Any one played Reay Golf Club

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Off to Dornoch again in September. Playing at Dornoch whilst there and Gleneagles On the way back. Have a spare day up there for more golf. Considering Brora again, it was fantastic last time we were there, but am interested in Reay. Wondering if anyone has played it, and whether it's worth the extra trip to the top of the land?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a trip across from Scrabster to Durness a month ago and fully intended to stop off and play Reay we were going to stay overnight close by but that didn’t work out unfortunately.

But we stopped off at the clubhouse and walked some of the course on the way to the beach, it was a glorious day with very few playing I stood on one of the tees on a parr 3 and would have loved to play that hole, I had a good look at 6/7 holes and I know from a friend that’s played there that the front 9 are very very good.

I spoke to the green keeper a friendly young lad whose highly thought of.

I did think of asking the wife to have a walk along the beach while I played but thought better of it ?

If I were in that area again I would definitely try and play there, I did get to play the 9 hole course at Durness which had stunning views.

evemccc

Visit site
Off to Dornoch again in September. Playing at Dornoch whilst there and Gleneagles On the way back. Have a spare day up there for more golf. Considering Brora again, it was fantastic last time we were there, but am interested in Reay. Wondering if anyone has played it, and whether it's worth the extra trip to the top of the land?

Golspie, and Fortrose and Rosemarkie are both excellent courses - I recommend them both

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve also noticed there’s a senior pairs open at Royal Dornoch in October for £112 a pair, would like to return to play there sometime as the first time I played there I was somewhat underwhelmed. It didn’t help the last 6 holes were played in heavy rain, it must be better than I remembered when I played there.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Golspie, and Fortrose and Rosemarkie are both excellent courses - I recommend them both

I played Dornoch, Tain, Fortrose and Rosemarkie, Golspie and Brora on a highland deal a few years ago and all are excellent courses but the one I enjoyed most was Tain.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not played it, but understand its OK, was due to play the 2 round comp with wick last year but was cancelled. Wick is ok the back 9 stands out. Been to the Nuclear powerstation that's right next door, not sure if the visitor center is still open or not but was worth a visit if it is. Depending on dates could take you on nairn if you like

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have played Reay 3 times in the past and it's a great course.
That's over 20 years ago so I can't say what it's like now.

Having played it once I'd also recommend nearby Thurso, but for both I'd choose a fairly quiet day as the wind and rain can get up.
In June you can tee off at nine in the evening and finish before midnight, or even start at midnight if the weather permits.
Great views of the Orkneys.

As for Brora that is my favourite among courses in Caithness and Sutherland.

Last edited: