Green side chipping from the second cut/deep rough

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chaps, been playing some steady golf of late but seem to be losing at least 7 or 8 shots on duff chips by the green side, usually in the second cut. From what I can tell my take away is fine, but I decelerate on my down swing and dont fully commit to the shot, causing me to duff the chip maybe not even a yard forward or worse thinning it across the green, my club selection is usually a wedge, 56 or 60 and it's usually 5-10 yards to the green.

Any tips/tricks or advice for me?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
FEAR
Scared of hitting it too hard and it going flying by the hole.
Lots of loft is the key and take a divot.
And dont try and be too cute. If you've short sided yourself, get it on the green somewhere and at least give yourself a putt.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A tip that has helped me is the following

Relax your arms, stiff arms destroy feel and the fluid movement

Also this helps stop the urge to decelerate

My chosen chipping style has also helped Tom Watson style worth checking his method its very good

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hate the heavy grass, it's such a pain! There's one place on my course where I often bail-out to and always regret trying to get greenside instead of laying up short (there's a tree in the way, if you are wondering).

I tend to take a small swing with plenty of loft (SW) and thump the thing!

beck9965

Head Pro
Visit site
If it's not too deep in the rough i would try a putting stroke with an 8 or 9 iron but remember to grip down have the shaft the same angle as your putter would be this will point the the toe down and make a nice smooth swing.