Golf Opens

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Playing on one 18th and 19th April at Dunstanburgh Castle. Contacted them today and they said it’s still on and will be played. Great course great two day comp. Fingers crossed we get to play.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played Eyemouth last week and am booked to play Goswick at the end of April.
Also planning a few others close to home and heading to Kingnussie and Boat of Garten in August.
I hope they go ahead but totally understand if they don't.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a truck load booked for this season but have a feeling quite a few of them will be cancelled, will just have to wait and see.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I've decided to give golf a wide berth at present and sticking to the not traveling unless necessary now.

Think my family come before a game of golf.

golfempire

www.golfempire.co.uk
At the moment we are only seeing a small number of golf clubs actually cancel events with some of those already putting in provisional dates for the autumn, however, this will undoubtedly change over the next few days/weeks following emergency committee meetings etc... That said, the decision could be taken out of their hands if the UK continues to follow a similar pattern to mainland Europe.

Understandably a lot of the early-season big amateur events have already gone as they attract international visitors and require a large number of volunteers etc..

England Golf have cancelled their events up to 7th June and Scottish Golf three of their national championships due to be played in April.

In light of their own postponements the advice England Golf are giving to golf clubs at the moment is. "Our championships involve large numbers of people travelling and working together to run a successful event, and we consider it impossible to ensure the safety and welfare of all concerned. Golf clubs should consider if it is appropriate to take a similar stance for Open competitions on the basis of government advice on travel and other social restrictions "

At present it will be difficult, due to the measures clubs have put in place both on and off the course, but not impossible for them to run events. Indeed we've seen a number of competitions played this week with a large degree of success. However, as Jacko_G states above a lot will also depend on the appetite of golfers to travel over the coming days and weeks.

The positive news is that if events are cancelled your handicap can't go up!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played Eyemouth last week and am booked to play Goswick at the end of April.
Also planning a few others close to home and heading to Kingnussie and Boat of Garten in August.
I hope they go ahead but totally understand if they don't.

Ive never played Goswick - how do you rate it compared to Dunbar?

Enjoyed Dunbar last week, enough holes with a nice bit of difference to them to make it quite enjoyable.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At the moment we are only seeing a small number of golf clubs actually cancel events with some of those already putting in provisional dates for the autumn, however, this will undoubtedly change over the next few days/weeks following emergency committee meetings etc... That said, the decision could be taken out of their hands if the UK continues to follow a similar pattern to mainland Europe.

Understandably a lot of the early-season big amateur events have already gone as they attract international visitors and require a large number of volunteers etc..

England Golf have cancelled their events up to 7th June and Scottish Golf three of their national championships due to be played in April.

In light of their own postponements the advice England Golf are giving to golf clubs at the moment is. "Our championships involve large numbers of people travelling and working together to run a successful event, and we consider it impossible to ensure the safety and welfare of all concerned. Golf clubs should consider if it is appropriate to take a similar stance for Open competitions on the basis of government advice on travel and other social restrictions "

At present it will be difficult, due to the measures clubs have put in place both on and off the course, but not impossible for them to run events. Indeed we've seen a number of competitions played this week with a large degree of success. However, as Jacko_G states above a lot will also depend on the appetite of golfers to travel over the coming days and weeks.

The positive news is that if events are cancelled your handicap can't go up!

Ah, Golf empire.

You opened up a whole new world to me and many golfers after finding your website about 7-8 years ago, instead of having to look in the club's "big green book".

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have well over a dozen booked so far. Mainly seniors so perhaps there will be a a smaller field to compete against. At the moment I am following advise and still playing but not visiting clubhouses etc. and keeping my distance on the course.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
4Bbb at Heysham next Saturday, still on at the moment and hopefully it stays like that ( fingers crossed)

I am also due to play Royal Birkdale and Hillside next Sunday and Monday with my wife ( fingers and toes crossed for that one )

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bill...great mix of courses and lengths am sure you will enjoy them all.Are you all out together(ish)? Or are you all being split up-which is what's happening to our lot at K.B.
Funny that as hasn't happened before(don't want to start drawing any conclusions from this)but having said that will mean meeting other bods from elsewhere which is always good for invites/friendships which,let's face it,is good for the game as a whole.
jimbo

dronfield

Visit site
I've booked a couple. 36 holer at Conwy in May and a 4BBB Open at Accrington in April (I think). I suspect there's little to no chance of either happening now....

Love Conwy, superb course (one of several in the area). A mate of mine was a member at Accrington for a while and i played in a couple of invitation days there - nice course. From memory i think another course borders it, and the cricket ground is nearby where several good international players have represented them in the Lancs league.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bill...great mix of courses and lengths am sure you will enjoy them all.Are you all out together(ish)? Or are you all being split up-which is what's happening to our lot at K.B.
Funny that as hasn't happened before(don't want to start drawing any conclusions from this)but having said that will mean meeting other bods from elsewhere which is always good for invites/friendships which,let's face it,is good for the game as a whole.
jimbo
At some courses we're out together or tee times are quite close together, but if they're still on we'll probably have to travel separately.:cry:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
At some courses we're out together or tee times are quite close together, but if they're still on we'll probably have to travel separately.:cry:
Just noticed we've actually booked 6 seniors comps.
Ladybank April 12th
Bonnyton April 22nd
Strathaven June 26th
Auchterarder July 16th
Lanark August 4 th
Gleneagles Queens Sept 28th.

We've also booked an overnight at the Argyll Arms Hotel in Campbelltown, in hope of getting a tee time for the Machrihanish GC seniors open on August 12th then the Dunes on the 13th or the maybe other wee nearby course the Dunaverty :confused: ,
But all in doubt :cry::unsure::poop:

Update- Ladybank now Sept 3rd
Bonnyton " July 30th
Strathaven " sadly cancelled completely [ prematurely IMHO ]
Auchterarder " July 16th
Lanark " August 4th
Gleneagles Q " Sept 28th.

We'll just need to wait and see what transport and playing arrangements are allowed :eek::cry:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm watching for the two I'm interested in. Woodhall Spa and Lancaster they seem to have things on hold awaiting a decision from above.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I had one booked at Stoke Rochford - end of July. It was cancelled last week because all but four fourballs had dropped out. I was a bit surprised by that.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Message from Saunton, they are hoping to go ahead with their July opens.