Grips problem? Or not.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
The last two days have been bad ones, swing all wrong it seems. Mostly the ball gets hooked or pulled , mainly irons and fairway woods. Driver not too bad.
Same thing happening today, and as I took stance etc, I began to notice how easy it was for my grip to change the lie of the club.
Seems that when my grip was really comfortable that the face had closed. It was so easy for the club to be closed when the grip felt comfortable, and it wasn't easy to hold the club with a straight face!
When I tried to do that, the club felt uncomfortable in the grip , and gave me the impression that when the swing started it would probably go back to being closed when the strike happened.
Obvious answer- weaken the grip or take the grip with an more open face.....
But, it wasn't that easy.
If the club was rested on the ground and held loosely in the palm of one hand it seemed to naturally lie with a closed face.
Could this be possible ? Could it be a question of the how the grip is on the club, or sosmerhing like that.?
These are relatively new clubs with the original grips. Driver has a completely different grip, a wrap around type I believe it's called.
Are there grips available which tend to make the natural lie of the club open or closed?
Or is it all my imagination ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for that. Good of you to take the trouble to point me to that.
I see what he is saying. Have you or anyone used these to ascertain if what is said does actually work, or is it good marketing?
Personally I hate the Align grips. :LOL: But that's because I have a strong grip so it didn't really work for me (I never bought one, I bought a second hand wedge that had one on already). If you looking to use a neutral grip though I think that's more what they're designed for.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is not your imagination

I have had the same problem all the years I played golf.

I often lift the club so it is straight in line with eyes to check. I always try not to regrip as I know it will cause the clubface to go closed.

One factor can be is if you use grips that have ridges/ribs and these may not suit your grip. THey are meant so that you can only grip one way any slight relaxation of teh hands (if you holding open or closed and the grip will cause you to grip in another way (if you get my drift). I know they cause a closed clubface for me and if I buy a club with one on it gets changed straight away.

I think you will find align grips are ribbed.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
It is not your imagination

I have had the same problem all the years I played golf.

I often lift the club so it is straight in line with eyes to check. I always try not to regrip as I know it will cause the clubface to go closed.

One factor can be is if you use grips that have ridges/ribs and these may not suit your grip. THey are meant so that you can only grip one way any slight relaxation of teh hands (if you holding open or closed and the grip will cause you to grip in another way (if you get my drift). I know they cause a closed clubface for me and if I buy a club with one on it gets changed straight away.

I think you will find align grips are ribbed.

Cheers for that. Glad it isn't my imagination- can't be too sure at my age?.
Wonder if size of grip would make a difference. It really got to me yesterday when I played so badly I had to start thinking of something fundamental.
It is something I shall really concentrate on, and it would be great if someone has had this issue and found a tweak or remedy that gave a positive result?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have this problem of regriping before the backswing.
I have a small routine just before .
Hold club in left hand ( rh golfer) loosen grip and open face then close the face gradually until your happy it’s square.
Place right hand on and off you go.
Works for me.
Just get Tour Velvet grips just plain black.
To much hand action can be from grips that are to small.
Just get one iron done in midsize to try it out.
Good luck.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I see what he is saying. Have you or anyone used these to ascertain if what is said does actually work, or is it good marketing?
I have align grips fitted and, to be honest, don’t notice the ridge at all. It is not pronounced enough to make any difference to me . Glad they were the same price as standard grips so didn’t waste any money ?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Tried a tweak on the range today. It was encouraging.
After reading on golfdistillery.com about the effects of palm and finger grip versus fingers only grip, I tried the latter which recommends a long thumb, and I found the face seemed squarer on impact. It will take some getting used to, it didn't feel as if I had the same power, but it stopped the big pulls and hooks.
We shall see!?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Tried a tweak on the range today. It was encouraging.
After reading on golfdistillery.com about the effects of palm and finger grip versus fingers only grip, I tried the latter which recommends a long thumb, and I found the face seemed squarer on impact. It will take some getting used to, it didn't feel as if I had the same power, but it stopped the big pulls and hooks.
We shall see!?
I've just amended my grip and one of the things I've done is introduce a 'long thumb' - seems to make a difference to me.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I get the pulls or hooks it is usually grip related. I have a habit of taking my left hand grip and doing the tiniest little flick in my hands which has closed the face. I then take my right hand grip and put the club down square. It looks square but only because I've rotated my left forearm to make it look square. Sometimes I'll know at address a hook or pull hook is on the cards but takes a while for the penny to drop - doh! I correct it by taking my left hand grip with the club held in my right hand straight out front so I can see that it's square. Then put right hand on and don't allow any movement once hands are on the club. That usually feels difficult to do as I've got in the habit of the little twist when I waggle.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I have a similar issue where I tend to regrip just before taking the club back. I use ribbed grips and find they help me grip the club in a more neutral position.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Padraig Harrington has a YouTube channel and does a video about the grip - definitely worth a watch. If your hands are like shovels there is a chance the grip needs changing or perhaps an extra layer of tape or two would do the trick

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I've got the align grips. I have a tendency to over draw the ball due to a strong left hand. For the left hand I don't use the align bit I use the golf pride logo to match up to my thumb. I do use the align bit for my right hand though as it give me a marker point. I don't think these grips are the be all and end all but they are nice - I got them because during my iron fitting I liked the looks and feel of them.