Golf umbrellas-how long should they last?

Larry long dog

Visit site
So, I’ve had 2 Taylormade umbrellas (£45ish) that have ended up breaking with the latest being on Saturday where it just snapped off just above the handle (maybe the heat??). AG replaced the first (FOC) in roughly September 2020 (one of the arms snapped). When replacing it last time, I was asked if I wanted a different brand but wanted to stick to TM to match my bag ?.

Anyway, they’re not replacing it again FOC which I’m a little miffed with. Should I be? It’s not like it’s a donnay or Slazenger that I’ve grabbed from sports direct. Has anyone else had any umbrella issues?!

I’m going to speak with their head office tomorrow (unlikely to get anywhere) or even TM direct if I get no joy.

Is it unreasonable to think that an umbrella should last? I get it’s nearly 2 years, but hardly used it honest guv and we’ve had a lockdown or 2.

Cheers
LLD

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Had a Callaway one for about 7 or 8 years...to be fair it doesn't get a lot of use as, around here, if it rains it's usually windy and I'm either off the course or the brolly stays down for fear of doing a Mary Poppins....

D

Deleted member 3432

Had mine for 20 odd years, never actually use it as its normally too windy to bother.

Great for hanging things off like driver or putter head cover when using them :ROFLMAO:

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Mines doing well sat on the step all year round for those drizzly dog walks.

It’s a belfry one I picked up in the 2018 heat wave to use as shade.

Don’t use them for golf in the rain. I just go home or don’t play at all.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a cheapo one that I don't even know the brand name of, bought from Rickmansworth golf course, and even that has lasted me about 4 years. And I've certainly had the whole trolley blow over with the umbrella attached a few times in that timespan.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a Mizuno one for a very long time.
Problem with the modern ones is the main shafts are made of a crap graphite and are just not strong enough.
Most have a slit in them for the locking mechanisms and that’s where most snap just above the handle,that I have seen.
Get one with a metal main shaft if you can find one.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I gave up on brollies many years ago. If the mechanism didn't fail, either the 'spokes' did or the fabric came off the spokes. And spring-loaded ones and wind can be a dangerous compo!
If decent waterproofs work don't provide sufficient protection, playing golf is a daft idea!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Like Imurg I have a 52” mizzy tour brolly that’s gets used in heavy showers only or light rain if I haven’t taken waterproofs.

I don’t use it as a sun shade etc, must be 8yrs old ish as I know it was on the bag in 2014.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
.........Anyway, they’re not replacing it again FOC which I’m a little miffed with. Should I be? It’s not like it’s a donnay or Slazenger that I’ve grabbed from sports direct. Has anyone else had any umbrella issues?!......

It's always annoying when something breaks after very little use, however, given that the store replaced it once FOC, even offered an alternative brand. It's now well past a 12 month warranty and I personally wouldn't expect them to replace it again a further 18 months later.

Personally, never had many issues with golf brollies, have had various brands over the years (Footjoy, Ping, Lyle & Scott). Current one is an Open 18 branded one, although I rarely use it these days. Just added weight on the carry bag and too much faf putting down and up when playing. Usually forget to put it back in the bag if using the trolley so make do with waterproof top and hat.

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you have broken two (in the same place) maybe you need to look at how you are treating the brollies. Are you just chucking your bag in the car etc? Possible user error?