Groove sharpeners

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I am thinking of picking up a groove sharpener to freshen up my wedges but I am concerned about inadvertently making them illegal or potentially damaging them and leave them susceptible to rusting.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I have read somewhere that there are conforming ones but I don't know that that is the case.

Any advice much appreciated.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think they are illegal if you use them after in a comp as you have altered the club in some way.

i could be wrong though.

i tried one some time ago on an old wedge i use in the garden, TBH i could not see any difference

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
IMO they would make your grooves illegal I cannot see how with todays tight tolerances and CNC/Laser machined grooves how you can re-sharpen by hand.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think they are illegal if you use them after in a comp as you have altered the club in some way.

i could be wrong though.

i tried one some time ago on an old wedge i use in the garden, TBH i could not see any difference

During a comp I would imagine you wouldn't be allowed to use them but surely the grooves are at x depth and width and inadvertently going too deep would make the club illegal? Or do these not work in this way?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's really easy...

You can use them as long as they don't work!

Despite how a new wedge feels to the touch the grooves are actually radiused very very precisely in accordance with the equipment rules - they have to be rounded, not sharp or edged.

You can buy groove sharpeners which are profiled to both the permitted groove dimensions to theoretically enable you to re-profile damaged or worn grooves but the probability is that in use by hand they will end up altering the profiles.

Whether this makes them illegal, whether it gives any benefit or whether anyone cares are all of course more philosophical questions than practical for most golfers. So, as with many golfing situations on, and off course, it comes down to the player.

There are much eaaier, better and cheeper ways to clean out grooves quickly and efficiently - at this time of year a small kitchen or nail brush attached to the bag is well worthwhile.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Would never put a groove sharpener near my wedges. I've had my two 200 series Vokeys now for over 5 years and they're still spinning to order. I play 4/5 times a week in summer and when weather permits in winter. Keep them clean after each shot and each game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Would never put a groove sharpener near my wedges. I've had my two 200 series Vokeys now for over 5 years and they're still spinning to order. I play 4/5 times a week in summer and when weather permits in winter. Keep them clean after each shot and each game.

This. If you keep the grooves clean as you play (and a tee and a towel is all you need as you go round) you'll get all the spin you need

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There are much eaaier, better and cheeper ways to clean out grooves quickly and efficiently - at this time of year a small kitchen or nail brush attached to the bag is well worthwhile.

Duncan. Can you explain how a small kitchen (I have one of those!) can be attached to the bag? :rofl: Doesn't seem particularly easy! :whistle:

Otherwise, I'm inclined to agree. If grooves do get 'damaged' by play, that in itself is likely/possible to make the grooves non-conforming. I've certainly seen wedges where the grooves have been bent out of shape by simple use - by a Professional!

Unless such 'sharpeners' can prove they don't make the grooves non-conforming, then they should not be used!

I tried one many years ago (before the Groove Rule came in) and it was also bleeding hard work! Quite literally 'bleeding' from memory too, as I think I managed to skewer my hand with it - which made playing golf difficult for a weekend or so! I didn't notice any particular difference, but I don't seem to spin the ball much anyway - and only ever when I'm short of the pin! :(

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Anyone ever been DQ'd for illegal equipment?

Not DQ as such.

I was at an open last year and there was a guy waiting to go out, started using one of these on his wedges in full view of the starter and the clubs handicap sec. he was told it would be better is he didn't use his wedges during his round or he might be DQ'd.