Golfing milestones you would like to achieve?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3432

Looking for a calm day and a reliable driver, then.

Both of those on the same day is highly unlikely.

Strangely I don't seem to play the course well when its fairly calm. So used to playing the front 9 into 2/3 club wind i always struggle with clubbing and rarely knock it close enough. Often end up making soft bogies.
Number of times I airmail the 3rd green....?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Both of those on the same day is highly unlikely.

Strangely I don't seem to play the course well when its fairly calm. So used to playing the front 9 into 2/3 club wind i always struggle with clubbing and rarely knock it close enough. Often end up making soft bogies.
Number of times I airmail the 3rd green....?

I was a member at Silloth in the 90s. Great course and always a challenge. I tended to do the opposite on the third, coming up a bit short. Also tended to do the same tactically at the fourth rather than risk ending up in one of the pits to the side.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would like to break 80. I shot 80 once last year and have had 81s and 82s a fair few times. I would also like to do a round with nothing worse than bogey. The two might come hand in hand.

I don't think I have any others. It would be nice to get an eagle, but not very likely since I don't hit it particularly far. Similar to a hole in one, obviously would be nice but pretty unlikely so they're not really milestones that I'm focused on achieving. Handicap-wise, again I think I'm unlikely to reach single figures, I've always thought 12 would be about the best I could achieve, but that's not really a 'milestone'.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Level par would be great but my scoring is going in the wrong direction now so can't see it happening.

And of course the good old hole in one!

D

Deleted member 3432

I was a member at Silloth in the 90s. Great course and always a challenge. I tended to do the opposite on the third, coming up a bit short. Also tended to do the same tactically at the fourth rather than risk ending up in one of the pits to the side.

Nice safe way to play those holes although you can spend a bit of time at the bottom of the hill on the 3rd if your chipping is not a strong point. See many smashing a putter up the hill....

I think 3 and 4 are superb holes, certainly two of my favourites.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Breaking 90 round my own track (ass 74 in old money so no easy task for me)

Get an index of 18

Generate more distance from the fairway, I'm pretty happy with my driving

Boomy

Visit site
Nice safe way to play those holes although you can spend a bit of time at the bottom of the hill on the 3rd if your chipping is not a strong point. See many smashing a putter up the hill....

I think 3 and 4 are superb holes, certainly two of my favourites.

I'm new to Silloth.. just joined late last year so I've not played when the fairways are really firm yet.. a lot of the members I've played a round with say I'll not need/be using the driver in summer :unsure: But it sounds like you guys favour the driver to score lower? I've been using 3 wood off the tee on the 3rd and an iron or utility off the tee on the 4th in winter.

D

Deleted member 3432

I'm new to Silloth.. just joined late last year so I've not played when the fairways are really firm yet.. a lot of the members I've played a round with say I'll not need/be using the driver in summer :unsure: But it sounds like you guys favour the driver to score lower? I've been using 3 wood off the tee on the 3rd and an iron or utility off the tee on the 4th in winter.

It depends on wind strength, direction and how fast the fairways are running.

3rd for me can be anything between driver to 4 iron. Aiming to can as close to the path running across fairway as possible but not beyond it. Most importantly do not miss the fairway....

4th is the same clubwise off the tee, optimum place for me is 20 yards short of the bell any further down and you run into trouble. If the wind is in your face you are better off playing it as a par 5 as it is not a green to be hitting a wood or very long iron into. Hardest hole on the course in windy conditions from a north or east direction.

Once you have had a season playing in all wind conditions and varying fairway firmness you will get a better understanding of how to get your ball round. You cannot score if you spend any time in the heather and gorse so need to find fairways off the tee whatever to decide to hit.

You'll love it (y)

D

Deleted member 21258

Play in a guest day at each club

A hole in one on a par 4

Play Kings/Queens courses at Gleneagles

Otherwise enjoy the golf, relax and take in the views and fresh air.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I would like to break 80. I shot 80 once last year and have had 81s and 82s a fair few times. I would also like to do a round with nothing worse than bogey. The two might come hand in hand.

I don't think I have any others. It would be nice to get an eagle, but not very likely since I don't hit it particularly far. Similar to a hole in one, obviously would be nice but pretty unlikely so they're not really milestones that I'm focused on achieving. Handicap-wise, again I think I'm unlikely to reach single figures, I've always thought 12 would be about the best I could achieve, but that's not really a 'milestone'.
I doubt you hit it any shorter than I do and I've had half a dozen or so eagles - play enough golf and you'll hole a full shot or two.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I doubt you hit it any shorter than I do and I've had half a dozen or so eagles - play enough golf and you'll hole a full shot or two.
I think as with hole in ones, anything that requires that much luck isn't really a milestone I'm focused on achieving, if you know what I mean. If it happens it happens.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I think as with hole in ones, anything that requires that much luck isn't really a milestone I'm focused on achieving, if you know what I mean. If it happens it happens.
Come up to my place and play the Ashludie when there's a 35mph wind blowing from the West - 10th is 252 yard par four straight downwind and links so ball will run - you'll be able to drive the green if you hit it on the right line - not much luck in that.

Boomy

Visit site
It depends on wind strength, direction and how fast the fairways are running.

3rd for me can be anything between driver to 4 iron. Aiming to can as close to the path running across fairway as possible but not beyond it. Most importantly do not miss the fairway....

4th is the same clubwise off the tee, optimum place for me is 20 yards short of the bell any further down and you run into trouble. If the wind is in your face you are better off playing it as a par 5 as it is not a green to be hitting a wood or very long iron into. Hardest hole on the course in windy conditions from a north or east direction.

Once you have had a season playing in all wind conditions and varying fairway firmness you will get a better understanding of how to get your ball round. You cannot score if you spend any time in the heather and gorse so need to find fairways off the tee whatever to decide to hit.

You'll love it (y)

Really looking forward to it :D I squeezed in 8 rounds between the lockdowns and enjoyed them all. Can't wait to play it in summer conditions :cool: Thank you for the info.

D

Deleted member 25172

Break par or at least shoot level par. Closest I've been is 3 over, which I've shot twice in comps.

I hope to get a hole in one, but it would never be a goal for me.

D

Deleted member 3432

Really looking forward to it :D I squeezed in 8 rounds between the lockdowns and enjoyed them all. Can't wait to play it in summer conditions :cool: Thank you for the info.

Different beast in summer conditions, fairways can become very narrow due to how far the ball can run downwind but great fun.

The Fader

Visit site
Break par in a meaningful event

Bogey free round

Back to back eagles

Our Course record (-4) was set by a player who achieved this very feat.

Level par stood on 17th tee. Holed out of a fairway bunker for a 2 and then drove the 18th (270'ish) and holed the putt.