Graphite shafts in wedges.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having switched to PXG irons with graphite shafts, the pro suggested at my lesson yesterday that I should consider switching to graphite shafted wedges.
Never even thought about this, has anyone else tried this and are there any cons to doing this ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got a set of Mizuno irons with Aerotech Steefiber i110s graphite shafts, and then added matching Mizuno wedges with the same shaft. The shaft is a bit heavier than some graphites. I am not sure the graphite feels very different to steel, a little less jarring if you don't catch it right, like most graphites.

What was the reason the pro recommended, less weight?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used graphite shafts in wedges for years to match my irons but it was a time when I used stiff graphite shafts.

On a similar vein when I tried to match the wedges with the lightweight shafts I had in my irons I very quickly changed them back to heavier steel shafts.

It would very much depend on what you mean by wedges as well and what you do with them. To me mid 40s wedge then match definitely, 50 maybe, anything more than 50 stick with steel.

To me when it comes to wedges control is more important than distance.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’ve got them in my wedges. They originally matched the shafts in the irons I had and where the same swing weight.

I have different irons now but the same wedges. The wedge shafts are a bit softer and lighter, but I love them. I believe I can feel the head position better than I could with the previous heavy shafts.

Can’t see me going back to steel.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got a set of Mizuno irons with Aerotech Steefiber i110s graphite shafts, and then added matching Mizuno wedges with the same shaft. The shaft is a bit heavier than some graphites. I am not sure the graphite feels very different to steel, a little less jarring if you don't catch it right, like most graphites.

What was the reason the pro recommended, less weight?

Yes.
I might look into getting the wedges reshafted rather than buying new wedges.
The set has irons at 43 (Their PW) and GW (48) with MMT 70g shafts so id only be looking at get my 54 and 58 * Mizuno wedges changed.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Yes.
The set has irons at 43 (Their PW) and GW (48) with MMT 70g shafts so id only be looking at get my 54 and 58 * Mizuno wedges changed.

Will the wedge head weights not throw the swing weights out if you reshaft them with graphite?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes.

One of the things is that wedge steel shafts/ heads are generally .355 taper tip/hosel.

I am not sure you can buy taper tip graphite shafts. However if the Mizzie heads are forged they can be drilled out to .350 parallel.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes.

I am not sure it is worth the dough. Would you consider buying some wedges with a lighter weight steel shaft, a KBS 90, Nippon GH 950, TT DG 95 or something similar?