The second shot

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bit of advice on shot selection please on an area of the game I am struggling with.

I'm a high handicapper (25) and a short hitter - drive 220yds, 7 iron (130-140 yards).

My drive off the tee is generally good. I am struggling to know what to focus on in terms of the second shot.
My course has a lot of 400 yard par 4's. If you were me what club would you use on your second shot (long iron, wood, hybrid?) and would you aim for the green or try and lay up to chip on.

Thanks for your help.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've traditionally had the same problem. The longer the shot (off the ground) the less consistent I am at hitting it. I would suggest that at high handicap level you're better off hitting the longest club that you can hit well more often than not. Hitting a good 7 iron and leaving 80 yards to the pin from the fairway is better than duffing a wood and leaving 150 yards. I personally only hit my hybrid about twice a round. And I don't even carry a fairway wood anymore since I couldn't hit them well.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've traditionally had the same problem. The longer the shot (off the ground) the less consistent I am at hitting it. I would suggest that at high handicap level you're better off hitting the longest club that you can hit well more often than not. Hitting a good 7 iron and leaving 80 yards to the pin from the fairway is better than duffing a wood and leaving 150 yards. I personally only hit my hybrid about twice a round. And I don't even carry a fairway wood anymore since I couldn't hit them well.

Agree 100% with this. When I was off 22 I would always go for everything, usually ending up in loads of trouble. If you are off 25, use the opportunity to hit with the club your comfortable with to put you close to the the green. Then...chip and a putt. LOL

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
First off, nothing wrong with 220yds off the tee. That is 20yds further than me, 19 h/c. I play a similar course to you by all accounts, we have no par 4 shorter than 400yds, so I faced a similar scenario this year, 2nd at the club.

I have two options. For the 400yd holes where I might roll on with a perfect strike and a kind bounce I take a hybrid. I spent a lot of time, and lessons, practicing this shot. I average 170 with this club but I hit it straight and I have learnt straight is worth a bit. If I am short I am only just short but importantly I am straight (not every time but the % are getting better). You may hit your hybrid further but you need to work out the distance you can hit it, or a long iron if it is easier, consistently. Not the 1 in 10 shot but 7 in 10 (we are still amateurs and h/hcp so lets be realistic)

I've tried 5 woods, low lofted hybrids, 5 irons etc and given up on them as being too inconsistent. Better to consistently hit a club 170yds, for me, then duff the ball 50yds and hit it well 1 in 4.

For the par 4's that are 440 or near to I will lay up to a decent distance that suits. For me that is 100yds, my PW. That means I am not trying to over hit my hybrid, pointless as I will still be 40-50yds short anyway. It gets some strange looks at times from PP who are new to me but it begins to make sense to them once I explain. You need to work out what is your comfort distance.

In effect, don't beat yourself up trying to hit your second shot like Rory, it isn't worth it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I first started out I went for everything and in the long run it kept me in good stead

It is only by paying with the longer clubs as often as you can that you will gain confidence with them.

Put a lot of effort in to practicing the short game. It is the area where most shots are saved and you soon not be worried about missing the green.

I reckon that even when I was at my best I only hit about 50% of the greens in regulation.

Wolf

Visit site
For me it's like any sport play to your strengths and work on your weaknesses.

So on course if you know you can get there on a par 3 in 2, a par 4 in 3 and a par 5 in 4, then 2 putt most holes your already under your handicap and winning start. So no shame in playing each hole as an extra to par so to speak. Then use range time to slowly improve ability and accuracy with longer clubs so that overtime you can start introducing them slowly into rounds. Consistency is key and slow.and steady brings greater improvement than impatience and the hope of hitting a worldy

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd say the answer is "how well protected are the greens?".

If they're surrounded by ponds and evil bunkers, then 7 iron/wedge.

If they're fairly open, the rough isn't too close or nasty then have a go at it - 4-iron/hybrid/7 wood/whatever you carry. If it comes off then all is good. If it doesn't then you have a chip or pitch which is what you would have if you played totally safe anyway.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'd say the answer is "how well protected are the greens?".

If they're surrounded by ponds and evil bunkers, then 7 iron/wedge.

