Golf's greatest underachievers!

My_HarrisTweed_Cap

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just wondering who you would class in golf's greatest underachievers category.

For me the two who stick out are:

Greg Norman. A beautiful swinger of the golf club with oodles of talent who really flattered to deceive and probably didn't have it mentally to be ruthless when in contention or in the lead. An amazing ball striker, amongst the best I've ever witnessed and such an aggressive player who should have won more than two major titles.

Sandy Lyle, very similar to Norman in that he was an amazing ball striker but was probably more of a natural and feel player who lost it completely. When the late great Seve holds you in such high regard it shows what sort of stature your held in. Another who had the ability to do so much more but didn't.

Thoughts?

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Think its a tad harsh to label Greg Norman as an underachiever. The man has won something like 90 tournaments across all the tours he's competed on, including a pair of Open Championships. Granted, he could have/should have won more majors, but I'd say he's far from being an underachiever.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree in respect to the point of "could have done so much more" on both counts.
Lyle especially had a precocious talent IMO but for what ever reason didn't tranpose that talent in to more majors.

In respect of wins and winnings though (majors aside), I would still give my right nut to have had an ounce of their overall success.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Greg Norman. A beautiful swinger of the golf club with oodles of talent who really flattered to deceive and probably didn't have it mentally to be ruthless when in contention or in the lead. An amazing ball striker, amongst the best I've ever witnessed and such an aggressive player who should have won more than two major titles.

Thoughts?

Interesting alright , Personally i wouldn't have classed GN as an underachiever , but now you mention it , maybe you are right and he should have won more ,

just to flip it a bit, if as you think he didnt have it mentally to be ruthless enough , then maybe he actualy achieved all his talents would allow him to achieve , the mental game is so important & there more to golf than just swinging the club ..

so maybe he under achieved technicaly and achieved or over achieved mentaly

Does that make any sense ?

Maybe in time we will have to throw Poulter and Westwood into this mix aswell

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Seve himself would have to be in the 'unserachiever' category!

In the '"Ddn't achieve" one Monty is the stand-out. Dominated Euro Golf for years, yet no Major.

In the "Hasn't achieved" Westwood currently going through some similar pain. Rory has 'potential' in this area too!

My_HarrisTweed_Cap

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Seve himself would have to be in the 'unserachiever' category!

In the '"Ddn't achieve" one Monty is the stand-out. Dominated Euro Golf for years, yet no Major.

In the "Hasn't achieved" Westwood currently going through some similar pain. Rory has 'potential' in this area too!

Mr Foxholer (I assume from the way you come across your male!) you are an absolute star. I was actually scared to put Seve down as an underachiever as I assumed the forum would gang up on my opinion again. I have the exact same views on Seve. He had more talent and ability than anyone. He was in an era that included so many top players but he had the beating of them due to his ferocious mindset and never say never attitude.

I think doubt began to creep in with the late great Seve.

Rip.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think Freddie Couples is one of golfs underachievers, ok the guy has a major but if you've ever seen him play as I have it does make you wonder why Freddie wasn't one of golfs superstars.

Society_Fan

Head Pro
www.rigsgolf.co.uk
Off the top of my head.

Simply put,Majors ae the yard stick!

So on the list are

Yes: Monty, Westwood, Garcia, Donald, Poulter, KJ Choi, Casey,

No: Seve (14 in the all time list is not too bad).You have to remeber that Majors are hard to win!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Off the top of my head.

Simply put,Majors ae the yard stick!

So on the list are

Yes: Monty, Westwood, Garcia, Donald, Poulter, KJ Choi, Casey,

No: Seve (14 in the all time list is not too bad).You have to remeber that Majors are hard to win!

I find it strange Poulter is in this discussion when he is generally viewed as being one of golfs over achievers? He joined the party late, didnt have a stellar amateur career but has won a few WGC event and done well in a few of the majors.

Garcia for me is one that must be viewed as the biggest underachiever in our current time.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sergio would have to be in there

On the current tour when relating talent to honours won it's got to be Garcia

Yup vote #3 for Sergio. Incredible talent but looks like his head will always get the better of him. That quote about not being good enough to win majors was ridiculous from somebody of his ability.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find it strange Poulter is in this discussion when he is generally viewed as being one of golfs over achievers? He joined the party late, didnt have a stellar amateur career but has won a few WGC event and done well in a few of the majors.

Garcia for me is one that must be viewed as the biggest underachiever in our current time.

Can't disagree with anything you've said there! Poulter's attitude has made him a better golfer than his ability should allow!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Considering the money I've spent on magazines, training aids, lessons and clubs over the years I'm pretty rubbish and really should be breaking 100 more than I do.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
No way IMO Norman is an underachiever he lost 2 playoffs to shots holed from off the green and that is down to pure bad luck! Won more than most pro's tournament wise, brought Cobra Golf right to the fore multi million pound business assets covering a vast array of products/services etc..

If Norman is an underachiever then that has to mean Langer is the same and could have won a lot more same goes for Woosie and many others of that era.

What about Fred Couples, Davis Love, Monty, Sergio, or to be controversial Arnold Palmer he never won all 4 of the majors now did he or have I got that wrong!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry I cant agree with Seve being an underachiever.

5 majors despite his back and health problems. Think of all the great players the world has seen that haven't won a single major.