Golfing milestones you would like to achieve?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

sunshine

Visit site
I think as with hole in ones, anything that requires that much luck isn't really a milestone I'm focused on achieving, if you know what I mean. If it happens it happens.

I get this. Avoiding double bogeys takes skill and concentration and consistency. It’s a target.

Hole in one is pure luck.

Having said that, 13th and 14th at Haste Hill are back to back 250 yard par fours, so if I was a member I would be looking for at least one eagle every summer.

sunshine

Visit site
No driveable par 4s at my club. The one hole that's maybe short enough is protected by a big ditch across the front of the green so not trying that. :p

I guess you are referring to your new club?

4 driveable par fours at Haste Hill!

13 and 14 reachable for many people. I’ve driven 13 with a 5 wood in summer, would have been well over the back with driver. And I’m not a big hitter!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I reckon the back to back Eagles would be possible at my club, downwind our 3rd and 4th become driveable par 4s.

The 3rd is 330yard but downhill, if you had the wind and cleared the cross bunker at 265 yards you could sneak it on on a dry and windy summers day.

The 4th is a 270yd uphill par 4 which I've driven before with the wind but never managed to eagle it.

In fact I've never had an eagle I don't think ?.

There's my goal for the year!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get this. Avoiding double bogeys takes skill and concentration and consistency. It’s a target.

Hole in one is pure luck.

Having said that, 13th and 14th at Haste Hill are back to back 250 yard par fours, so if I was a member I would be looking for at least one eagle every summer.
I guess you are referring to your new club?

4 driveable par fours at Haste Hill!

13 and 14 reachable for many people. I’ve driven 13 with a 5 wood in summer, would have been well over the back with driver. And I’m not a big hitter!
The 13th and 14th at HH are 270+ yards off the yellows, as per the card. I do not hit it anywhere near that far. Off whites they are 290 & 280. I have driven the 14th twice ever, both off yellows when the tee was placed unusually short for whatever reason, and height of summer - both times left me with very long putts so I ended up with birdies. Never driven the 13th, the tee is never short enough. I don't know if you're misremembering or if your definition of 'big hitter' is different to mine. My longest drive in summer on a bone dry fairway would roll out to 250 maybe.

P.S. I was referring to GD though in that post to answer your question.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've never had back to back eagles, closest I've come is successive eagles on the same hole in back to back rounds.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I came close to back to back eagles a few months ago..
80 odd yard pitch in on a par 4( our 11th) then onto a par 5
Quite long but downwind and slightly downhill
Decent drive, decent lay up to about 100 and the approach hit the flag and stopped 3 inches away for a kick in birdie...loadsa points (y)

sunshine

Visit site
does eagling 18th in rd 1 and 1st in rd 2 of a 36 hole comp count? if not ive only done it once

A bit like Axar Patel being on a hat trick at the start of the 2nd innings in the last test.

I think yes it has to count in a 36 hole comp!

sunshine

Visit site
The 13th and 14th at HH are 270+ yards off the yellows, as per the card. I do not hit it anywhere near that far. Off whites they are 290 & 280. I have driven the 14th twice ever, both off yellows when the tee was placed unusually short for whatever reason, and height of summer - both times left me with very long putts so I ended up with birdies. Never driven the 13th, the tee is never short enough. I don't know if you're misremembering or if your definition of 'big hitter' is different to mine. My longest drive in summer on a bone dry fairway would roll out to 250 maybe.

P.S. I was referring to GD though in that post to answer your question.

In summer with hard fairways and a friendly breeze these holes play a bit shorter. If your longest drive is 250 that puts you on the front of the green on a 270 hole as the distance is to the green centre.

Even if you come up short, I think it’s reasonable to expect to roll in a long putt or chip in once a year if you are playing the course every week. Both greens are pretty flat (14 has a tier but it’s flat on top).

What impressed me was when I played with someone who drove 6 and 15. He could have reached 12 too.

But hey you have a new course now so this argument is moot!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In summer with hard fairways and a friendly breeze these holes play a bit shorter. If your longest drive is 250 that puts you on the front of the green on a 270 hole as the distance is to the green centre.

Even if you come up short, I think it’s reasonable to expect to roll in a long putt or chip in once a year if you are playing the course every week. Both greens are pretty flat (14 has a tier but it’s flat on top).

What impressed me was when I played with someone who drove 6 and 15. He could have reached 12 too.

But hey you have a new course now so this argument is moot!
Stuart's son Liam has driven the 18th green before, apparently, so those other holes you mention would be in reach for him too. Game must be ridiculously easy if you can do stuff like that - no wonder he plays off 3. I get what you're saying with the numbers, but even then it might I have to hit my best drive, in the perfect summer conditions to reach front edge, and then putt up a two tier green (on the 14th) to the top tier to make my eagle? How likely is that? :LOL: Might get one or two such opportunities per year - let alone actually getting it in once a year.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd like to play all The Open venues but am not making very rapid progress.

I'd like to get par, birdie finish on The Old Course.

I'd like a hole in one, that I see drop and is as a result of a good shot. A scabby thin iron into a hole I can't see won't do it me. :D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I guess a hole-in-one in a proper round...and win our Silver Frigate comp (our Open handicap competition). And it would be great to get to 6 (6.4) as that's the lowest I've ever been and that was 30yrs ago - if I could get to 5.4 that would be the icing on the cake - even if for just one round.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To win the club champs would be nice but i think that may be a dream now. I'll have to settle for the seniors instead when i am old enough in a couple of years.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How about two 2's on the trot I have done that a least twice, once at the 3rd and 4th at Sunningdale Old [4th was a 6 inch tap in]
Had to give myself a shake and a bit of a talking to on the 5th tee as I was now level par.:LOL:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How about two 2's on the trot I have done that a least twice, once at the 3rd and 4th at Sunningdale Old [4th was a 6 inch tap in]
Had to give myself a shake and a bit of a talking to on the 5th tee as I was now level par.:LOL:
I have done that once, it was the time i had three 2s in four holes. 2, 6, 2, 2. Birdie, bogey, birdie, eagle.