GPS watch

Bbothwell

Hacker
Visit site
Currently use a range finder. What do people typically use? Thinking of swapping one for a GPS watch. Don't really like taking the time to use it on every shot when nobody else is doing so

Not enough posts yet to post in the selling thread - but anyone selling theirs?

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I currently use an Apple Watch and an app called Fun Golf GPS, works well for me.

I previously used a Garmin S2 Approach which worked fine but the information is less detailed.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I use both, Have a Tom Tom Golfer 2 which I use most of the time, but when I need more accuracy, say within 150 yards of the flag, I have a Callaway Rangefinder.

Couple of added benefits - quick glance at my watch for centre of the green yardage before using the rangefinder ensures little chance of false readings, as I know roughly what to expect, so avoiding false readings if it focused on a tree behind the flag for instance.

Also like the watch feature of showing distance of current shot. Very useful if you hit in the rough and are looking for your ball as the watch gives you a good idea of where to look if you know your yardages with each club.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've had both with me in my last two rounds on two different courses in two days, yesterday and today, hardly ever looked at my watch at all over the 36 holes.......but is good for fairway bunkers/hazards.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I just bought a Bushnell Neo Ion (haven’t used it yet), but a few of my PP’s have one and they love it. I personally went for a watch because I like the idea of having a quick look at my wrist for yardage’s. I’ll probably get a rangefinder as well over the summer, but for the level of accuracy I need the watch should serve me well.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another watch user here.

My clubbing yardages aren't anywhere near accurate enough to warrant me using a range finder as 10 yards either longer or shorter is entirely possible.

But If I know I have 130 yards to go approx. then that's fine. It'll be driver* every time.

*I do not have the benefit of Forum Distances on my side. :thup:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I have a gps watch (Germin Approach S2). Normally it is all the info I need and it only takes one glance. The only time I sometimes miss a rangefinder is in winter when play is to temporary greens, in which case the watch becomes pretty much useless. But then again ... even if you hit a temporary green, the ball probably won't stay on anyways.

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Garmin S1 gets the job done for most of the time. Front, back, middle. Takes a few seconds to consider your distance from these options. I'm sure there are better and more advanced watches and rangefinders for players needing more exact numbers but I've found this is enough for me.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Currently use a range finder. What do people typically use? Thinking of swapping one for a GPS watch. Don't really like taking the time to use it on every shot when nobody else is doing so

Not enough posts yet to post in the selling thread - but anyone selling theirs?

Have a look at shotscope v2 £220 has a GPS watch and a tagging system like arccos so you can track you shots stats ect

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have a look at shotscope v2 £220 has a GPS watch and a tagging system like arccos so you can track you shots stats ect
they are also bring an update soon to give distances to hazzards

I have the v2 and works great, the only downside is battery life as you will only get 1 round from a charge and it takes ages to charge

snakehips

Hacker
Visit site
Garmin S3 Approach is great, except when you connect it up to charge and it doesn't - you have to push the connector in to make sure it's engaged, and I believe newer models have a more robust connector with a clamp

For front and back of green distances it's invaluable and saves time pacing out distances from 150 posts and sprinkler heads (if your course is lucky enough to be marked up in that way). Loads of courses pre-loaded, no subscription and free course updates when you connect it to a pc via the charger cable

Useful piece of kit

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been using a Garmin X40 for around a month now, excellent for f/m/b to greens and hazard distances. Also use a Bushnell laser for more accurate yardages usually around 150 and less.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use the Garmin S5 which has a touch screen. Shows the hole, and you can click where ever you want and it gives distances to it, e.g. bunkers, water etc. Very useful when decided to go for it or lay up on par 5s.