Golf Monthly - PING Pro-AM - Centurion Club

peterlav

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What a fabulous day!!!

Huge thank you once again to Mike, all at GM, Ping staff and players, all at Centurion GC, and to Tom Lewis who I had the pleasure of playing with.

Day started with breakfast on the patio overlooking the 18th Green in the sunshine, weather was perfect all day.

Tried the new G30 Driver (my thoughts on this are in a separate thread) and a range of Ping putters

The golf course is in incredible condition for a course which has only been open for 12 months, every lie on the fairway was good, greens are really smooth and true and are fairly quick without being too firm and fast and are accepting to approach shots. Rough is long and wispy, but if you venture further off line, it is absolutely brutal!!!
First 4 or 5 holes are similar to Woburn, with very tall trees surrounding each hole, course gradually opens out with some very nice holes. The only very slight disappointment with the course is the 5 holes out near the M1 which seem to be very similar, on one tee you see 3 fairways in front of you and all look identical.
I would recommend playing the course to everyone if you have the opportunity, I would love to play it again in a few years, as it will be a Top 100 Course by then.

Tom Lewis is an Official Forum Member, 10th Hole 357yds slightly uphill, no breeze to speak of and he unleashes one to within 2yds of the front of the green!!!! Lovely lad, great company and boy can he strike a golf ball, he hasn't got the best short game in the World, which is what he practices most, but he had just returned from 10 days in Las Vegas and said he needed a couple of days practice to 'tighten everything up'

It may surprise some to hear that Rickg was there for the start and end of the day!! He even managed to persuade Guy (Midnight) to play another 9 holes. Which after finishing a night shift, having 2 hours sleep, driving 1.5hrs, playing 18 holes in the heat, before driving back home to start another night shift is insane!! Pleasure to meet you Guy, will play again sometime in the near future.

Day rounded off with a lovely BBQ and Prizegiving, winning Pro was 6 under Par, and our team was lucky enough to scrape into 3rd place.

Cannot recommend this day highly enough, and would encourage everyone to enter if it happens again next year, whether you are a Ping fan or not.

012.jpg
013.jpg
014.jpg
015.jpg
017.jpg
018.jpg

Last edited:

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All I can say is WOW what a amazing day!!

Thanks to Mike ,everyone at Golf Monthly,all the Ping staff and players, everyone at Centurion GC (esp the blonde barmaid), and to Tom Lewis who had the pleasure of playing with me.

When I arrived at the club , i thought do I really belong here , then some staff member came over and tried to nick my clubs, I then realised he was offering to take them to the club house for me.

Breakfast was very nice and filling, weather was great and from the patio I could see the lake/pond by the 18th green , this would later steal one of my golf balls.

Next up was the range , to try all the ping gear , again this was great , hit everything they had and really liked all the kit . The driver esp flew longer than what I have and gave me a lot of confidence.

On to the golf course , all I can say is Rick you jammy git. I loved the course , I found it a very fair challenge which punished you for bad shots. I did not lose many balls but did spend a bit of time chipping out from trees. As the years go on I can see the course turning into something very special. If you ever get a chance to play this course then do it or give me the invite. The course beat me up on a few holes but I really loved it.

Tom Lewis - what a down to earth bloke , he can smack the ball a really good distance and it has such a nice shape to it. I did offer to teach him the perfect hook left but he said he did not know if he could use it like me. He completely put me at ease and was chatty and a real good laugh.

Day ended with the BBQ (which I had 2 rounds off) and the prize giving , which we managed to come 3rd in.

I then went out and played another 9 holes with Rick , which again was a great laugh.

Everyone at the club made me feel very welcome and they were all happy to come up and chat to you. Event the owner came over and introduced himself and had a chat about the course. (unfortunately I could not blag free membership)

If you ever get a chance to do anything like this , then go for it you won't regret it. If like me you are a high handicapper and are worried you will make a tool off yourself, i would say don't worry about it , I managed to hook a drive straight into the trees in front of all the cameras and Tom, and the response from Tom was 'You didn't want to do that'

Cracking day, met some great people look forward to catching up with some of my playing partners at the next meet , if they fancy playing again with me.

Thanks again from a still smiling Midnight....

