp cell forged
Mizuno mp59
Adams XTD forged
Adams XTD forged (with x flex)
Cobra king forged black
Srixon 545/745 combo (current)

Wedges

Williams Pot belly 60 degree
Titleist oilcan vokeys x 2
Nike vrs x 3
Cleveland rtx 64 degree
Callaway mackdaddy3 x 3 (current)

Putters

Wilson harmonised
Taylormade monza rosa
Odyessy white hot blade (blatantly counterfeit)
Stx blade
Scotty detour
Odyessy tank 3 ball 38”
Gel blade
Cleveland smart square
Scotty golo 5 2015
Scotty golo 5 2017
Boccherini heavy putter 8882 style
Raa center shaft (current)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've changed almost every year for the last 10 years, 2016 being more worst year with 3 sets of irons. I changed to Ping S55's in January 2017, and then exactly a year later I changed to Titliest AP3's.

Woods tend to last me a few years, wedges last till they wear out and my putter is at least 10 years old.

D

Deleted member 15344

Since I started I haven’t swapped as much

Drivers

TM Burner
R11
R1
SLDR

Irons

Nike Ignite
R9’s
TM TPMC

Putter

Odessey Rossie
TM Spider
Scotty

Currently I’m changing irons and woods though after 6 years for irons and 4 for the driver

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Every other sport looks at golf with envy. What other sport gets people to change gear so frequently?

I restrict myself to one in one out now. That helps, a little. Having a friend in the business would help mind 

I think a lot of sports would see players get new kit every 1-2 seasons. Of course there's no where near as much kit and it's cheaper.

In cricket I would be looking at a new bat every 3 seasons, pads ever 4-5 season etc. But I only need one bat so £200 every 3 years is nothing compared to a new set of irons £600-800 new putter £100-300 and new driver £250-400.

I also play rugby to a half decent standard, but the only real equipment are boots and gum shield. Even if I buy top end stuff that's only £100 for boots and £30 for an OPRO gum shield.

I don't swap my clubs at all really, but that is more of a money issue. Will attempt to replace my entire bag this year. But my dad, he had the same clubs for years, occasionally he would pick up some horrible club from Trago Mills and try it for a couple of rounds before putting it in the cellar. But now he's retired I think he's had 3 sets of irons a couple of drivers and fairway woods and plenty of hybrids in 10 years.

Hasn't changed his putter though which is a horribly hard Hippo putter that is 36", way too big for his putting style, bought from Trago Mills for £15 I think. Keep telling him to get fitted for a proper putter but he keeps ignoring me.

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
I actually do want to settle - lived my new balance football boots and wore them till the cobbler could repair no more

Woods - Happy
Hybrid - Happy
Wedges - Happy
Putter - Happy

Just when I pull the iron out I don’t smile like I do with the others - not sure if it’s the black heads but something hasn’t clicked with them so far - just want that connection

Expect your all p****ng yourselfs laughing

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
same irons, woods, bag and putter for the last 4 years. changed wedges last year as the others were a bit worn had those 7 years.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think a lot of sports would see players get new kit every 1-2 seasons. Of course there's no where near as much kit and it's cheaper.

In cricket I would be looking at a new bat every 3 seasons, pads ever 4-5 season etc. But I only need one bat so £200 every 3 years is nothing compared to a new set of irons £600-800 new putter £100-300 and new driver £250-400.

I also play rugby to a half decent standard, but the only real equipment are boots and gum shield. Even if I buy top end stuff that's only £100 for boots and £30 for an OPRO gum shield.

Totally accept that golf is equipment heavy but it doesn't stop other sports looking with envy. It is not just the equipment, it is the clothes, shoes etc. Golfers will regularly buy new of all items.

I also played cricket years ago. During a season I would have 1 pair of trousers, 2 shirts, one long, one short sleeved jumper, one pair of shoes. I may have replaced them every 3-4 years. For hockey it was about the same, tracksuit, shorts lasted 3-4 yrs minimum, shoes every 3 years as they wore out on astro, stick 3-4 years (when you found the right balance you didn't want to change but again the base of the head would wear down. Araldite could only do so much). I look at my golf clothes and laugh in comparison. It is the turnover that golf has managed to encourage so brilliantly. They have persuaded us with attractive colours and styles, brand names etc. The nearest sport in terms of updating gear that I saw written about was tennis but even that pales into insignificance compared to golf. The tennis brands are trying to get players changing gear and clothes at the same rate as golfers, that is their aim, amateurs obviously. Golf is the benchmark sport for this.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I actually do want to settle - lived my new balance football boots and wore them till the cobbler could repair no more

Woods - Happy
Hybrid - Happy
Wedges - Happy
Putter - Happy

Just when I pull the iron out I don’t smile like I do with the others - not sure if it’s the black heads but something hasn’t clicked with them so far - just want that connection

Expect your all p****ng yourselfs laughing

I'm still loving the driver I bought from you last year. I like black headed irons, I have CG16's now. If you want to do a ridiculously nonsensical deal I would be happy to relieve you of your burden :D. No? Fair enough.

Out of interest, if you didn't have a mate who could do great deals do you think you would change as much or would you take more care over each purchase? I would like to update all 3 wedges and over time, my irons. Finances are holding me back however, other priorities. That stops the big itches, although little ones still get scratched. If I had a similar friend I suspect the bigger itches would get scratched more quickly.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Totally accept that golf is equipment heavy but it doesn't stop other sports looking with envy. It is not just the equipment, it is the clothes, shoes etc. Golfers will regularly buy new of all items.