If they're fairly open, the rough isn't too close or nasty then have a go at it - 4-iron/hybrid/7 wood/whatever you carry. If it comes off then all is good. If it doesn't then you have a chip or pitch which is what you would have if you played totally safe anyway.
Here you go Yami, this is the correct answer 👍

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Similar to Beedee except, if the "protection" is where i normally miss then i'll avoid going for it, otherwise i'm green light!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bit of advice on shot selection please on an area of the game I am struggling with.

I'm a high handicapper (25) and a short hitter - drive 220yds, 7 iron (130-140 yards).

My drive off the tee is generally good. I am struggling to know what to focus on in terms of the second shot.
My course has a lot of 400 yard par 4's. If you were me what club would you use on your second shot (long iron, wood, hybrid?) and would you aim for the green or try and lay up to chip on.

Thanks for your help.

220 is not short for driver it's about average so don't worry about that, the long par 4s that I can't reach in 2 I will generally play a 7 iron to leave a wedge into green % wise this is the better option for me, if there is not to many hazards around the green I will hit a 5 wood.

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Same sort of distance off the tee, maybe a bit shorter. My best friend is a TM 24 degree Superfast Hybrid. With time and practice, it now goes consistently straight(ish). It makes a hell of a difference when you pick a club out of the bag and it gives you some confidence.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Whatever is comfortable tbh, but if there’s any doubts I’d play 7 iron and wedge - especially in a comp. Develop a shot with a 5 or 7 wood though and you’ll have lots more choices.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It depends on what hazards there are around the green.
If it's water or out of bounds, lay up.
If it's bunkers, go for it, especially if there's a bunker in front of the green.
Practice your bunker shots though.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bogey golf is the answer. You get a shot so dont be thinking about hitting in 2 for birdies. A 5 is a net par so use your shot. If you par the longer holes with a good chip and putt its a bonus. I was off 21 (probs be 28 now). When i scored well it was when i played simple. I had birdied every hole at my course so would go out trying to birdie everything and playing crap. One hole at a time, lay up to your fave distances and above all else dont put pressure on yourself.
(I am out tomorrow so this post has reminded me how i need to be approaching it so thanks)

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lots of good advice in here so far but one thing that will help your game is course management, look at the S.I of the hole, as you are 25 Handicap you will have 2 shots on the course against S.I 1 - 7, these holes are were you should be looking to take advantage of that, keep the ball in play, don't take risks. Play shots that you know you can hit at least 7 times out of 10 and your scores will come crashing down as well as your handicap.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Similar handicap to you and my go to reliable shot is between 160-180 with my G10 hybrid. This shot is much more reliable that my 5 iron. If I'm not feeling confident then I'd use my 8 iron 110/120 and then hit a wedge in. If you're on the green in 3 and can 2 putt that it's happy days.

I'm great at giving sensible advice but never use it myself - I'd probably take out my fairway and either duff it 50 yards or slice it right into the cabbage and walk off with a blob.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think one question you have to ask yourself before taking any advice is what are your strengths and weaknesses, outside of driving the ball?

It's all well and good saying, lay up to 50-80 yds, but are you good with your wedges or do your struggle with them?

Are you good or bad at bunker shots?

How's your chipping?

It could be you'd be better off risking the hybrid and using your good short game, or you could be best laying up and using your good wedge play.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
For along time I played like that. Play it safe all the time.
Just hit the ball. Even if you miss hit. Your still advancing the ball. Take the chance that you’ll hit a good one.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
All this talk of laying up is quite foreign to me. Right from the start I always took the club I thought I needed to reach the green, unless there was some really bad hazard ahead. I think that, doing this, could hold back your game because you'd lose the experience of hitting the longer irons in actual play & wouldn't get as much experience pitching over bunkers when pin high. The fact that you get one or two shots on a hole shouldn't come into it, you're trying to play the hole in the fewest number of shots irrespective of the stroke situation. I can see this tactic perhaps being used in competition but I wouldn't enjoy it at all in casual play.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What’s your miss (with a long iron/hybrid). Mine is short right, if there’s water or thick unplayable rough short right and I don’t fancy it I’ll lay up. Every other time I’ll go at it, but if you’re not confident out of a bunker for example same rules apply.

Figure out what your miss is. Miss smarter. I play with low guys and they don’t hit every fairway or green in reg, but it’s so rare to see them in big trouble. It’s not being negative to play a shot that can’t torpedo your card whether youve played it well or not