Grips

B

birdieman

Too expensive. I DIY grip fitting and for 14 new decade grips plus solvent and strips/tape you should be around £65 to £70, a lot less if you just use lamkin crosslines for example.

D

Deleted member 1740

Ive just had 9 irons done £6 each for golfpride red/black mid size £54 in total. They should've been £8 each aswell.

Tho when i went to pick them up the day after, the young lad at the pro shop who said £6 each wasn't there so i told the pro he was charging me £6 and he wasn't to happy from the face he pulled.

I just hope i've not got the young lad into truoble.

£135 does sound a lot

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does anybody on here do there own grips, just been quoted £135 to grip 14 clubs.

Pah!.....someone's seen you coming!!

Last set I had done (spare set) cost me £35 with some cheap and cheerful plain black.

My current fav' grip is either the Red & Black gof pride or the lairy yellow.

A single grip is gonna be £10 approx for a quality one.

A set of 8/9 irons should offer a keen discount....

I reckon 9 grips at £8 ought to be the target.....if it was me, I'd haggle for £65 tops and offer to leave them in for a few days to fit around other stuff.

Someone has simply quoted you for 9 @ £11 plus £3 per club for the fitting.....NO WAY JOSE.

DCB

Visit site
Bunkered,

Is that quote from a PGA Pro at a golf club or from one of the golf stores ?

Too steep as previously said.

Just regripped my driver & 3 wood last week. £11 for two multicompound grips and had the rest of the stuff anyway.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
For all 14 clubs its actually not far off the mark - £9.64 each. Could be that they're trying it on to get a few more quid in the tills but you can ge the job done cheaper. Are all 14 in need of replacement? Maybe just do the irons first and then the woods in a few months time to spread the cost.

Give a good clean in hot soapy water to check they do need it.

Stefano56

Hacker
Visit site
Why don't you do it yourself ?
Replacing grips is incredibly easy, and there are a lot of instructional videos on the web. You can get the grips for as little as 2£ (Lamkin Crossline) and if you prefer the Golf Pride Decade Multicompound they go for 5£ each.
All you need are the grips, two-sided tape and some solvent (I used to use regular unleaded gas, cheap but the smell...). It takes me about an hour to regrip 8 irons, and most of the time is spent removing the old grips and the old tape.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
My pro charges me £1 I just buy the grip. Driver needs doing before belfry. Was gonna do it me self but may aswell pay the pro a quid and save me the hassle

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I supose price depends greatly on what grip is chosen, but I really wouldn't expect to pay too much more than 80 quid even for good quality grips fitted.

A Pro friend has shown me a few different ways grips can be changed & the processes involved. Doesn't look overly difficult, though I'd be happy to pay an extra quid to get the job done expertly.

Why not try re-gripping a lob wedge or an old club you rarely use to experiment with re-gripping.

bunkered

Head Pro
Visit site
Thought it was a bit steep, price i was quoted was for the golf pride red and black grip, going to have a go at it myself.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Each to their own, but I wouldn't do it myself.

The price you've been quoted is non-starter i.m.o.

If you buy grips @ £6 each, plus spirit and tape etc. you'll end up spending the same as getting them done at £8 per grip by a pro or range shop.

The pro's get these in for "not at lot" and most would be happy to get the work.

If I can get one club done by a pro with a golf pride grip for £8, then even for 14 clubs, you should get a deal for 14 @ £7......=£105, call it £100.

ALSO, I rely on the writing/marking on the grip now and again, if this is 5 degrees out, your shots could end up on the next fairway because you didn't get them straight enough.....or is this a crazy idea?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The price you were quoted even for red/black golf prides is way over the top and for that type of grip etc I wouldn't expect to pay more than £90 for a set of irons.

I can do it myself as I was trained as an assistant but it is relatively straightforward providing you take care to make sure everything is lined up. I'd be interested to know where you got your quote. If it was an AG or similar they are just trying it on seeing a potentially large profit. If it was a PGA pro I'd tell him his quote was seriously out of line and take it to another pro. Most will do walk ins even if you aren't a member.

D

Deleted member 1740

Bunkered why dont you try a local range or pro shop i'm sure they would do a deal for 14 clubs. I've had a look on DG and the golf pride multi are £6.00 each with a bit of dizzy if you buy 9.

£80 for 14 grips then max £2 each to fit and your still £30 better off.I would defo let a pro do it rather than DIY

bunkered

Head Pro
Visit site
Stuart, think about it, how hard can it be to grip a club, i bet the young guy in the pro shop gets this job all the time.

Adjani

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Irons are easy, woods and driver can be a bit tricky (theres a knack to it) plenty of guides on-line

I do my own grips, take my time, i know there done properly that way.

D

Deleted member 1740

Stuart, think about it, how hard can it be to grip a club, i bet the young guy in the pro shop gets this job all the time.

I no where your coming from but if you want a job doing properly get a pro to do it or have a go yourself and save yourself money its your choice.

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cost me £5.50 a club for re-gripping, but that includes me buying the grip seperately. So grips were £4 and for my pro to put them on it cost £1.50.