I also played cricket years ago. During a season I would have 1 pair of trousers, 2 shirts, one long, one short sleeved jumper, one pair of shoes. I may have replaced them every 3-4 years. For hockey it was about the same, tracksuit, shorts lasted 3-4 yrs minimum, shoes every 3 years as they wore out on astro, stick 3-4 years (when you found the right balance you didn't want to change but again the base of the head would wear down. Araldite could only do so much). I look at my golf clothes and laugh in comparison. It is the turnover that golf has managed to encourage so brilliantly. They have persuaded us with attractive colours and styles, brand names etc. The nearest sport in terms of updating gear that I saw written about was tennis but even that pales into insignificance compared to golf. The tennis brands are trying to get players changing gear and clothes at the same rate as golfers, that is their aim, amateurs obviously. Golf is the benchmark sport for this.

You are spot on with the clothing angle, hadn't thought of that.

Think my main point was that, if you just look at golf clubs. There will be 14 clubs you can change. You may not do all of them at the same time, but compare it to other sports just the shear amount of equipment you can change in golf is huge.

Plus I think the technology and style has a much wider scope for change. A cricket bat is going to be a lump of willow in pretty much the same shape with a cane handle, they can stick funky decals on it but for the main part it hasn't changed for a long time. Same with rugby, boots will get lighter, but essentially they are shoes with studs.

A golf club has quite afew components that can change the make up of the club quite considerably. The grip, shaft, hosel, head, alignment aids etc new and different materials.

You are of course right about the marketing, the OEMs have done a fantastic job in that respect. Making people believe that the newest driver will be longer and straighter than the last.

But I suppose golf equipment does make a big difference. If I batted with a cricket bat from the 60s it wouldn't be as springy but I could bat probably close to as well compared to with a new bat, and a pair of 1960s rugby boots would be heavier and slow me down a bit but generally wouldn't be too bad.

But if I was playing with 1960s golf technology it would be a big difference

D

Deleted member 18588

Does over 50 sets of irons in 45 years count as habitual changing

Adams
Aston Martin
Bridgestone
Callaway
Cleveland
Cobra
Dunlop
Hogan
John Letters
Kane
MD
Maxfli
Mizuno
Nike
Penfold
Ping
Powerbilt
Prosimmon
Sounder
Srixon
TaylorMade
Titleist
Wilson Staff
Yamaha

These are just the ones I can remember and obviously I have had more than one set from a number of them.

Yes, I have a problem!

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Also I once soon on the tee in a 4 ball and owned 3 of the drivers being used!

A couple of years ago me and the boys in our regular am am team were discussing clubs while waiting on the tee for the group in front to clear the fairway. We worked out that one of the boys had an old driver and set of irons of mine, another had a hybrid and couple of wedges, and the third had a putter and my old bag. Pretty much a full set of clubs that used to belong to me in addition to the ones I was using :whoo:

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm sticking to my current set up but have been a serial gear buyer since giving up cricket. I really don't want to list drivers, irons, wedges, putters etc in the 16 years or so I've been playing . It would be embarrassing and probably wouldn't be believed anyway. I have however always kept one set in play and part exed as I've gone. Mrs noticed a few times that my clubs had "new hats" on them !!!!! I was the same with cricket, loved my gear and changed it each season. Millichamp and Hall through the range one year, Gunn and Moore the next etc.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Can't argue. Have loads of golf clothes but a bigger problem with buying golf shoes (although the cold turkey is going well and nothing for a while)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've bought lots of clubs over the last year but am a collector more than a swapper.
These are iron sets I've bought in the last 12 months, with a guess at date of manufacture:

1938 - Peak Hi - S Warren Green
1950 - Gradidge - (No model ID)
1955 - George Nicoll - Pinsplitter
1957 - Dunlop - Peter Thomson
1958 - JB Halley - Tournament
1960 - John Letters - Gary Player
1965 - Greenway - (No model ID)
1966 - Swilken - Eric Brown
1968 - MacGregor - Tourney MTR1
1972 - Slazenger - Slazenger Plus International
1974 - Dunlop - Peter Thomson
1974 - Slazenger - Ambassador
1974 - Slazenger - Johnny Miller JM63
1975 - HB&S - Max Faulkner Avenger
1976 - Browning - 440
1978 - Ben Sayers - Silver Crest
1982 - Dunlop - Maxfli Australian Blades
1983 - MacGregor - Colokrom M85
1984 - Wilson - Staff Tourblade
1986 - Wilson - Dyna Power

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Old stock rocks, golf clubs are like cars you only need a new version when the other becomes unreliable. Shiny and new sells and does nothing better than previous adaption.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Old stock rocks, golf clubs are like cars you only need a new version when the other becomes unreliable. Shiny and new sells and does nothing better than previous adaption.

Don't know if that analogy works, modern cars are far more economical; safer; more mod cons etc

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not going to change anytime soon, unless the Euromillions** happens to be nice to me tonight.

My putter is a little over a year old and won't be changed again ever. It's only my 3rd putter since I start playing 7 or 8 years ago.

My wedges are a little older and I would like to change them, but a groove sharpener is cheaper.

The rest of the bag is around 3yrs old ish I am tempted with the new Mizuno GT fairway, but again I'll wait to see if the Euromillions** is going to be kind

**Read I'll be keeping what I currently have for the foreseeable future.