Grip position impact on wrist action and consequential face angles

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been having a driver disaster situation for the last few years it’s a bit streaky.
When I measure my face angles I am combined 7-8degrees open on a 2-3 degree in to out path.
I can close that with my path but I can’t reduce any other way.
Initially I thought it was my release and worked on this and ball position.
I also have set my driver loft up 1 degree and draw to close the face down to help.
All of the above minimised the open face a couple of degrees and reduced the amount of push left to right on the in to out swings and on tight or start off holes I would play out to in, sim left and drift right ( but that’s a distance killer - so pointless)
Also what feels like a lack of release is killing my distance.

Tonight I am going to try a stronger grip, the face angles are closing down from 3-4 degrees open to 1 degree shut … but to be honest this is all simulator and sensor data.

Has anyone else been through this?
I used to play hockey but I am right handed but have a very strong left hand ( can write and play darts /tennis/squash with my left hand nearly as well as the right )so I was wondering is my left hand too dominant and needs to either control it all or be taken out of the equation.
Iron play is okay .. long irons such as 24 degrees down not brilliant so hybrids are in play. But to be fair I don’t have iron dispersion issues or distance ones. Well not found out yet because I am forever hacking out 😳🤭

Springveldt

Visit site
Been having a driver disaster situation for the last few years it’s a bit streaky.
When I measure my face angles I am combined 7-8degrees open on a 2-3 degree in to out path.
I can close that with my path but I can’t reduce any other way.
Initially I thought it was my release and worked on this and ball position.
I also have set my driver loft up 1 degree and draw to close the face down to help.
All of the above minimised the open face a couple of degrees and reduced the amount of push left to right on the in to out swings and on tight or start off holes I would play out to in, sim left and drift right ( but that’s a distance killer - so pointless)
Also what feels like a lack of release is killing my distance.

Tonight I am going to try a stronger grip, the face angles are closing down from 3-4 degrees open to 1 degree shut … but to be honest this is all simulator and sensor data.

Has anyone else been through this?
I used to play hockey but I am right handed but have a very strong left hand ( can write and play darts /tennis/squash with my left hand nearly as well as the right )so I was wondering is my left hand too dominant and needs to either control it all or be taken out of the equation.
Iron play is okay .. long irons such as 24 degrees down not brilliant so hybrids are in play. But to be fair I don’t have iron dispersion issues or distance ones. Well not found out yet because I am forever hacking out 😳🤭
Is that to path or target? Either way, you must be hitting fades/slices that start right and keep going right? (assuming you are a right hander). I'm not sure how you can keep it in play off the tee with those numbers unless you are aiming 40 yards left of the fairway.

A feeling that works for me if I'm having a day of slicing it (not always, kinda like Sex Panther were 60% of the time it works every time) is having the feeling of getting the logo on my glove to point down to the ground on the downswing. Problem with that is that I can over do it and starting hitting straight pulls left as I get the face to match up to the path but I'm an over the top swinger.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No fade unless I change club path. I usually push straight out or block.
It’s combined face and path of 7-8 degrees .. I can vary the path of swing but the face is open.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s combined face and path of 7-8 degrees .. I can vary the path of swing but the face is open.
Get your grip checked, it sounds weak to me.
If you look in the mirror it should look like this

IMG_0718-1024x683.jpg

Springveldt

Visit site
Sounds more like you have the face neutral to your path then if you are hitting straight pushes and blocks?

If your face was 7-8 open (assuming target rather than path) and you are swinging 2-3 in to out (of target) then ball flight laws say you are hitting a push fade/slice as at those numbers the face is still wide open to path (by 5 degrees or so). For you to be hitting slight pushes or even a big block then you have the face neutral to path as the ball is going straight, so just aim a bit more left and hit it.
Good.
Perfect the straight pull and aim right so your path becomes straight
Problem with that is you start playing for the pull and there is the one shot were you get lazy with the glove to ground feeling and end up slicing it OB since you are aiming down the right already. 😬

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get your grip checked, it sounds weak to me.
If you look in the mirror it should look like this

View attachment 54260
Yes top is not as rotated as that, so working it to that position. The problem with the lower hand is it pulls the shoulder out to an in to out path .. I was looking at this and was wondering if it would be harmful to not be so on top of the club as it were ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds more like you have the face neutral to your path then if you are hitting straight pushes and blocks?

If your face was 7-8 open (assuming target rather than path) and you are swinging 2-3 in to out (of target) then ball flight laws say you are hitting a push fade/slice as at those numbers the face is still wide open to path (by 5 degrees or so). For you to be hitting slight pushes or even a big block then you have the face neutral to path as the ball is going straight, so just aim a bit more left and hit it.

Problem with that is you start playing for the pull and there is the one shot were you get lazy with the glove to ground feeling and end up slicing it OB since you are aiming down the right already. 😬
Yes the face is 3-4 degrees open the path is 2-3 out to in so the line is straight right.
I have tried closing the face down with out adjusting my grip and yes I got straight ones .. but is a bit fragile

Springveldt

Visit site
Yes the face is 3-4 degrees open the path is 2-3 out to in so the line is straight right.
I have tried closing the face down with out adjusting my grip and yes I got straight ones .. but is a bit fragile
Ah right, I see what you are saying, both of those figures are to target so the face is either neutral or 1 to 2 degree open to the path so you basically get a straight ball flight but are just pushing it. Have you tried the simple option of just aiming down the left side of the fairway and hitting it? If you are consistently doing what you say you are I wouldn't change anything except where I am aiming.

