Golf Random Irritations

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cannot find a cool driver head cover that has a sock section to protect the shaft … might have to work out how to attach one to the one the companies generously give out…

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My HI has gone from 11.1 to 12.9 in only 3 rounds, as old rounds drop off and are replaced with dross. Under the old system it would be only +0.3 in total. This does show the merit of the new system reflecting current form, but my irritation is the total slump my game has been in over the last year :rolleyes:
I feel your pain … same situation ☹️

D

Deleted member 25172

Lack of consistency in my game.

It's not more than 10 days ago I shot a gross 72, 2 over par. The past weekend I shot a 85, but that's with the WHS net double bogey thing in place. I didn't even finish 2 of the holes.

Appreciate that golf is a game where it goes up and down, but I would've thought, or at least hoped, that if you can shoot close to par on one day, you'd have some sort of general skills within your game to then not go and play like you were a mid teen handicapper the next round/s.

My mood swings are through the roof when on the course now, and it's so mentally draining.

Visit site
Greenkeepers who don’t pause their work while players are putting out on greens.
One of our GKs continued to cut the fringes today while we were putting out on the green. Whizzing along our eyeline repeatedly with no regard to players. Very poor in my opinion. You wouldn’t walk in someone’s eye if they were playing. No reason why greenkeepers should do it.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
My HI has gone from 11.1 to 12.9 in only 3 rounds, as old rounds drop off and are replaced with dross. Under the old system it would be only +0.3 in total. This does show the merit of the new system reflecting current form, but my irritation is the total slump my game has been in over the last year :rolleyes:

This does raise a point though, ( unless I am understanding wrongly)about bandits and Opens etc. If the system was designed to stop handicap manipulation , aka cheating, it seems to me to be open to it from what you have described here.
Someone could go out for three or four " supplementary " rounds prior to a tasty Open and score badly in them, and his HI could go up significantly, ?
Whereas, as you say, under the old system it would be marginal
( and even better if change is only implemented through competitions).
Have things "improved worse"??

D

Deleted member 25172

This does raise a point though, ( unless I am understanding wrongly)about bandits and Opens etc. If the system was designed to stop handicap manipulation , aka cheating, it seems to me to be open to it from what you have described here.
Someone could go out for three or four " supplementary " rounds prior to a tasty Open and score badly in them, and his HI could go up significantly, ?
Whereas, as you say, under the old system it would be marginal
( and even better if change is only implemented through competitions).
Have things "improved worse"??

Of course it's possible, but it requires some planning as it's not just about going out and score a few bad scores prior to an open as it requires for the rounds dropping off to be among the best 8 of the last 20 rounds. If they're not, your handicap stays put.

Anyone who would go to those lengths I wouldn't trust to play a fair game anyway even under the old system.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Cannot find a cool driver head cover that has a sock section to protect the shaft … might have to work out how to attach one to the one the companies generously give out…
I bought a set of three off Amazon, not particularly cool, they have pom poms, and not particularly long as the sock doesn't reach below the top of the bag and consequently provides zero protection from bag rub.

As Bobmac says below, I'll have to go back to the lecky tape.

sunshine

Visit site

I've noticed all the OEM headcovers have evolved from sock type to boxing glove type. I'm guessing one brand started and the others followed.

Maybe it's an extra way to encourage you to buy a new driver every couple of years (look how the shaft is worn you need a replacement)

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

It's not more than 10 days ago I shot a gross 72, 2 over par. The past weekend I shot a 85, but that's with the WHS net double bogey thing in place. I didn't even finish 2 of the holes.

Appreciate that golf is a game where it goes up and down, but I would've thought, or at least hoped, that if you can shoot close to par on one day, you'd have some sort of general skills within your game to then not go and play like you were a mid teen handicapper the next round/s.

My mood swings are through the roof when on the course now, and it's so mentally draining.

Why beat yourself up about it?

Genuinely, at random, I looked at McIlroy at The Masters. 1st round 65, 4th round 80. If one of the best players in the world is that inconsistent (and it seems that most are even at that level) then what chance do we stand?

D

Deleted member 25172

Why beat yourself up about it?

Genuinely, at random, I looked at McIlroy at The Masters. 1st round 65, 4th round 80. If one of the best players in the world is that inconsistent (and it seems that most are even at that level) then what chance do we stand?

Unfortunately, I guess it’s in my nature and something which I’ve always done no matter what it is.

Have tried meditation, breathing exercises and other various “tricks” to try for it to not get to me, but nothing yet that has really stuck.

An 80 for Rory is a blow up which happen very very seldom.

