Golf Opens

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't see that the social distancing requirement will be reduced sufficiently for clubs to be able to handle 100 - 200 people all congregating in or around the clubhouse. How will returned cards be checked and processed?
I don't think I will be helping with organising or playing in any this year.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine have all been cancelled up to now but I have just discovered that one on June 20th at Dinsdale GC, Darlington, is on. I did not expect that. I hope the car park is big. No one can offer lifts, it is 4BBB and everyone will be travelling individually. Good news though.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We cancelled all of ours last month. As someone on our committee responsible for organising the events I know the sort of work that goes in to them and the 'staffing needs' and was very much in favour of cancellation.

Our Opens include food so no chance of the June ones running. As well as the fact that the changing rooms, the clubhouse and all toilet facilities are closed for the foreseeable future.

The caterers had already served notice to quit so I doubt we will get any new ones quickly in the current climate.

I know of other clubs that have cancelled events in our area from notifications being sent to our organisers.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mine have all been cancelled up to now but I have just discovered that one on June 20th at Dinsdale GC, Darlington, is on. I did not expect that. I hope the car park is big. No one can offer lifts, it is 4BBB and everyone will be travelling individually. Good news though.
Nice course, reasonably large car park but if open I doubt the dining room would provide sufficient spacing.
And wearing masks makes eating difficult ;)
What are the start intervals? IMO 10 min is too short for 4BBB.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice course, reasonably large car park but if open I doubt the dining room would provide sufficient spacing.
I had never heard of the course before but a mate suggested it back in January when Corona was still an old brand of pop and it sounded a good idea. I'm pleased you said it is nice, I haven't heard anything else about it other than its parkland.

I'm expecting the same rules to apply as for a regular round right now, turn up just before tee off, register, play, go home. Not how it should be, no social element before or after but that is how it is right now ?.

I've just checked the booking and they are 10 minute intervals. As it happens there are lots of gaps, half an hour before us, 1hr 20 for the group after. Millionaire golf. Not what they were hoping for no doubt. I was wrong incidentally it is not 4bbb, it is a 4 ball team event. Best 2 score on each hole and so on.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

10 minutes works really well where I play. it is what we use for all weekend medals Opens etc and it very rarely causes congestion on the course unless there are very slow players. However, very slow players will cause congestion if the tee interval were 20 minutes.

It is quite noticeable with 10 minutes and social golf gaps are quite large, the group in front is very often leaving the green before the next group tee off.

NearHull

Visit site
Yorkshire Golf Union have confirmed that they are playing two scheduled Opens in July. Meltham and Oakdale. I’m playing both.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golf courses are starting to play comps, our place has said not until 7th July and no fee and therefore no prizes, very cautious, so Open comps should be ok shouldn't they?

NearHull

Visit site
Have you signed up via Golf Genius?
No, I don’t think so, I am not sure what Golf Genius is. To play in the YGU events you have to be a member , it’s £40 one off fee to join. i think, but not sure, that a criteria of membership is to be a member of a Yorkshire based club. It’s good value as each of the 10(ish) events each year is £36 per pair, and played across the full width/breadth of the county.

on reflection that really doesn’t make it an Open Comp does it. ☹️

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, I don’t think so, I am not sure what Golf Genius is. To play in the YGU events you have to be a member , it’s £40 one off fee to join. i think, but not sure, that a criteria of membership is to be a member of a Yorkshire based club. It’s good value as each of the 10(ish) events each year is £36 per pair, and played across the full width/breadth of the county.

on reflection that really doesn’t make it an Open Comp does it. ☹️
As it happens I was on the YUGC executive for 10 years before I retired a couple of tears ago.
You are classed as a County Member and as you say there are about 10 events a year 'open' to all County Members.

It has been mentioned in casual conversation that these events may be giving the option or requiring players to use, the Golf Genius app on their phone to enter scores rather than handling cards. The app is capable of more that that but I don't know what features the YUCG may utilize.
https://www.golfgenius.com/contactless

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lancaster have opened up their booking for their remaining Opens. Just got me and the wife in the mixed in August. Also got Woodhall Spa booked in and that seems on at the moment.

It's a hap hap happy day !!!!!:D

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
To save starting another thread.......

This story was recounted to me on Monday during our stroll in a comp at Alnmouth.......

A bloke was marking a card in a pairs comp and when they got to a par three (there was a twos thing on the go). Before playing the hole one of the guys he was marking the card for said something like, just mark it as a two here. !!!!!!!!! Er how? Well we are in the twos, so we mark it as a two here and whatever we score we just add it to the score we get on the next hole. !!!!!! I kid you not!!!! Apparently they did this all the time. Thus ensuring at least a nice pick up in the twos bit. The bloke marking the card was dumbfounded, and refused the request! Despite the other blokes trying to pursuade him otherwise.

Hmmmmm. How many other are doing this?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
To save starting another thread.......

This story was recounted to me on Monday during our stroll in a comp at Alnmouth.......

A bloke was marking a card in a pairs comp and when they got to a par three (there was a twos thing on the go). Before playing the hole one of the guys he was marking the card for said something like, just mark it as a two here. !!!!!!!!! Er how? Well we are in the twos, so we mark it as a two here and whatever we score we just add it to the score we get on the next hole. !!!!!! I kid you not!!!! Apparently they did this all the time. Thus ensuring at least a nice pick up in the twos bit. The bloke marking the card was dumbfounded, and refused the request! Despite the other blokes trying to pursuade him otherwise.

Hmmmmm. How many other are doing this?

I’d have reported them to the organisers. Cheats like that have no place on a golf course, never mind stealing prize money in Opens/comps.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d have reported them to the organisers. Cheats like that have no place on a golf course, never mind stealing prize money in Opens/comps.
Exactly that happened to us in a seniors open at our own course.
We told the organisers and they were reported to their home club.

They should be banned for life from open comps.!
Never heard anything back

Swango1980

Visit site
I never enter 2's in Opens. At beat usually get a box of 3 balls, and might even have to travel back to get them. I have enough balls already.

One time I got a 2, went to get my prize next day, and it was ONE Srixon AD333

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I never enter 2's in Opens. At beat usually get a box of 3 balls, and might even have to travel back to get them. I have enough balls already.

One time I got a 2, went to get my prize next day, and it was ONE Srixon AD333
Just your luck, a few years ago we played the seniors open at Ratho Park, 2 of us out our 3 ball entered the 2s comp cost £2. The 3rd guy that didn't enter did get a 2 and lost out on a doz ProVs.

Last edited: