Golf Swing Reconstruction: Phase One!

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hello chaps. Been umming and ahhing about whether to upload a video as it was just filmed on my iPhone the other night and the quality/angle is pretty poor.

I figured I haven't got too much to lose by uploading it. Bit of backround - officially 23 handicap at the moment although average score over last 6 rounds(comp/casual) is 89 - par 72.

I intend to work on my swing this winter with an aim to be more consistent.

I have my own personal thoughts on my swing, but id rather not draw notice to my faults and see if you guys also think it's as glaringly obvious as I do.

Here you go:

9 iron

5 iron

3 wood

No real idea why I chose those 3 clubs. I can't see a lot of difference between them anyway, but variety is the spice of life as somebody somewhere may have said.

Again, apologies for poor quality. You have been warned!!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sneds, the most striking thing to me is the pace of the backswing. IMO it should be about 50% as fast as that.

This also leads to 2 other possible problems at the top of your backswing. Momentum will probably cause you to over swing and might even force your hands to seperate at the top or wrist to collapse.

Heres a wild guess, do you wear a hole in your glove on your right palm?

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sneds, do you play Nike clubs. There's certainly a lot of swoosh in there!! ;) :p

As mentioned, certainly slow down that back swing, that's what gives me more consistency. As you, my offical handicap is quite high, 24, as I haven't been able to get to any comps lately (2 year old daughter and a wife about to drop another), but am currently playing to about 18 when I get out.

If I swing fast, which is something I always try and fight not to do, then my striking becomes much more inconsistent, and I can hit all sorts of shape shots (normally fat).

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I don't mind the speed of the swing although it looks like you overswing. With that swing it's hard to believe you are such a high h/capper??? As I said, I'd like to see one from the front.

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Strange that you've all mentioned speed as its not something I've really been working on. I didn't feel like I was going after it at all, but perhaps the pressure of the camera pushed a few extra mph!

JO I do get the odd 'you won't be at 23 for long with that swing' but I'm not really converting it to scores. I need to practice a lot more before my handicap gets a serious cut.

I have nothing from the front - as I know for a fact I would hit my iPhone. It's without question.

Thanks to those who have commented. My actual goals have been to be less closed at the top of my swing (probably too quick to assess) and to make my swing more upright as I feel like I'm swinging around my body a bit.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't get me wrong I like the swing as well but it looks a bit quick that's all. Extra care in the backswing will solve a lot of issues Go slowly and its easier to get the club in the correct position at the top and makes a smooth transition to the downswing possible.

Go fast and you will never achieve the consistency you are striving for.

Ever since I was told that the backswing is a precision movement (not about generating power) I have taken greater care to get this right.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
You are not getting 23 at Blackmoor with that swing :D.

It's about rhythm of swing. Too slow back tends to lead to too quick through the ball. Try and have a look at Tom Watson's swing. Quick temp back and through, and he reaches parallel.

As said before good to see swing from other angles.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I don't have a problem with the speed of your swing, Quiros does OK, he just doesn't swing it as far as you do! At the speed you have 20° short of parallel will be just fine. I'm sure I see your 3-wood appear in front of your head in the vid!

If I could do anything with your swing it would be for you to have a better posture at the start, bum back a bit, bit more knee flex and get a deeper spine angle (40-45°) That will get your shoulders tilted better on the backswing and you'll feel like your impacts take place more under you rather than around you (if that makes sense).

Would like to see a vid from the front.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having played with Sneds I can vouch for the fact that when he is on he is very, very good. The problem lies more in consistency than anything overly technical. I didn't think his swing was that quick when we played although there was a tendancy to swing too hard and try too much at times with the usual outcome.

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers guys, reminds me why this forum is so good....upload a couple of crappy videos and people are more than willing to give advice and help any way they can.

Thanks for the comments, it's definitely given me some food for thought.