As said, I understand that golf is a game of ups and downs, but it still baffles me that I seem to be unable to shoot anything but really good (for my standard) or really bad. Anything in between seem to have left, which makes golf extremely frustrating at the moment.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Unfortunately, I guess it’s in my nature and something which I’ve always done no matter what it is.

Have tried meditation, breathing exercises and other various “tricks” to try for it to not get to me, but nothing yet that has really stuck.

As said, I understand that golf is a game of ups and downs, but it still baffles me that I seem to be unable to shoot anything but really good (for my standard) or really bad. Anything in between seem to have left, which makes golf extremely frustrating at the moment.
Perhaps Mr Kipling could help you.

… if you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, and treat those two impostors just the same; yours is the earth and everything that's in it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I'm certainly finding the same.

41 shots on the first 9 and 49 on the 2nd 9 on Sunday in the last comp but I think comparison with Rory isn't helpful. He plays, practices every day and is a natural golfer, he expects to shoot (say) 5 under each round so every round worse than that puts him in the same frustration level as us with the " where/why did it all go so wrong" . Maybe, and I certainly feel it, when it all starts to implode I get a " here we go again" in my head, start to doubt that I will pull a shot off rather than be confident.i also do stupid things like taking a wrong club on some tees - playing the 1st (started on 10th) I took the driver as my first nine had gone well - I nearly always hit my 19° rescue club better off that tee so hooked the drive and lost the ball - why ???

I could do with a caddy for a round, I'm sure I'd make better decisions and less mistakes but I certainly find that my head goes for 3 or 4 (usually consecutive) holes in most rounds when the " I'm due a mistake " gets into my head.

Why - how do I change that?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

To be honest this could sum up my game for the last 20 years or more...
I got down into single figures after 3 or 4 years of playing and ever since its been like it.
I'll put a run of 4 or 5 good rounds together then play like Fragger for a month...then back to good scores, then back to Fraggering my way around...

I look at it this way...this isn't my livelihood, it's my hobby/passion/obsession
It would get a bit dull shooting 6 over every round.....
A bit of inconsistency, undesirable as it may be, keeps the game a challenge and it's what keeps us coming back for more.
Revel in the good scores, laugh and scowl at the bad ones..

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I got down into single figures after 3 or 4 years of playing and ever since its been like it.
I'll put a run of 4 or 5 good rounds together then play like Fragger for a month...then back to good scores, then back to Fraggering my way around...

I look at it this way...this isn't my livelihood, it's my hobby/passion/obsession
A bit of inconsistency, undesirable as it may be, keeps the game a challenge and it's what keeps us coming back for more.

I agree with you to some degree Ian but with the new handicap system, and the slope adjustment just adding to the misery, today I'm off 18 off the whites!

Under the old I'd be off 15 which I could easily play to and expect to reduce as the summer moves on, my game normally being at it's best around September time. I am beginning to feel that the slope change has affected my thinking and the speed that my handicap is increasing is being affected by rounds I played in 2019.

D

Deleted member 25172

I just want something in between every once in a while. To be able to score even when I’m not striking it my best instead of realising that the round is “over” by the time you finish the 6th hole, and the next go you get is 5-7 days away.

Guess a bit of practice could be a thing. ?

Don’t see not beating myself up as an option, even though golf isn’t my livelihood. Tbh the day I’m not beating myself up anymore is probably the day I’m not playing golf anymore. ?

D

Deleted member 25172

I'm certainly finding the same.

41 shots on the first 9 and 49 on the 2nd 9 on Sunday in the last comp but I think comparison with Rory isn't helpful. He plays, practices every day and is a natural golfer, he expects to shoot (say) 5 under each round so every round worse than that puts him in the same frustration level as us with the " where/why did it all go so wrong" . Maybe, and I certainly feel it, when it all starts to implode I get a " here we go again" in my head, start to doubt that I will pull a shot off rather than be confident.i also do stupid things like taking a wrong club on some tees - playing the 1st (started on 10th) I took the driver as my first nine had gone well - I nearly always hit my 19° rescue club better off that tee so hooked the drive and lost the ball - why ???

I could do with a caddy for a round, I'm sure I'd make better decisions and less mistakes but I certainly find that my head goes for 3 or 4 (usually consecutive) holes in most rounds when the " I'm due a mistake " gets into my head.

Why - how do I change that?

I’m like you. Once it starts going downhill, there’s no turning back really and might as well walk in for the day. Some have been blessed with a natural way of coping with things going the wrong way, others have to work a bit harder with it to turn things around. By the sounds of it, we belong to the latter group, and perhaps we should invest some money we put into our golf into seeing a professional brain/mind scrambler instead. ?