Grip Change

Neeko1988

Visit site
Hi All,

I have purchased a new set of grips for my irons, always had them changed at the shop but am going to do this myself this time. ive got the clamp, knife and tape but i need some solvent. What do you all recommend and have you got any useful tips for changing grips?

Thanks

Chris

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use white spirit for mine, can be cheaply purchased and not a lot needed of it. Had to use some of the wife's nail polish remover the other day to re-grip my spare putter, worked well but needed more.

As for actually doing them, I find it easy after the first couple just remember to use enough fluid and them get them lined up quickly before they start to dry out. I usually go markings down so if they are off slightly it doesn't effect my grip alignment etc.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just use white spirit.

I made the mistake of using a more 'aggressive' solvent once and lost all the writing on the shaft labels.

Try to do it somewhere cool else the solvent drys too quickly.

Ensure that all the metal edge of the shaft is covered by tape at the butt end, angle the shaft slightly down towards the butt to avoid solvent going all over the shaft, fill the grip with the solvent and use the hole in the bottom to pour it over the tape, use a small roller tray to catch the solvent refill the grip and apply a second time (about the right amount of time for the glue to dissolve).

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I just use white spirit.

I made the mistake of using a more 'aggressive' solvent once and lost all the writing on the shaft labels.

Try to do it somewhere cool else the solvent drys too quickly.

Ensure that all the metal edge of the shaft is covered by tape at the butt end, angle the shaft slightly down towards the butt to avoid solvent going all over the shaft, fill the grip with the solvent and use the hole in the bottom to pour it over the tape, use a small roller tray to catch the solvent refill the grip and apply a second time (about the right amount of time for the glue to dissolve).
All this except one application of white spirit is enough for me. I usually make a mark on my shaft in line with the logo on the old grip to make it easier to line up the new one.
It's really easy.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Use a hooked blade and be very careful when cutting the old grips off that you do not score the shaft and also take your time, work away from yourself so if the blade slips you don't cut yourself. I use grip solution, probably expensive compared to white spirit but I use a large 12" painters tray as a drip tray and reuse it so a small bottle lasts for ages.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Use a hooked blade and be very careful when cutting the old grips off that you do not score the shaft and also take your time, work away from yourself so if the blade slips you don't cut yourself. I use grip solution, probably expensive compared to white spirit but I use a large 12" painters tray as a drip tray and reuse it so a small bottle lasts for ages.
Ah yes, the curved blade. That is a must to keep the point of the blade off the shaft, as is a shaft vice grip. You can get them cheap off ebay. I use a workbench to hold my shafts in place. It protects the shaft from damage and holds it in place while you take off the old grip and put on the new ones.
I've reshafted all my clubs, steel and graphite shafted from Putter to Driver.
Profissional-PROTETOR-de-BORRACHA-VICE-GRAMPOS-APERTOS-DO-CLUBE-De-Golfe-JL-EIXO.jpg_640x640.jpg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys much appreciated, does it make any difference at all that my shafts are graphite?

graphite shafts can sometimes have bigger butts (0.62) than steel shafts (.58 or .60). I would try one grip first before cutting off the grips on all the irons. You may need either a big butt installer or grips with a bigger bore