Reg/Stiff/Ping Eye 2 & Big Bertha’s

AdamJ82

Visit site
Hi everyone,
I’m new to the group so thanks for the acceptance.

I have a dilemma and was hoping for some advice....

I had some nice mizuno MX-19’s, stiff shaft, 3/4 inch longer than standard and jumbo grips and I liked them a lot. I’m only a beginner so handycap 20 but enjoyed the clubs... a friend of mine said they should be good for me. Ex-pro.

Anyway.... They got stolen!! 6 years ago and having had my first child I haven’t played since so haven’t bothered replacing.

3 months ago I decided to take it back up and my dad (75) has lent me his old mizuno MX20’s, reg carbons shafts. I’ve been to the range almost every day since and decided that If I’m gonna get the big again I might need to think about a new set as I’m worried they are a bit floppy for me being 35, 6ft2 and a good 17 stone. (190cm and 112kgs).

So I jumped online to research the best decent priced clubs on the market for price vs forgiveness as a high handicapper. After hours and hours of research I decided the general concencus is ping eye 2’s or Original Big Berthas.
So guess what, I bought both! (Well they’re like 70 pounds a set and at the end kf be day they fetch what they sell for easily and I’m no stranger to eBay so thought I’d try both and sell the ones I least like....

I chose a stiff shaft in the ping, and went for green dot as it the chart seems to say I’d be best suited to those and the big b’s are reg steels.....

So now I’ve been to he range 10 times....and here’s the outcome.....

The pings feel like hitting the ball with concrete railways sleeper... Jesus it hurts..the grips are very small/narrow which doesn’t feel as nice as my original junbos .. but they ricochet through the shaft to my fingers and I’m not feeling the magic! 4 out of 10 feel pure, the rest feel awkward, tough and the tragectory is to the left, low and bad. And that’s off a matt!! I’ve tried slowing the swing but I’m really struggling with them.

The Taylor made’s feel better, but they are quite ugly thick on the top, the grips are slightly thicker, maybe mediums but I seem to hit the sweet spot more with those.. but the pings are held in such high esteem!!!

Having taken all 3 sets down to the range, I’ve found believe it or not that the bloody old mizunos with my 20 yr old dads shafts seem to be the most reliable and consistent.

Now I know swing has 100% to do with it but I’d like advice to decide which clubs to commit too before going for fitting and selling the others......

The carbon Mizounos feel the easiest to hit but as a big strong guy it just doesn’t feel right playing with that type of shaft and the reason for looking at a new set was because I don’t really get on on the course too well with them...

The pings are renowned to be possibly the best clubs ever made and sending them back due to my experiments seems stupid. Maybe it was the stiff shafts that have caused the problem. Or maybe the horrible slim grips??....

Or should I stick with the Taylor mades?.....

Which do I take to get fitted and commit too??? Should I get junbos fitted on the pings or tm’s Or send em both back and stick with dads cast-offs??

Any advice appreciate
Thanks in advance....

Last edited:

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
And there’s a whole thread on trolling......

I've read his post three times and still no idea what he's on about :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, to the OP, do what you like best and generally ignore most of the rubbish advice you get on here and the vast majority of them couldn't hit a barn door from 10 paces themselves. (y)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'd guess the heads of all three sets are going to be pretty similar in terms of forgiveness. (Although I'm not sure exactly what you have as Big Bertha were a Cleveland product and you're mentioning Taylor Made?)

While the Ping Eyes were extremely popular back in their day and were some of the first game improvement (GI) irons, they're not the best clubs ever made now. Modern GI clubs are far more forgiving but there are arguments for and against using them when learning the game.

Of the three sets you have I'd just play whichever feel the most natural to you, even if they turn out to be the Mizunos.
Have you been on the course with them yet? The actual playing experience can be very different to the range.
If the grips on the Pings aren't thick enough then it'd be worth getting some thicker grips on them as this may transform their appeal.

AdamJ82

Visit site
I think he might be insinuating that my question could be popular.... not sure though 🤔.

Ignoring the advice on here wasn’t quite my intention 😂... I came on here for it....

I suppose the advice I want is which club to stick with?... if I was to choose now then the mizunos are the most reliable, but with big Bethan’s and ping eyes 2’s being the go-to clubs for 20 years, who am I to sell them after only a week. Surely the advice would be to persist with a stiff shaft with my frame don’t you think?.... or maybe just switching from the carbon mizunos to the steel Bertha’s is the right step...

Mm🤔🤔🤔🤔

AdamJ82

Visit site
Sorry. Yes... big berthas are bloody Callaways!!!! Whoops. (Forget anything mentioning Taylor made lol)....

I agree, the pings don’t feel very comfortable, the grips don’t help and it doesn’t feel like they’ve got grips on at all they are that thin. But they’re a damn sight heavier too.... maybe that’s the issue...

Yes I’ve been out of the course with the mizunos, several times I’ve last 3 months. I seem to hook them terribly. I’d put it down to my strength at 90+ swing speed last time in checked and assumed it was cos my dads senior bendy shafts didnt suit me.

Who knows??

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry. Yes... big berthas are bloody Callaways!!!! Whoops. (Forget anything mentioning Taylor made lol)....

I agree, the pings don’t feel very comfortable, the grips don’t help and it doesn’t feel like they’ve got grips on at all they are that thin. But they’re a damn sight heavier too.... maybe that’s the issue...

Yes I’ve been out of the course with the mizunos, several times I’ve last 3 months. I seem to hook them terribly. I’d put it down to my strength at 90+ swing speed last time in checked and assumed it was cos my dads senior bendy shafts didnt suit me.

Who knows??
Last thing I would worry about here is the shafts.

Your club head speed certainly doesn't scream stiff.

However, its entirely possibly that your transition is aggressive and that heavier stiffer shafts will calm that to a degree - won't help with performance, and a better solution would be to get a professional to resolve the underlying issue.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Who knows??

I would imagine with your ‘strength’ then it must be you. Don’t worry that you are playing with ‘wooden tennis rackets’ and just worry about the rest of it.

What isn’t your handicap - 54?!

AdamJ82

Visit site
Ok, so I’ve decided to order some jumbo’s.
still can’t decided if I should put them on the big bertha’s or the ping eye 2’s..... I’d be gutted if the grips felt great on the pings but still felt like I was hitting a lamppost with a metal stick...... at least the big berthas do feel a little nicer and seem to find the sweet spot more often dislike the bloody ugly flat thick surface your staring at when you look down lol....

AdamJ82

Visit site
Last thing I would worry about here is the shafts.

Your club head speed certainly doesn't scream stiff.

However, its entirely possibly that your transition is aggressive and that heavier stiffer shafts will calm that to a degree - won't help with performance, and a better solution would be to get a professional to resolve the underlying issue.

Thanks for the input. Maybe my swing speed is a little low because I’ve dropped it down substantially to try and hit these bloody pings!!...