JPEGG42

Hacker
Visit site
If the pictures are anything to go by on the website, when the Club house is finished, it will be an amazing place. Still alot of growing up to do, but for a course 12 months old it is in good nic. Lucky enough to play in the GM Ping ProAm yesterday. Met the infamous "RICKG" and as promised i have joined the forum!
Greens are slick and plenty of faiway to hit... off line and there is some trouble. Im not sure how easy it wil lbe to get round in winter though as a lot of climbing needed... pack some crampons in winter?!
A great day testing all the new G30 gear from ping and the tour Truck was a good visit... managed to get my SW fixed too!!
Was lucky to play along side the WINNIG Captain Matt Baldwin who launched it out there on many occasions and his sand play was awesome. A treat to get up close to a Pro.
Sounds like some of you have been to more than one of these do's so now I have met you and now involved here I hope to see you again.
Can Ping design Trilby hats though? I have a bright red head today!

D

Deleted member 15344

Welcome to the forum and glad you enjoyed your day at a great course :thup:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the pictures are anything to go by on the website, when the Club house is finished, it will be an amazing place. Still alot of growing up to do, but for a course 12 months old it is in good nic. Lucky enough to play in the GM Ping ProAm yesterday. Met the infamous "RICKG" and as promised i have joined the forum!
Greens are slick and plenty of faiway to hit... off line and there is some trouble. Im not sure how easy it wil lbe to get round in winter though as a lot of climbing needed... pack some crampons in winter?!
A great day testing all the new G30 gear from ping and the tour Truck was a good visit... managed to get my SW fixed too!!
Was lucky to play along side the WINNIG Captain Matt Baldwin who launched it out there on many occasions and his sand play was awesome. A treat to get up close to a Pro.
Sounds like some of you have been to more than one of these do's so now I have met you and now involved here I hope to see you again.
Can Ping design Trilby hats though? I have a bright red head today!

I was on your team "dave" aka 'hacker'. Your head was a lovely shade of red
Ouch!!!

JPEGG42

Hacker
Visit site
Hey Dave
Just blame thr lack of sleep!!
Good to meet you. .. hope you sort those ssssssssh out. Keep ya nut down and swing slower
Played on my little course last night. 19 points10 holes

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey Dave
Just blame thr lack of sleep!!
Good to meet you. .. hope you sort those ssssssssh out. Keep ya nut down and swing slower
Played on my little course last night. 19 points10 holes

What a time to get the shanks though! Thank god they only stayed with me for 3 holes. it was very new for me to shank 3 in a row. THE SHAME

JPEGG42

Hacker
Visit site
Fantastic video guys...... :thup:

Hey RickG
When does the course get its yardage charts printed? Great course and for most you can see where things are. Think it was 16 we were not sure of what was ahead... Matt could have hit his driver! Still made par and the winning margin was still 9 points!!
One of my group collects Yardage charts too.. be a nice momento of a great day. :eek:ne:

Keep swinging!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey RickG
When does the course get its yardage charts printed? Great course and for most you can see where things are. Think it was 16 we were not sure of what was ahead... Matt could have hit his driver! Still made par and the winning margin was still 9 points!!
One of my group collects Yardage charts too.. be a nice momento of a great day. :eek:ne:

Keep swinging!

The 16th? Thats the hole i nearly killed matt with my blind pitch shot. Where are you from Julian? Can you remember where alan was from too?

JPEGG42

Hacker
Visit site
David
Im from Bishops Stortford... live in Braintree. Both about 20 mins from Stansted Airport.
Alan was from Bradford... a small village just above it he said.
Ha yeah you were not far away!

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Been a busy week so havent had a chance to post until now, but I was one of the lucky ones to go to this. Firstly, a massive thank you to the Golf Monthly guys, it was a treat being there, they were also superbly organised and made it an awesome event. It was nice to finally meet them in person as well, good bunch of guys.

Secondly, what an experience! Having the cameras clicking away just after you have hit a shot and being filmed for quite a few of the shots was something I have never experienced before. After seeing the video footage my swing thought is 'suck your stomach in'. Playing with the pro was also fantastic, could see how they play up close and I think I learnt alot. I watch alot of golf on tv and you only see the great shots they hit, sounds funny, but it was nice to see that they are human and also make mistakes.

Thirdly, the G30 range looked very good. Not a massive jump from the G25 range to be honest and I dont think someone who plays the G25 range would change to the G30 range, but if you are looking for a new set then they are definitely worth a try. I really got on with the driver, fairway and hybrids, quite tempted to change my 4 iron for a 4 hybrid.

Fourthly, the course...lovely, well groomed and some stunning holes. Not too tight off the tee, which is good for me personally because I can be a little all over the place. You can see the course needs to mature a little, but its already impressive. Great practise facilities as well and with RickG being their unofficial Director of PR, you do get a warm welcome

Thanks again to Golf Monthly and Ping, an amazing day that I won't forget.

Cheers,
George