Goswick GC, The Glen, Gullane

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve got the opportunity to go on a 3 day tour, playing these 3 courses in May of this year, for the princely sum of £125 (playing Gullane #1) or £80 (play8ng Gullane #2)

Ive never played any of them, but have read good stuff about Gullane.

sounds like a really good trip, would appreciate any feedback from our NE and Scottish stalwarts

thanks in advance

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played an open at goswick several years back, the course is great, really enjoyable. For 125, I would def take it on, sounds like a steal!

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would definitely go for it, great deal. Haven't played goswick but have heard good things and the other two a great too. Really enjoyed Gullane 1, when I played it the Monday after the Scottish open in 15, I know it was a slightly different course but still a great round.

U

User62651

I knocked it round The Glen in level par off the yellows on my one and only visit......with a bad shoulder. I did putt very well though and there was no wind. Needs wind for any defence.

I was about the equivalent of an 8 handicapper at that time so would suggest it's reasonably easy and not that exciting, bit of a holiday course imo. A few good holes and terrific views of Bass Rock of course. I did enjoy it but by all accounts it's not a patch on North Berwick GC at the other end of town, never had the chance to play that unfortunately.

Played Gullane 2 a few times, looks straightforward but scoring is quite hard I've found, greens are tricky, nice track but can be a bit head down slog, on a hilltop by the seaside so catches a lot of wind. recall finishing there very tired. Haven't played No.1.

Last edited by a moderator:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
played Goswick a few times when they used to have the ENG V Scot Ryder cup matches there. it was an OK course, with a couple of quirky holes from what i remember.

Play Gullane quite often and i like 2 more than 1 TBH.

not played the Glen, so can't comment on that.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What a great deal - how did you get that? Are you being signed on anywhere?

Goswick (with the exception of the poor opening hole) is an excellent and challenging course.

The Glen is good fun and not easy as someone else suggested but then I have never played it in zero wind. Holes 12 and 13 are very memorable.

All Gullane courses are very good, personally I would save £45 and play #2.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't really remember much about the Glen, only played it once donkey's years ago. I agree with Patrick - Goswick is an OK course but not brilliant, I was a bit disappointed as I was expecting good things. Played it at the back end of last season and I think they'd gone to winter tees on some holes which didn't help - you shouldn't have that issue in May. Gullane #1 and #2 are both good, I prefer #1 but there's maybe not £45 worth of difference between them.

Anyway - great deal - all courses worth playing I'd say go for it!

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What a great deal - how did you get that? Are you being signed on anywhere?

Goswick (with the exception of the poor opening hole) is an excellent and challenging course.

The Glen is good fun and not easy as someone else suggested but then I have never played it in zero wind. Holes 12 and 13 are very memorable.

All Gullane courses are very good, personally I would save £45 and play #2.

Our club captain last year has arranged it for me and another member who helped him out for his charity effort throughout the year, he has friends at The Glen and Goswick who are playing with us and picking up the tab, and he bought the Gullane 4ball in a charity auction.

We will pay the equivalent of 50% of the green fee, to be paid to the captains charity. I think it’s a win all round to be honest, I’ll do the driving and we’ll let him choose whether we play 1 or 2 at Gullane.