Golf trip triangle

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
People on here seem amazing at logistics and arranging good trips - so if you had one person who lives in Aberdeen, one in Troon and one in Leeds and you were looking for an overnighter with as much golf as possible ie playing 18 on the first day and then 36 on day two before driving home where would you go?

The early front runner is Southerness and then fill in around that..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There will be a clamour for Silloth. Never played it, sounds like it can be a brute in the wind but highly regarded.

I'll throw in Carlisle. Good course, handy for motorways when you all set off after you have finished.

greenone

Visit site
I'd be looking down the coast south of edinburgh. Southerness area is at least a 4.5 hr drive to Aberdeen assuming no hold ups. Wouldn't fancy that after 36 holes.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
A bit biased, but for me, Play Royal Dornoch on first day, stay in Inverness then Castle Stuart and Nairn the next day.
Not too shabby....

Dornoch would be top of any list for me but looking for a mid point with lots of good and ideally different golf

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
West of Scotland ' Troon, Turnberry, Prestwick... 3 open courses.

Or

North Berwick, Gullane, Archerfield, Muirfield, Dalmahoy, Royal Burgess, Luffness, Dunbar. Too many to list in that area....

D

Deleted member 1147

To be similar distances from each location the East coast makes sense.
One travels down the coast, one up the coast and the other coast to coast.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
'The early front runner is Southerness' is the key phrase we are answering - long drive home to Aberdeen - I've done that a few times
I think most places are a slog back to Aberdeen, it comes with the territory :D.

Most posters are hitting the nail on the head. If the front runner is going to be ditched then the SE coast of Scotland is the standout location.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
The front runner was just a suggestion as none of us have played there while we've all been to East Lothian a few times. Have also only played Silloth once so quite fancy that though that does mean dragging our Aberdonian friend even further south though, like you say, that sort of comes with the territory.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Silloth and Southerness are 1hr 45 min apart so not exactly handy.
Is there not a ferry, it's only across the water ?. Crazy it takes that long when you see where they are on a map

Carlisle is logical, I threw in Silloth as so many on here like it. Any others in the vicinity?

Last edited:

Boomy

Visit site
Slightly biased vote here but defo Silloth, then drive up to Dumfries straight after, following day 36 @ Southerness (y)