Golf Random Irritations

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Had a lesson yesterday and what i have to do for a ‘normal‘ swing feels to me anything but normal. I’m essentially starting again with my swing. Is that irritating. Well only partly…but only as I wish I’d started on the change years ago.

Over 35yrs of regular and successful playing, my swing had become so grooved in a very suboptimal way that changing things to give me a ‘normal‘ swing feels very, very weird.

As my pro stresses, I have to focus on what is happening when the clubhead hits the ball and not worry about what the club and club head are doing after the ball has been hit. Because what is happening is correct though to me it feels totally wrong.

So yesterday in the lesson - when hitting to a target and trying to do what pro was telling me to focus on, when I hit the ball as directed I was convinced I’d be way left, but I‘d look up and see the ball sailing straight at the target. And the pro says, that’s a good swing. Weird feeling and going to take work on my part to get used to it.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Had a lesson yesterday and what i have to do for a ‘normal‘ swing feels to me anything but normal. I’m essentially starting again with my swing. Is that irritating. Well only partly…but only as I wish I’d started on the change years ago.

Over 35yrs of regular and successful playing, my swing had become so grooved in a very suboptimal way that changing things to give me a ‘normal‘ swing feels very, very weird.

As my pro stresses, I have to focus on what is happening when the clubhead hits the ball and not worry about what the club and club head are doing after the ball has been hit. Because what is happening is correct though to me it feels totally wrong.

So yesterday in the lesson - when hitting to a target and trying to do what pro was telling me to focus on, when I hit the ball as directed I was convinced I’d be way left, but I‘d look up and see the ball sailing straight at the target. And the pro says, that’s a good swing. Weird feeling and going to take work on my part to get used to it.

On that basis, I think that your forum name these past few years has been a bit of a con. ;)

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Played today with the worst “keep taliking even though someone is playing a shot” bloke. In a 4BBB
lt was incessant. We said , come in mate, not while we’re hitting, but he kept going.

5 hours after, sure I can still hear him.

You were too polite. After the request you made , he'd get one more expletive warning, after that, him keeping on would have caused a veeeery embarrassing situation when he played his shot.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

I recently had a lesson. I followed the logic and so on, but when I played next day on the course, I was all over the place.
I was being taught textbook swing, but in my late seventies the flexibility isn't enough I don't think.
Problems are transition and tempo. I got them together one day and it seemed to work- sort of. If I try to turn fast enough to get a good. clubhead speed, then I am too fast off the top , wrong direction, you name it?
I am going back to the Pro, but he is going to have to accept my body's limitations I think. But I will be guided.
Silk purse/sows ear comes to mind.?

essexguy194

Visit site
I recently had a lesson. I followed the logic and so on, but when I played next day on the course, I was all over the place.
I was being taught textbook swing, but in my late seventies the flexibility isn't enough I don't think.
Problems are transition and tempo. I got them together one day and it seemed to work- sort of. If I try to turn fast enough to get a good. clubhead speed, then I am too fast off the top , wrong direction, you name it?
I am going back to the Pro, but he is going to have to accept my body's limitations I think. But I will be guided.
Silk purse/sows ear comes to mind.?

I always find the worst thing to do after a lesson is to play the day after. I have much more success with a lesson if it is lesson, range to bed in that lesson and then play.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I always find the worst thing to do after a lesson is to play the day after. I have much more success with a lesson if it is lesson, range to bed in that lesson and then play.

I'm sure you're right?. But this stance he now wants is much wider with the feet, and I seem to not be able to turn comfortably. Anno Domini, methinks.
Daft thing is, I had a good game when I didn't think of anything except weight forward before finishing a slow backswing.
Who invented this game?,,,!,

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm sure you're right?. But this stance he now wants is much wider with the feet, and I seem to not be able to turn comfortably. Anno Domini, methinks.
Daft thing is, I had a good game when I didn't think of anything except weight forward before finishing a slow backswing.
Who invented this game?,,,!,

Maybe I’m missing something in translation but isn’t weight forward during backswing a reverse pivot? Worth looking it up…?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Here's two..

No idea why but I get irritated both when players click their fingers for an overhit putt... and when a player makes a remark like 'dropped your lipstick' when someone leaves a putt short
(the second one in particular when they think they're being original!)

Aargh :mad:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here's two..

No idea why but I get irritated both when players click their fingers for an overhit putt... and when a player makes a remark like 'dropped your lipstick' when someone leaves a putt short
(the second one in particular when they think they're being original!)

Aargh :mad:
What does clicking one's fingers represent?? I've never heard of that.

Heard the second one enough times, sadly.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What does clicking one's fingers represent?? I've never heard of that.

Heard the second one enough times, sadly.

Clicking fingers is used in a 'calling the ball to heel' manner as it sails past the hole
(usually used by very good players and pros)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Back-to-back birdies.
Why don't people say "nose-to-tail birdies", which is correct for "one-following-another" or "consecutive"?
Back-to-back must mean "facing away from each other" or "in opposite directions" neither of which can be a correct way of describing birdies on consecutive holes.

Last edited: