Grip size

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bought a second hand set of Srixon Z565 irons on eBay. I say second hand, but they’re barely used! Bargain!

Anyway, the grips are in perfect condition, but they’re mid size and I’m used to regular. If I were to get fitted, I’m sure the answer would be regular.

However, I kind of like the idea of quieter wrists in my swing generally and the midsize grip might help with that.

So would you:

a) get the replaced to what I’m used to

b) leave them on and see how it goes.

I’m inclined to go for b), but a bit concerned that i’ll mess my swing up if I do that then decide to swap to regular later on.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Try them.

I have small hands but use midsize grips. Absolutely love them, they feel more natural, they are better for my arthritis and they can aid in stopping turning the ball over.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys, good to hear it’s not necessarily the wrong way to go.

I do have a tendency to over draw the ball - at the range today, my good shots were beautiful two or three yard draws, distance was good too so not losing speed for quieter wrists.

I’ve been fitted for grips before and it’s always come back as regular. However, I’ve never done a launch monitor side by side only testing grips, don’t even know if that would be possible, but would be the only real way to say which is better.

I think it’s probably just a case of what you get used to for most people.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
One ofnthe things I've come to accept over the years is that remarkably small differences can make significant differences (both plus and minus!).

Definitely worth trying them as they are - to a degree you haven't a true comparison as the irons are new to you too.

Definitely worth checking that you aren't making potentially negative compensations through a check up with your pro after a reasonable period.

Good luck!

Will admit I'm thinking about a set of +4 grips myself (only M/L glove size though) because my fingers simply dont have the range of movements they used to.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd leave them on for now. Try them out for a few weeks and then if you really don't get on with them get them changed.

You could if you want to try the regular size on those clubs, just re-grip a couple of them and see how they feel and that way its only a coupe of grips wasted if you decide to go back to the midsize.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve used midsize grips for years now even though my hands probably aren’t big enough to warrant them but I just like the feel of them. When I use a club with normal size grips it feels like it’s going to swing out of my hands.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Grips too large may tend to produce slight pushes (depending on exactly how you swing).

Something I learnt from a custom fit when they fitted the wrong size grip- correct grip fitted and the push was gone.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks everyone. It dawned on me earlier today that I actually have 7 regular size grips in my bag (D, 3w, 2 x hybrids and 3 x wedges) and six midsize....5i - pw

Somethings got to give as the mixture makes for a strange feel...

Will leave the irons for a bit then decide

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks everyone. It dawned on me earlier today that I actually have 7 regular size grips in my bag (D, 3w, 2 x hybrids and 3 x wedges) and six midsize....5i - pw

Now the winter is here try and find a launch monitor somewhere (local range etc) and see how regular and midsize perform and whether it shows any particular shot shapes with each club. Then you'll have an ideal which type work and then get the whole set adjusted accordingly

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It is worth noting that shaft sizes are different. Steel shafts are normally either .58 or .60 butt. A midsize on the former will give the same thickness as standard on the latter (as a rough guide)

Graphite shafts will often be either .60 or .62

So in order to fully match a set (if you want them all the same) you have to choose different sizes for each type of club.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
A bump as I can't be bothered to start a new thread.

I used a thicker grip (midsize) than my normal standard size today. I liked the feel of it in my hands, and whether this is just because it's something different, I appeared to hit the ball a bit more consistently... What did you end up settling on Canary?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After a few practice sessions I grew to really like them. I’ve stuck with them. I find having a bigger grip is good for quietening my hands down a bit. I think it makes my bad shots a bit less bad.

Really pleased with everything about the irons to be honest.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Grips too large may tend to produce slight pushes (depending on exactly how you swing).

Something I learnt from a custom fit when they fitted the wrong size grip- correct grip fitted and the push was gone.
Ping used to quote something similar. Fat grips slices and skinny grips draw. However, I don’t have the biggest of hands and found this completely false for me. I have the mcc+4 golf pride grips and absolutely love them.

when I got my grips replaced I splashed out slightly and I got my pro to fit a couple of grips of varying thickness until I found what I liked. This worked really well for me.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm not usually a fanny with such things but after beating about 300 balls over 2 days with a set of irons that I had midsize with extra tape fitted on my hands were wrecked.

I was sore after day 1 but pushed through day two and it lead to me fracturing my hamate bone which put me out of golf for around 10 weeks as I kept trying to play before I was fully recovered. Couldn't physically grip a club for about 6 weeks after trying to dive back in too early.

If they feel HUGE and there putting your fingers/hands in a position your not used to just be weary. I now use midsize with extra tape however I went about the transition a little more sensibly and transitioned slowly not playing too much golf with them in one go.

Definitely been an improvement for me on the quieter hands front though and now I even midsize feel small to me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I bought a second hand fairway wood that had a thicker grip on. I didn't really like it - felt like swinging a tennis racket or something.