Green Fees

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Has this been talked about before

No doubt but it's your thread and your opinion that's important here. What's your take?

(Even if no one replies then at least you've got it off your chest. If it's a question then someone will have an answer.)

bunkered

Head Pro
Visit site
Just wondered what we all pay and if you get value for money, are there still clubs out there that charge a joining fee.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I pay around 25-35 for a round when playing away from home!!
i like to keep it under 70pound, if i go elsewhere i wouldnt mind the odd round at st andrews old course for a few quid extra but only now and then etc

T

thecraw

£630 this year. It really is disgusting what we get charged.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just wondered what we all pay and if you get value for money, are there still clubs out there that charge a joining fee.

i'm doing a lot of research into this at the moment having looked closely at about 45 different clubs in my locale with a view to joining.

Findings:

Visiting Green fees:(undiscounted) a spread from £20 to £150 per round with the median at somewhere about £35. Many clubs endorse a voucher scheme of some description which under some conditions can bring down costs dramatically.

Annual green fees- for an 18 track most weigh in round here(here being the home counties) at a gnats gonad over over £1000 on average. The odd one much, much more...

Fair do's if you like the place and plan to use it. A basic formula that might help is to take the AGF and divide it by the number of anticipated rounds. If the figure is equal of lower than the VGF for that track then your in(bearing in mind you may find discounts, preferencial bookings,Union fees, H/c's and other benefits to membership on top for your money)

A few years ago, when I knew even less than I do now I sent an e-mail to one Tim Yeo who had written an interesting piece in one of the sundays asking him for advice. Turned out it was Tim Yoe MP who kindly replied and pointed me in the right direction. Turns out he plays/played nomad and loves the game. Fair enough.

Joining Fee's - yep , still alive and kicking. I even had one club that insisted that in addition to paying a joining fee I took out a further 4 figure capital 'bond' to pay for improvement to facilities! For those sort of conditions I want a chauffeur driven limo to come and pick me up and take me to the club where a nubile female caddie dressed like catwoman will be waiting for me on the first tee. Surprise surprise this wasn't in the deal.

I know why they do it- because they can and in some ways I don't blame them. The only problem is 1) it still won't stop a certain type of monied hooray from joining 2) to suggest that it provides something extra for ones money is tantamount to lying.

Value for money- almost impossible to say. It's such a subjective thing isn't it? If you have a good round in good company in fine weather then £80 is good value. A bad round, with idiot companions in the peeing rain @ £5 is not etc.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
£630 this year. It really is disgusting what we get charged.

not much really

think about it if your club has 6 green keepers on 15 grand a year thats 90,000 on wages bearing in mind they get more for head gks and assistant heads etc. Then you got there machines + maintenance, fuel etc. Sand for bunkers etc waste removal etc. New trees to plant, supplies for renerwing tees and greens.
plus loads more i dont know about.
your 630 about 100 ~ goes to the tax man.

you got the upkeep of the club house, cleaning, bar staff etc. Paperwork, paying accountants etc

Club diaries trophys etcs scorecards and planners, bag tags ........the list goes on

It costs a shed load more than you expect to run just a small club! so ican pretty much justify 630 a year,
just think what els 630 pound can buy... Not a lot eg Sky subscription for a year! A set of clubs...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Royal Ascot is approx £1000 per year and there was the ubiquitous joining fee which was about the same again. However I have heard rumours that there is a shortage of members and this was being waived now.

From a normal members perspective it isn't too bad given we are surrounded by so called prestigious clubs (Wentworth, The Berkshire, Swinley Forest, Mill Ride etc). As I have elluded on numerous occasions once that annual fee is paid your golf is unlimited and you can play on a roll up basis (subject to the tee being booked for a competition).

Members are encouraged to join in with the monthly stableford and medals and the club also runs a number of inter-club matches as well as single and pairs events throughout the year. Pretty standard stuff I know.

What seals it for us is that we moved from an 18 hole course in the middle of the race course which was only looked after by the race course staff (no dedicated greenkeeper etc) and which was pretty much a pitch and putt course in the summer to a course which has only been open 3 1/2 years and which has matured magnificently and has had continuing work (drainage on tees and fairways, planting and thinning of trees) done on it.

We have hosted BBO colts and womens events, a Southern area PGA event. In essence I think I get substantial value for money and when I calculate how many times I play per year it worked out to the equivalent of around £10 per round. Try getting a green fee with that sort of access elsewhere in the home counties!

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Royal Ascot is approx £1000 per year and there was the ubiquitous joining fee which was about the same again. However I have heard rumours that there is a shortage of members and this was being waived now.

From a normal members perspective it isn't too bad given we are surrounded by so called prestigious clubs (Wentworth, The Berkshire, Swinley Forest, Mill Ride etc). As I have elluded on numerous occasions once that annual fee is paid your golf is unlimited and you can play on a roll up basis (subject to the tee being booked for a competition).

Members are encouraged to join in with the monthly stableford and medals and the club also runs a number of inter-club matches as well as single and pairs events throughout the year. Pretty standard stuff I know.

What seals it for us is that we moved from an 18 hole course in the middle of the race course which was only looked after by the race course staff (no dedicated greenkeeper etc) and which was pretty much a pitch and putt course in the summer to a course which has only been open 3 1/2 years and which has matured magnificently and has had continuing work (drainage on tees and fairways, planting and thinning of trees) done on it.

We have hosted BBO colts and womens events, a Southern area PGA event. In essence I think I get substantial value for money and when I calculate how many times I play per year it worked out to the equivalent of around £10 per round. Try getting a green fee with that sort of access elsewhere in the home counties!

Sounds like i nice little setup.

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
i am £40 a month and had no joining fee(but this was a special to get new members)

Do i find it worth the money? yes as its £35 a round in the summer £15 at the winter, I also have the ability to book tee times online months in advance and full use of the facility's and at 1 round and 2 holes a month i have covered my fee's.

I think it boils down to do you feel you are getting value for money or not, or are you prepared to pay over the odds for a course that you like more than others or i suppose some feel superior when there a member of club x as it must be better it cost more.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice little cartel in my area, all of the clubs charge membership of about £600.00 with most having a joining fee up to £500.00. The course I am a member of now (Rutland Water) is a small club with a small par and decent pro shop, range and par 3 course. The other club which is nearer to me has better facilities but there are issues with members actually getting on the course due to it having a hotel, societies and a fair number of pay as you play golfers.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
MVP

It really is great. The clubhouse has been described by visitors as the best private members "pub" they have seen. Strangers will be welcomed and old hands will be subjected to murderous joshing at regular intervals.

Good food, subsidised beer (thanks to a bar levy) and good surroundings. Anyone interested in playing a round (HTL I haven't forgotten you) PM and I'll see what I can do

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm £540 for 2 courses plus £10 to the Gents section. Its a hotel that owns the courses so not a club in that sense although we do get very good access to the courses.

It was and still is a £500 joining fee which is becoming more and more unusual round here. Alot of clubs are waiving the joining fee or reducing it to a nominal payment.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its the old horses for courses (sic) adage. Many of our forum members are happy with a pay and play or nomadic existence as that suits their pockets and golfing requisites.

Others like me use it almost as a 2nd home and once the lighter nights gets going will be there on the practice ground or playing a few holes most evenings

The one thing this thread and those before it has highlighted to me is the enormous variance in costs for basically the same product (e.g a course and clubhouse). OK granted some have practice facilities, decent pro shops and other additional extras but for the simple cost of playing golf and having a drink their can be up to £800+ difference.

Strange world this planet golf!!