Growing a beard - beard itch!

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok this is one for the guys among you with facial hair! Some advice and opinions required please.

I’ve never had a proper beard before. Every time I’ve tried to grow one I’ve got to a point where my face just looks like a tramp’s armpit and it’s itchy beyond belief. I’ve thought sod it and just shaved it off.

I’m currently trying again. Again, I find myself at the tramp’s armpit stage, but this time I’m determined to stick with it and let it grow some more. But my God my face is itchy! I just want to scratch all the time. Several times in the last couple of days I have been on the verge of running to the bathroom and grabbing my razor. So far I have resisted.

So a question for the already bewhiskered among you, or those who have been in the past. Does this itchy phase pass? Is it a temporary curse? Once I have properly cultivated facial hair, will this infernal itching cease?!

If if it is to continue, I don’t feel I can continue in my personal suffering in my hirsute pursuit!

Any words of wisdom (or any general beardy banter) most welcome! :cool:

super hans

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've tried growing a beard in the past through laziness but it just looks unsightly. I always ended up shaving.

The craze for hiptster (for hip read tw@t) beards in the last decade has amused and confused me in equal measure.

An established beard on an older gentleman looks quite distinguished, but some of the young bucks trying it out look ridiculous (but then they probably would think the same of my middle parting and Manchester wedge 25 years ago)

Each to their own i suppose

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Persevere. The itch eventually subsides(or you get used to it). However, what you don't get used to is the stage where food and drink starts finding its way into the hair. Clippers are necessary to keep the mouth area clear 👍

U

User62651

Have a short beard, come and goes throughout the year (prefer clean shaven when its hot weather for example), never noticed any itchy phase of growing a beard. Maybe just try a gritty facewash to make sure all the old dead skin is off your face and hair follicles are free of 'mattter' that might irritate hair growth.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It itches because the skin underneath becomes dry. You have to wash it regularly and make sure you dry it properly after a shower etc. A balm or oil would probably help too.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't remember the last time I had a clean shave...
Prefer the seven o'clock shadow look over a full beard nowadays...
Always washed my facial hair with Johnsons baby shampoo and never really had itchiness problems..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tend to let it grow no more than a week. Means I don't have to shave every morning and I can get away with it for work. Another who has tried to grow something more substantial but buckled under that itching sensation after a week. Usually lasts about 4-5 days (so day 12 of growth) but I find so hard to keep it going. and usually hack it all off

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some good posts and advice here, thanks!

Even in the 24 hours-ish since starting this thread the itching has subsided somewhat. Still there in the background, but I’m hoping it will continue to fade.

Still unsure about whether this is a long term thing for me. I currently look like a wannabe Mr Twit.