Gun activists.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
There's been plenty of debate about how the internet has made it easier to "play to your own crowd". This one just seems so odd to me though
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59543735
"Peace and Goodwill to all men" my backside.
What this does show is just how entrenched the gun mentality is in the USA. And what is equally sad is that there will as many people defending him in the States as there will be condemning him.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I've travelled round lots of the USA and the only time I raised a "gun-related" eye was on the highway going up to Sawgrass when I stopped for "gas." You had to pay before you filled up, the forecourt attendant was behind the mother of all bandit screens and had a big rife on the desk. No pilfering a packet of wine gums from there then! :) On a rest day we were going to visit Jacksonville, but there had been a bit of shooting the night before, so we game it a miss. Weird, as the St Augustine / Sawgrass areas was wonderful, and loads safer the the wrong end of London.

But, talk guns on the golf course and they can't believe we don't carry them! :)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've travelled round lots of the USA and the only time I raised a "gun-related" eye was on the highway going up to Sawgrass when I stopped for "gas." You had to pay before you filled up, the forecourt attendant was behind the mother of all bandit screens and had a big rife on the desk. No pilfering a packet of wine gums from there then! :) On a rest day we were going to visit Jacksonville, but there had been a bit of shooting the night before, so we game it a miss. Weird, as the St Augustine / Sawgrass areas was wonderful, and loads safer the the wrong end of London.

But, talk guns on the golf course and they can't believe we don't carry them! :)
I think they need to realise that most countries in the world are amazed that they do. But as has been said before in this thread, it is too much ingrained in the culture and will never change. Sad for all those people who have died from guns and will continue to do so in the future. I have never understood why the NRA held such a power in the USA.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think they need to realise that most countries in the world are amazed that they do. But as has been said before in this thread, it is too much ingrained in the culture and will never change. Sad for all those people who have died from guns and will continue to do so in the future. I have never understood why the NRA held such a power in the USA.

Partly money, but I suspect mainly because many US citizens simply adore their guns. I guess many feel they need guns to protect themselves against other citizens who have guns, and don't accept that if they get their guns taken away, so will the bad guys. Still, it is surprising in a country where the citizens seem to also love their statistics (judging by occasionally watching US sports), statistics that look pretty terrible for the US in terms of gun crime when comparing to many other countries.

It probably has a huge knock on effect in the policing in the US as well. How many officers kill unarmed civilians due to racism (which has been topical over the last year or so), and how many do it because they are that on edge that the civilian has a gun and instinct tells them "kill or be killed"?

D

Deleted member 23270

No chance of getting rid of guns with idiots like this having a platform to influence people ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No chance of getting rid of guns with idiots like this having a platform to influence people ?

Notwithstanding that being the quietest I've ever seen PM in an inteview/debate....which of the 2 participants were you refering to as 'idiots like this'?;)

Brads

Visit site
I’ve owned guns all my life in the UK
I think that there are far too many restrictions on gun ownership and it should be easier for people to own guns
I also think that owning a gun for self defence should be considered in the uk as well.

Using the systems in place already it is easy enough to weed out unsuitable people so less restrictions should be placed on people deemed suitable, especially regards handgun ownership. The rules should be less restrictive in their regard.
contentious I know but opinions are allowed.

Swango1980

Visit site
I’ve owned guns all my life in the UK
I think that there are far too many restrictions on gun ownership and it should be easier for people to own guns
I also think that owning a gun for self defence should be considered in the uk as well.

Using the systems in place already it is easy enough to weed out unsuitable people so less restrictions should be placed on people deemed suitable, especially regards handgun ownership. The rules should be less restrictive in their regard.
contentious I know but opinions are allowed.
Haha