Habitual club swapper - am I alone?

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
So I used to play a lot of tennis - every year without fail a new racket in hand. At £100 a go and selling my old one for just a little less I never worried about paying £30 every year for a new racket

Then golf came along again after a long break ....

2017 .... Taylormade M2 irons - bloody ridiculous bats

2017 .... Callaway CF16 irons - lovely

2017 .... Callaway Steelhead XR Pro post custom fit at Callaway Chessington

2018 .... had a hit of the Rogue Pro yesterday which were nice and a pleasant change from the black headed Pro

Am I alone?????

Crawley1981

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fine if you moved from Taylormade to a Callaway sponsorship and get them for nothing, otherwise I'd say you have way too much money burning a hole in your pocket. Could you actually tell the callaways apart when you hit them?

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
Lucky enough to have a relative who provides the clubs at cost - which doesn’t help! So I don’t lose money when I sell on and rebuy

Yes - I can tell the difference and visually see the results In Distance and dispersion.

Am thinking of trying Mizuno

My wife just rolls her eyelids now when a package arrives

D

Deleted member 1740

Of all sports, I reckon there’s no bigger fool than a golfer when it comes to buying gear.

D

Deleted member 17920

So I used to play a lot of tennis - every year without fail a new racket in hand. At £100 a go and selling my old one for just a little less I never worried about paying £30 every year for a new racket

Then golf came along again after a long break ....

2017 .... Taylormade M2 irons - bloody ridiculous bats

2017 .... Callaway CF16 irons - lovely

2017 .... Callaway Steelhead XR Pro post custom fit at Callaway Chessington

2018 .... had a hit of the Rogue Pro yesterday which were nice and a pleasant change from the black headed Pro

Am I alone?????
You sound like you would fit into a 4 ball with NWJocko, bluewolf and karl102 as they all change clubs every few weeks :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Some habitual club swappers on here and I've been guilty in the past. Fortunately (or not depending on your view) my downfall was FJ Icons but with a limited budget these days even that has had to stop. I guess if you are buying and selling at reasonable prices and the deficit each time isn't too great and you aren't sending the family without food the fund your club addiction, then why not. Your money so spend it as you wish. That or google golf club buyers anonymous!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t smoke
I don’t drink much.
I don’t go out with other women.

But if I stop playing golf I will have more time to do all three!

I bet they cost more than a new club now and again
So it’s relative if you can afford it DO
If you can’t DONT.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You sound like you would fit into a 4 ball with NWJocko, bluewolf and karl102 as they all change clubs every few weeks :D

Oi! Cant believe you did'nt bring our kid into this! and i have had the same putter and iron set for 2 seasons now.... just 9 drivers, 54 fairways and a million hybrids!

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think a lot of peeps on here would be better golfers if they kept the same clubs, accepted the limitations/strengths of their swing/game and learnt how to score that way.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
But that’s not what people do. (Serial club swappers) they search for something that will crack open another door in there game or give them that something extra.
replacements for worn gear is different.

That's what I meant.... with tongue firmly in cheek!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Every other sport looks at golf with envy. What other sport gets people to change gear so frequently?

I restrict myself to one in one out now. That helps, a little. Having a friend in the business would help mind 😁

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Obviously we get enjoyment from different parts of the game.

You need to have confidence in the equipment you are using, and perhaps if you are using gear that is a decade old and heavilly worn then it might cost you the odd shot. But if you have stuff purchased in the last few years and you have played some decent golf with it, then just get on with it.

If you want to improve your golf, spend the money on lessons, range balls etc. If you think spending it on new clubs will improve your golf, then at least accept you are probably wrong and you just like buying new clubs.