Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
[QUOTE="evemccc, post: 2615692, member: 27798"]Is that a joke? It’s commonplace for mixed comps to not only (or not often) comprise teams of married couples…, surely?![/QUOTE]
Er, yes.
Not a very good one, I'll admit. (a round <> around)

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Bear with me as there's a bit of a backstory. A few weeks ago I accidentally entered the 'mixed' foursomes cup with my (male)mate, thinking mixed meant men or women optional - but I received an email saying apologies, it's intended to be one male one female in the teams. Gen manager asked me if I'd be willing to stay involved anyway and he'd find me a partner, so I said sure, why not.

There's a lot of very high handicap women in the club - not sure if they're likely to enter the foursomes cup, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned that foursomes with a 45 handicapper wouldn't be the most fun in the world. Needn't have worried - got the email today saying I've been partnered up with the future club captain who I believe is also the lowest female handicapper in the club at 14.9. GM even branded us his favourites to win it! And it's a board comp. Very much looking forward to it now.

Could one of you not just identified as a woman?

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Years ago when I used to indulge in such matches, we found that the best way to appreciate what your partner had to put up with was to play a couple of practice games with both playing every shot - but playing your partner's previous shot as in foursomes. It's not really surprising how many times you found yourself playing from places you had maybe never visited on the course. It has to be said that it was usually a bit unfair on the lady ....

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Weather forecast was terrible but took a risk to have a knock with a couple of mates this morning. Only 15 holes open. Rain hit just as I collected my winnings.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could one of you not just identified as a woman?
Manager mentioned that on his email actually. I wasn't sure if he was half joking and trying to be sensitive at the same time. 😮😂
I have played a lot of mixed golf over the years, and mixed foursomes is something else - well I do enjoy it. My experience is that I must adopt a rather different attitude when playing with a very high handicapper lady, though not that different from the high handicapper gents. The difference I find is their expectation of you.

However…playing with a half decent lady such as your partner can be different as with her handicap you may well be playing with one of the best ladies in the club…and she may expect to do rather well…we’ll that’s my experience…and with that comes additional pressure. It depends on how the lady views herself… But put that aside and enjoy. It’s different but its enjoyable.
Yeah you might be right, she might be super competitive. Personally I play my best golf when I'm relaxed and having a laugh. My own competitiveness is best summed up by a quote from Moneyball, "I hate losing even more than I want to win". I'll be happy if we win a couple of rounds though and at least go deep into the competition. I'd never have played Foursomes if I was paying a green fee, but I do enjoy it now days. It's a nice additional tactical element, even down to who tees off the odds and even holes. I find it's a format where you don't need to shoot the lights out, but slow and steady and sensible wins the race.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what they write on here, there are folk who would decline an invite to the Masters Dinner, because there's a dress code!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That's depends - if the dress code was 'you must wear your green jacket' then it's fine, if I won a green jacket I'd be wearing it everywhere anyway.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The first ever proper Academy Members-Mentors comp yesterday…Gents Captain gave three hours of his Sunday pm to come along and give a short speech and vote of thanks and encouragement to all AMs - wishing them luck and enjoyment as they work on their game and hoping they feel our club is for them to join fully when the time is right; and to pass on the apologies from Ladies Captain for not being there.

All part of us being a golf club rather than just a place we pay money to play golf.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The first ever proper Academy Members-Mentors comp yesterday…Gents Captain gave three hours of his Sunday pm to come along and give a short speech and vote of thanks and encouragement to all AMs - wishing them luck and enjoyment as they work on their game and hoping they feel our club is for them to join fully when the time is right; and to pass on the apologies from Ladies Captain for not being there.

All part of us being a golf club rather than just a place we pay money to play golf.

I must say, from your posts its very clear that your club do some immense work with your juniors/ academy. This sounds like a fantastic event and great to read that the clubs hierarchy are all fully invested in this.

Love reading about it so please continue to post about it!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I would hate to be around for one of his long speeches :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
From what they write on here, there are folk who would decline an invite to the Masters Dinner, because there's a dress code!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not at all, for a formal dinner, a dress code is certainly appropriate. It is not, in my opinion, appropriate for a drink in bar environment or stopping for a quick plate of sandwiches. Just because I am against a dress code in a club house in general, it does not mean that I do not appreciate dressing up for a formal occasion.

Buckles01

Visit site
Morning all, new to the forum, some good reading to be had. Does skimming a bladed 9-iron across a lake on to the green count? If so, that was me at Sharpley GC, Durham yesterday on the 12th hole. It certainly raised an eyebrow from my playing partner!

If the club landed on the green, where did the ball end up? 🤣

evemccc

Visit site
Due in part to great weather the other day (with the rest of the week crap) and more than 14 members of a well-to-do course arriving AFTER their allotted Members times and before a big society booking, my peaceful solo round in the Visitors tee-times became suddenly a bit of a bun-fight at the first tee…I wasn’t too pleased tbh

However…I ended up sharing a few holes with a fellow over 90….he had been a member for over 40 years and still played very well. Every drive was in middle of the fairway probably about 170-180 yards and his short game and putting was very good indeed 👏🏻

I’d like to be playing as well as him and loving golf and equally as importantly at as good a course as him when I’m 90🤣😁