Golf near Gleneagles - ish

Visit site
Heading to Dornoch in April, playing Tain, Golspie and Castle Stuart. Looking at options on the way up for a 18-hole stop. Blairgowrie, Kingussie, Nairn all possibilities. Will book nearer time depending on weather over next 2 months

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Heading to Dornoch in April, playing Tain, Golspie and Castle Stuart. Looking at options on the way up for a 18-hole stop. Blairgowrie, Kingussie, Nairn all possibilities. Will book nearer time depending on weather over next 2 months
spoilt for Choice

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions chaps, think I'll see if I can give Gleneagles a call for twilight, failing that, try Auchterarder or St Fillan's as a backup. Not sure which way I'm gonna head up, especially as the locals can't even agree on times and distance :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but will get there somehow :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions chaps, think I'll see if I can give Gleneagles a call for twilight, failing that, try Auchterarder or St Fillan's as a backup. Not sure which way I'm gonna head up, especially as the locals can't even agree on times and distance :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but will get there somehow :)
i i don't think we would disagree on the route just how long it takes to get to Blairgowrie from ... anywhere:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

quickest is M6/M74/M80/A9

you could take the A82 the scenic route via Fort William

or Dundee, Aberdeenshire then though Breamar and the Cairngorms both would be slow compared to the direct

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Have been looking at Gleneagles as the primary choice, can get a twighlight booking at £90 each - same fee for all courses. It's more than I was planning to spend, but since we don't pass that way often, might spring for it. On the day we travel up, they have a shotgun start on the PGA Centenary and can't take any reservations for it, leaving the Kings or Queens as our options. Or I could change it round and look to play on the way back. This prompts two questions:

1. Would you wait for the Centenary to be available, or would you play one of the others?
2. If you are going to play one of the others, which one would it be, King's or Queen's?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would always choose the Kings or Queens over the Centenary. Of those two, I think the Kings is the tougher and the Queens is prettier, but very little to choose between them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Have been looking at Gleneagles as the primary choice, can get a twighlight booking at £90 each - same fee for all courses. It's more than I was planning to spend, but since we don't pass that way often, might spring for it. On the day we travel up, they have a shotgun start on the PGA Centenary and can't take any reservations for it, leaving the Kings or Queens as our options. Or I could change it round and look to play on the way back. This prompts two questions:

1. Would you wait for the Centenary to be available, or would you play one of the others?
2. If you are going to play one of the others, which one would it be, King's or Queen's?

Ive never played the PGA, but have the others, i think the Kings gets all the attention and plaudits, but i enjoyed the Queens more as its much shorter, though the first few par 4 are pretty long as i remember. the kings was quite long.. with little run.

for me the queens

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Kings and Queens every day. Not that I think the PGA is a bad course it's just not in the Gleneagles style.

I love the Kings and the Queens is also a great fun course, slightly shorter but still great fun. To be honest you won't be disappointed with either choice.