Grip: Vardon V.S Interlocking

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Morning all.

As above. Is there a reason to choose one over the other?

As an indicator of hand size, I wear a medium large FJ glove and have a hand span of 207mm (Just over 8")

Any opinions, as always welcome :thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I used the interlocking up untill a few weeks ago. Now using the Vardon, more control and i bit more power.
Still struggle with the driver with it, not the results just feels funny.

I saw a bit about grips used by pro's on sky while watching a couple of weeks ago, then discussed it with a few guys in our group and they all used the vardon. All cat 1 golfers and told me to give it a try.

I started with the interlocking just bec iy felt natural.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interlocking. Tried the Vardon at the range t'other day and it was ok, but would probably take time to get used to and I'm paranoid about changing too much as I'm swinging the club ok at the minute!

sona

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use the Vardon now, my Pro changed it saying that I was getting too much tension in my forearms with the interlock.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think you will find. The interlocking makes you a bit more handsy. Where as the vardon firms the wrists up more. Also golfers with small hands tend to use the interlocking, as there is less stretch with the lower hand wrap over.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
this is what I find, maybe diff for others.
Interlocking grip gives me a more neutral grip, overlap I have a much stronger left hand.
Interlock = bad shot is a slice, overlap = better release but bad shot is a hook, a very destructive snapper!!
Like I say, just what I find I do.
Just out of interest, my hand span is similar to yours, maybe a touch bigger, but I use a mens small glove, tight fit, but then thats what I was told to do. Do you not find the larger glove is baggy or becomes loose?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
this is what I find, maybe diff for others.
Interlocking grip gives me a more neutral grip, overlap I have a much stronger left hand.
Interlock = bad shot is a slice, overlap = better release but bad shot is a hook, a very destructive snapper!!
Like I say, just what I find I do.
Just out of interest, my hand span is similar to yours, maybe a touch bigger, but I use a mens small glove, tight fit, but then thats what I was told to do. Do you not find the larger glove is baggy or becomes loose?

I wear a medium large glove JT, for the reasons you prescribe (tight fit)

I tried a large but it wasn't tight and , as you say, felt baggy and loose and had to keep adjusting it (pulling on) as the wrist closer felt loose.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
As long as you can control the club face, any grip will do.

Here's a short list of golfers who interlock...

Jack Nicklaus
Tiger Woods
Luke Donald

So, as I said to Strangleys reply. Is the grip more about comfort or function?

Or to put it another way. Does the grip have any bearing on clubface control, if so can changing help?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If it's comfortable and returns the club face to the ball in a consistent and controlled way then don't fix it.

I seem to remember yours is quite strong ?

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As long as you can control the club face, any grip will do.

Here's a short list of golfers who interlock...

Jack Nicklaus
Tiger Woods
Luke Donald

So a 66% chance of becoming a major winner with the interlocking eh?

Bob out of interest, does PGA teaching on grip evolve much? I suspect now that the advice is to try them out and see what suits the player, but when I was being taught in the late 80s and early 90s, all of us juniors had a Vardon grip and that was what we were taught. Is that just coincidence and the preference of one teacher, or was the Vardon the default teaching option at that time?

I do feel the interlocking quietens excessive wrist action down, which is a fault of mine, but it's too damn uncomfortable for me to adopt full time. I like the feel I get from Vardon... best to stick with what I've got?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So a 66% chance of becoming a major winner with the interlocking eh?

I was thinking more along the lines of
Current World no.1
Recent World no.1
Passed World no.1

When I learned I think the trend was to interlock ala Jack.
It then shifted to the Vardon for a while
But now, it's take your pick.
The PGA don't recommend either

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was thinking more along the lines of
Current World no.1
Recent World no.1
Passed World no.1

Well when you put it like that!

I've always been surprised why so many top modern players seem to interlock. Tiger for example is a big strapping lad... would his interlock be a result of learning to grip the club when he was about 2?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If it's comfortable and returns the club face to the ball in a consistent and controlled way then don't fix it.

I seem to remember yours is quite strong ?

Yes Bob you're quite right. As a guide I see 2 knuckles of the left had at address.

With a Vardon grip my left hand faces a little more towards the target (weaker?).