Either that or as Bob said, try strengthening your grip slightly to get the face closed to the path.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s the plan tonight. I was using the phi golf sensor and was working on the grip position. I suspect it will be a bit fine tuning but hopefully it will take the randomness out of my game.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tonight was positive, the change has positive impacts to driver and long irons.
It was a case of resetting a lot of stuff I was doing with the driver. I had been trying to have the driver toe up, but it wasn’t that successful for me. So I went back to my more upright position and the flight was straight and had elevation.
I do have to be careful because if I take the grip and close the face I get a snap hook.. so when I started to be a bit more process orientated I eliminated that.
I did try to hit a fade, but first was just straight and long. Then the second I increased my out to in swing plane and was more open but the amount of movement was quite small left to right .. so I need to have a bit of practice.
There is still a distance issue I think. I hit 2 6 irons one was a little flat and reached 195 yards the 2nd one I put more tilt and created more elevation and it went out to 215yards .. so that’s a positive but my driver was only carrying around 230-240yards, so that’s why I feel there is more to be had.
Once I set my position got my process down the driver was very consistent and I felt it was less of a round destroyer.
Got another session before Sunday board competition to get it more comfortable

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tonight was positive, the change has positive impacts to driver and long irons.
It was a case of resetting a lot of stuff I was doing with the driver. I had been trying to have the driver toe up, but it wasn’t that successful for me. So I went back to my more upright position and the flight was straight and had elevation.
I do have to be careful because if I take the grip and close the face I get a snap hook.. so when I started to be a bit more process orientated I eliminated that.
I did try to hit a fade, but first was just straight and long. Then the second I increased my out to in swing plane and was more open but the amount of movement was quite small left to right .. so I need to have a bit of practice.
There is still a distance issue I think. I hit 2 6 irons one was a little flat and reached 195 yards the 2nd one I put more tilt and created more elevation and it went out to 215yards .. so that’s a positive but my driver was only carrying around 230-240yards, so that’s why I feel there is more to be had.
Once I set my position got my process down the driver was very consistent and I felt it was less of a round destroyer.
Got another session before Sunday board competition to get it more comfortable
Always nice when you go with a conscious decision to change something and see some positive outcomes. Keep working hard at the next practice session and good luck for the board event

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's all about being consistent by changing as little as possible, especially during the swing.

At address, aim right which straightens out the swing path and strengthen the grip a touch, that ensures a square clubface to swingpath. Make it part of your pre-shot routine.
Then, let the swing go where it wants.

Your glove to ground idea may work for a while but how long will it be before you want to add another swing thought? Then the glove to ground may get missed entirely.
Of course you could try and straighten up the swing path but that takes years and never really becomes a natural move.

So aim right, tweak the grip and enjoy.

TigerTime

Visit site
It's all about being consistent by changing as little as possible, especially during the swing.

At address, aim right which straightens out the swing path and strengthen the grip a touch, that ensures a square clubface to swingpath. Make it part of your pre-shot routine.
Then, let the swing go where it wants.

Your glove to ground idea may work for a while but how long will it be before you want to add another swing thought? Then the glove to ground may get missed entirely.
Of course you could try and straighten up the swing path but that takes years and never really becomes a natural move.

So aim right, tweak the grip and enjoy.

If I aim right off the tee I can usually hit a decent draw down the middle of the fairway but I usually hit it off the toe. It's essentially just a pull right?

However as soon as I line up straight to target I either slice it into next week or snap hook it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If I aim right off the tee I can usually hit a decent draw down the middle of the fairway but I usually hit it off the toe. It's essentially just a pull right?

However as soon as I line up straight to target I either slice it into next week or snap hook it.
A big hook and a snap hook are 2 different beasts and caused by different things.
Right handers
1. A big hook starts straightish but finishes a long way left.
2. A snap hook starts low left and violently turns more left.
I'm guessing you mean 1. a big hook?

TigerTime

Visit site
A big hook and a snap hook are 2 different beasts and caused by different things.
Right handers
1. A big hook starts straightish but finishes a long way left.
2. A snap hook starts low left and violently turns more left.
I'm guessing you mean 1. a big hook?

Yeah largely a big hook. I have seen the odd snap hook this method also.

In short, I suck.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah largely a big hook. I have seen the odd snap hook this method also.

In short, I suck.
Line the club face to target take your grip and make sure you have not inadvertently shut the face … I do this and then I do a slow half swing to bring me to impact position to check the club face position… if they are pointing all over the place… reset or wish the ball a safe journey and good bye 🤣

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definitely positive impact on my driving and distance seems to be up. Fixed my 3 wood issue .. irons were a little rough, but not so bad .. feels like this is positive move and it’s coming together.