Great course or great company?

D

Deleted member 18121

Company for me, but I just hope I never have to play again with a rules know-it-all. Walking down every fairway with their rule book out quoting this that and the other was the most painful round I've every endured.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Company would edge it, but if it was the only chance of playing a great course with naff company that I'd rather not play with, then I'd suck it up and just drive and hit my ball along the anti-social route, so in essence, I'd play how I usually do :eek:

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
works the other way too, I've twice played Selsdon Manor which is a nice course but nothing special, both times the weather has been amazing, had really good playing partners and played decent golf, and they both stick in my head as some of the best rounds of golf and Selsdon is now one of my favourite courses to play
Next time you visit your playing partners will be long-horned cattle and Exmoor ponies.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Course for me.

I very rarely play with randoms. If I was and someone was being that much of a non they were spoiling the day for others, I would tell them.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I look back and remember vividly holes I’ve played at great courses. I don’t really pine for Jeff who was a good sport one day 4 years ago. I agree that bad company can ruin it. That’s why when I go to play a great course as much as possible I try to book on my own or as a two ball maximum. Can be done. You roll the dice with people unfortunately and when you’re paying big money for what might be a one off occasion- playing it solo (with or without a caddy) is an absolute joy.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Had a lot of fantastic courses around us when we lived in Spain, but I missed the craic that I'd had before we moved when I was a member at my local course in West Yorkshire.
Great courses stick in the memory, but for making golf enjoyable - I'd go for great company every single time.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Company for me, played the Torrence course at St Andrews in a 3 man team competition, one guy was great other guy was a complete pain all round,I had a tap in par on the first then he whacked the ball back to me
I wasn’t pleased and told him he can’t do that as we’re playing a comp, he also cheated playing a ball he knew wasn’t his , I marked a blob for that hole and never spoke to him again.

JayB

Visit site
Always be company for me, I don't mind where I play as long as it's a reasonable standard, ie shouldn't be closed due to knee deep in mud. It seems I have a different outlook on golf to a lot of people, I don't dream of playing at places like St Andrews, to me it's just another course.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It shouldn't be an either or situation. If I am going to the expense of playing a great course I will endeavor to do it in good company.
I guess occasionally you can be in a competition when you are drawn with bad company but that can happen on any course.
even the best company may not ammeliorate poor conditions. There have been times with good friends when adverse weather and muddy conditions have called for abandonment to the club house.

Albo

Visit site
Course for me every single time.
I have loads of opportunities to play with good company, if I have to suck up some bad company to play a very good track I’ll take that in a heartbeat

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Company 99.9999% of the time.

I’d play with anyone round Augusta 😂 air horn me, throw things at me, berate me, laugh at me all you want - it’s Augusta and I’m having the time of my life no matter what! 😂

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Were the opportunity to arise for me to play a very top course, and if I had to pay I could afford it then, 5 yrs on from my original post on this thread, I would play and take my chances with the company. We can’t see around the corner of life and the opportunity might not come again.

Last edited:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I know a few lads like that and I’d pick great company every time. If you find the right partners then you’ll go to half decent courses anyway.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always company for me. Not bothered about paying silly money to play top courses anyway. I could play basically anywhere and be guaranteed to have a great day with my usual mates that I play with. If I was looking forward to playing a top course that I'd got as a freebie, then had to spend those four hours with some absolute tit - no thanks.