Golf near Gleneagles - ish

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Heading up to Dornoch again at the beginning of May. The trip will involve playing at Dornoch and Brora, but due to the 11 hour trip wiping us out last time, planning to stopover halfway-ish, and hopefully play a round of golf. Happy to play after 3pm on a twighlight, or just 9 holes. Was looking at Auchterarder as an option, but wondered if there are any other recommendations worth considering? Ideally like to keep the greenfees down to less than £50, but that is not a game ender.

D

Deleted member 21258

Not sure on your route up but:-

Blairgowrie golf isn't far from Gleneagles and do a twilight at £50 after 4pm.

Ladybank golf is nearish to gleneagles and do a twilight at £50 from 2.30pm

I am doing a similar trip from the NW(thankfully not 11 hrs), and these are on the potential list I made notes on, to play on way up.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Auchterarder is very nice, Crieff is also not far away and is a good track. Muckhart has 3 x loops of 9 and is not a bad day out.

Travel further up the A9 and you have Pitlochry which is also good and you're passing it anyway. Again if you are making good time and can get further you have Spey Valley, Newtonmore, Kingussie and Granton as well as Boat of Garten all in and around Aviemore.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whenever someone posts about golf near Gleneagles I always recommend Comrie. A hidden gem of a 9 holer. You will struggle to find better golf (as a visitor before some smart alec pipes up) for £20

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Whenever someone posts about golf near Gleneagles I always recommend Comrie. A hidden gem of a 9 holer. You will struggle to find better golf (as a visitor before some smart alec pipes up) for £20

A wee bit off track to get there. Personally I wouldn't bypass Auchterarder or Pitlochry to get to Comrie (which I agree is a lovely wee track) but for me it makes sense to play a course 30 seconds from the A9.

User20204

Visit site
A wee bit off track to get there. Personally I wouldn't bypass Auchterarder or Pitlochry to get to Comrie (which I agree is a lovely wee track) but for me it makes sense to play a course 30 seconds from the A9.

What he says. Both courses are worth the effort and as stated a mere 7 iron from the A9.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i would say it would depend on how long you plan to stop for, if its a night then i would go for somewhere you really want to play, if it just to break the Journey then somewhere close to the route.

Personally i would just crack on its only another 4 hours to Dornoch from Gleneagles

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
i would say it would depend on how long you plan to stop for, if its a night then i would go for somewhere you really want to play, if it just to break the Journey then somewhere close to the route.

Personally i would just crack on its only another 4 hours to Dornoch from Gleneagles

To be honest, I would just like to crack on too, I'm happy to do the driving, but Mrs Wedge is adamant that we stop somewhere, both ways too :censored::mad:. So if we're stopping somewhere, then I'm playing at least 9 holes.... :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not sure on your route up but:-

Blairgowrie golf isn't far from Gleneagles and do a twilight at £50 after 4pm.

Ladybank golf is nearish to gleneagles and do a twilight at £50 from 2.30pm

I am doing a similar trip from the NW(thankfully not 11 hrs), and these are on the potential list I made notes on, to play on way up.
Niether of those are near Gleneagles, though to your credit at least they are both in Scotland..hope you are not navigating when you travel:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes, PremInn/ Travel lodge or some such, although on the way back, may stop at or near Dalmahoy as a friend is one of the Pro's there.
which way are you coming up?

half way is really the borders as such what about Silloth, you could do somewhere around there and come back Via Edinburgh and maybe do one of the east Loathian courses?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
which way are you coming up?

half way is really the borders as such what about Silloth, you could do somewhere around there and come back Via Edinburgh and maybe do one of the east Loathian courses?

I did already look at Silloth earlier today, but no tee times available on the day we're travelling :(. We came up the M6 towards Glasgow and across to the A9 via M80 last time, don't really see it any different this time. Quite fancied a shot at Gleneagles, but with the extra stopover accomodation etc. it's really more of a quick fun stop on the way, and trying not to overload the expenses

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I did already look at Silloth earlier today, but no tee times available on the day we're travelling :(. We came up the M6 towards Glasgow and across to the A9 via M80 last time, don't really see it any different this time. Quite fancied a shot at Gleneagles, but with the extra stopover accomodation etc. it's really more of a quick fun stop on the way, and trying not to overload the expenses

if you fancy Gleneagles i would go with that, we reg get offers from them, but they are mostly winter Dinner B&B and spar/golf offers, might be worth a look.

personally i like just getting the driver over and done with, when i went to Forest pines last year did it without a stop and been to Halifax twice since and again did both of those in one hit too, didn't even stop for a pee, its a bastard of a drive, the worst bit it between Perth and Dornoch for you, plus i'd imagine the road works will still be ongoing after perth and was 20 MPH ASC for a at least 10 miles

D

Deleted member 21258

Niether of those are near Gleneagles, though to your credit at least they are both in Scotland..hope you are not navigating when you travel:ROFLMAO:

Thought they were about 30ish miles from Gleneagles and fairly close to the A9/M90(?) route up from the SE area. As hoping to hit Gleneagles on route myself. I will have a better look, thanks for the heads up (y)

Hey, Silloth isn't in Scotland, just in case you need to navigate your way down south:D;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thought they were about 30ish miles from Gleneagles and fairly close to the A9/M90(?) route up from the SE area. As hoping to hit Gleneagles on route myself. I will have a better look, thanks for the heads up (y)

Hey, Silloth isn't in Scotland, just in case you need to navigate your way down south:D;)

Gleneagles or the village its in has the A9 running right past it, Blairgowrie dosen't its an hour plus at least and i would say ladybank is about the same. if you are going via Gleneagles you would be coming via the M6/M74/M8/M80/A9

i didn't say it was, i suggest it and the borders might be a better stop over as its half way rather than stopping a few hours from his destination.