Grips - The rubber kind - Question

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm looking, probably next weekend to re-grip all my clubs, apart from my putter.

I'm going to go with a previous classic and fit the Lamkin Crosslines.

Bit of background.

When I was at the range a few months back now, I spoke to the Pro there about grip sizes. He suggested, for my hand size, standard size grips with 2 extra layers of tape (I Assume 3 layers total incl grip tape). I've just done the Lamkin online fitting which suggests 3 extra layers (I, again assume 4 layers total) so he wasn't that far away.

My question:

If I'm building up grips to this extent would it be better to fit a midsize grip, with just the 1 layer of grip tape (not built up) or is a standard grip, built up as above (2 or 3 additional layers), nowhere near midsize?

Any thoughts appreciated.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Really cant answer your question fella but I just did the same and it says standard+++ so three layers! I know most of mine only have standard and my wedges are double wrap. Now I know why I am rubbish at this game. :D

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Really cant answer your question fella but I just did the same and it says standard+++ so three layers! I know most of mine only have standard and my wedges are double wrap. Now I know why I am rubbish at this game. :D

At leat I'm not the only one :mad:

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i'd say yes.

i went to get my clubs regripped by my local pro earlier in the year, i knew from my custom fit i was 2 extra layers of tape.
the pro recommened id go for midsize instead as it would work out the same.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think it MIGHT depend on the taper of the grip. I need mine regripped as they're far too small and face the same dilemma... to be honest i was just going to ask the pro when I (eventually) take the clubs to get done and maybe trial a couple of grips on the practice ground if he has any. I've always thought that most grips are too narrow down towards the shaft and could do with more tape under the right hand.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
The best way to tell is to try gripping a midsize one and see how that fits. A couple of extra layers is not going to take it to the size of a midsize IMHO.

How did he fit you for size? The proper way to do it is to grip a club as normal with both hands, lift the head up to waist height and take your right hand off. The tips of your two middle fingers should be just touching the fleshy part of your palm. If they are digging in then your grips are two small and need layers of tape adding and if there is a gap then your grips are too big.

Try the above with a midsize gripped club if you can.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are plenty sites on the internet showing how to measure for grips. Just do a Google search for "Golf Club Grip Size"

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would check the shaft thickness as well.

on my S300 i've only two layers of tape, had the mp 32 regripped recently and asked for two thinking the would be tha same.

Nope much thinner. in the end the pro put 5 layers on to get the same thickness as on my other irons!!!!!