Iron Advice

SteveD38

Visit site
Hi All,

Just after some advice on some irons please.

Currently play off 9 (consistently) , used to play off 6 about 20 years ago but will now get to play more once we return to normal later on during the year.

My current irons are Callaway X12's (i've had these 18 years) handicap only really went up due to not playing much after uni. I am looking at buying some second hand clubs after seeing the changes in modern technology. Just changed my driver from A Taylor Made Tour Burner to a Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic and has made a huge difference.

For irons I am looking at the below (if you have any other recommendations would be great to hear).

Callaway Apex Pro 16
Callaway Apex CF16
Ping G Series
Ping i200
Callaway Rogue X

What are people thoughts would be really appreciated.

Cheers

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The obvious answer would be try before you buy but as the sets are old models that may be hard. If you can narrow it down there is the option of getting a set via Golfbidder or similar outlets (although Golfbidder do have a 7 day return policy) and simply hitting them. When they reopen, somewhere like AG may have some second hand sets in store and you may get lucky and find one of these sets you can try in store

Zig

Visit site
Hi All,

Just after some advice on some irons please.

Currently play off 9 (consistently) , used to play off 6 about 20 years ago but will now get to play more once we return to normal later on during the year.

My current irons are Callaway X12's (i've had these 18 years) handicap only really went up due to not playing much after uni. I am looking at buying some second hand clubs after seeing the changes in modern technology. Just changed my driver from A Taylor Made Tour Burner to a Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic and has made a huge difference.

For irons I am looking at the below (if you have any other recommendations would be great to hear).

Callaway Apex Pro 16
Callaway Apex CF16
Ping G Series
Ping i200
Callaway Rogue X

What are people thoughts would be really appreciated.

Cheers
I've got a set of Ping i200s I'm looking to sell. XP95 stiff shafts, good condition. Send me a message if they might be what you're looking for. ;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably the big difference you will notice is in modern shafts.
As we get a bit older the lighter shaft now are brilliant .
I went for a fitting at ping and went from 130g shafts to 95g .
The difference is massive.
So I would say at your level a fitting would be advised.
Why play the wrong shaft and make it harder.
Get your spec and buy second hand ,worth the fee if you can’t afford brand new.
Most modern irons are very similar.
I would add Titleist AP2s and Ping I210 to your list.