Golf lesson - grip change - rubbish...

clarke_111

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ok background- Been playing seriously for around 18 months - regular practice and playing a lot. I have got down to a h/c of 17 (started at 24) and have been playing ok. Had some lessons years ago (4 or 5 lessons) but nothing since my return to the game.

However, I noticed recently that I didn't have much confidence in my swing when things went wrong, and during bad rounds I would tinker with things to fix it-therefore I figured I should get a lesson on the grounds that if I've been told what to work on I ll trust the pro and stick to it. Also everyone said lessons were the way to go.

So I had a lesson on Tuesday. Pro said some nice things about my swing-but commented that the grip was too strong, and made some small posture changes (less upright, weight slightly more on right side at address), plus some tips on releasing the club through impact (stopping Spieth style chicken wing)!

The posture bit is fine. The grip is terrible though. I hit it ok in the lesson-really well at times, but trying on the range since and its like starting all over again. I couldn't play off 28 at the mo. The strike feels awful (slappy as opposed to solid, feels terrible off the face), the flight is low (even though this was about improving flight), missing both left and right. Plus it feels horrid. I don't feel like I can release my wrists. It's horrid. Why did it feel ok I'm lesson but day after and onwards it has been awful?

Have other people found this with lessons. Do I need to stick with it and it will come good. Have others changed grips and struggled with the feel.

Felt like packing my clubs away for good on the range this afternoon-this can't be right! Help!

Last edited:

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Changing your grip takes a LOT of work....

I could make a weaker grip work when hitting 6 irons with the pro, but the work to take my stronger grip to where he wanted was too much.

Strong grips can work, ask Fred Couples for details

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Been playing seriously for about 2yrs now and never had a lesson, I just picked up on what my mates were doing, I found that sometimes it's best to just figure it out for yourself, YouTube is a great source of info for tips on where you may be going wrong, not everything works for everyone though so you need to figure out what the issue is and then go find a tip or 2 as to how to combat it, then adapt that to suit your swing, that's what I've done anyway...:thup:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been playing seriously for about 2yrs now and never had a lesson, I just picked up on what my mates were doing, I found that sometimes it's best to just figure it out for yourself, YouTube is a great source of info for tips on where you may be going wrong, not everything works for everyone though so you need to figure out what the issue is and then go find a tip or 2 as to how to combat it, then adapt that to suit your swing, that's what I've done anyway...:thup:

No offence, but I would completely ignore that entire post.

Listen to your pro. Stick with the grip changes and it'll be worth the struggles in the long-term. Don't sacrifice long-term improvement for short-term success.

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk

No No No No!

If you're not naturally gifted at swinging a golf club then you have to have someone who know's what they're doing look at all the moving parts and help you with your game. The videos from Shiels, Finchy & Crossfield are great for entertainment but I take their "tutorial" video's with a pinch of salt. Unless they have seen your swing then they simply cannot create a video which is going to help you. If you get on with your pro, stick with him, stick with the things he's getting you to do, commit to his ethos and ideas and it'll make you a better golfer. See my blog for first hand experience of struggling with swing changes.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Changing your grip takes a LOT of work....

I could make a weaker grip work when hitting 6 irons with the pro, but the work to take my stronger grip to where he wanted was too much.

Strong grips can work, ask Fred Couples for details

This is a good summary of the reality.

You do not need to do it - given your time and experience you clearly have scope for significant handicap improvement sticking with what you currently do; but doing it more consistently and gaining ground with your short game.

So the question becomes " do you want to do it?"

Either trust the pro and get on with it (you should agree that he will give you the odd 5 mins here and there to ensure you are doing it 'right' ) or stick with the comfortable.

As to the learn from books videos and mates ... most golfers have such a distorted perspective on what they are actually doing in their swing (not the practice swing - the one with the ball) that this generally results is a slower improvement process than simply playing more.( cue posts about Bubb a never having a lesson etc etc)

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Stick with it. I went the other way with my grip (was too weak and had to change to a strong grip) and it took a while for it to feel comfortable and natural. All of a sudden though it just clicked and now feels like I've also had this grip.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What was strong ?

Left hand right hand or both?

I have managed to weaken off my left a but it's been a gradual process. My right is still very strong.

I honestly cannot hit a golf ball from the uber weak positions some people have their right hand in.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
real way to go would be to stick with the PGA Pro

the lessons for sure need to be regular for a bunch of time spaced with time to 'really train in the changes' those changes

reason they often times have better outcomes in the lesson is you have guidance to make sure the 'stuff' is in good shape before the swing gets put on the ball

real proper training practice alone is an issue often times because of 'feel to real' and that something that most folks struggle with this
so often times in their own training sessions folks hit balls truly thinking those changes are being worked on but to start off with most times they are not exactly as 'new stuff' tends to slip back a tad to comfy while also still trying to swing at full steam ahead - as opposed to 60%-70% swing effort to give tad more 'time' to sequence new stuff up

would say would be worth giving some thought into investigating just how best to train in practice - like putting alignment sticks down so both body alignments and ball position can really be where they all should be as there's some visual check points
and making sure the hold on the handle does not slip back to comfy all that kinda stuff - have to think around monitoring training sessions so not relying purely on 'feel to real' as it's a fickle training partner

most folks have cells so video the grip, set-up, swings, alignments all of that stuff (shoot from front on and dtl - get some reference of both angles from the lesson sessions so you have a 'models' to work to and compare the stuff being done in the training practice)
for sure get some quicker results if some rigor is given to the real monitoring of what's going down in training

mostly when starting the sessions any swing motions would be better worked feeling the motion needed in slow motion first off
then follow with a half speed rehearsal swing
then swing through a ball but only at 60% (having checked all the stuff grip, set-up, posture, aim, alignments, ball position)

it's a ways impossible to try make changes just trying to hit everything spark out with no real way of monitoring what is actually goin down in the training sessions - think of it as training not practice as the main purpose first off is to change stuff - can make training interesting and enjoyable as well

put some good work in the reward is better results out in play

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had my lesson early on whilst I was getting seriously into golf albeit I played pitch and putt quite regularly but never considered lessons etc. My first lesson my pro changed my grip totally and I was struggling to hit the ball sweetly for about a week but now (2 months on) I hit it sooo much more accurately, I can actually aim for a target and get it on target rather than previously when it could go straight, left or right. My hands ached like crazy for the first few weeks but now its a natural position. Interestingly at the range this week I tried my old grip and videoed my swing and it was embarassing to watch. If you have gone to the trouble of having lessons I would definitely stick with what he has recommended. Watching videos as mentioned earlier is ok for some things but they aren't personal to you. if after a few lessons you aren't seeing any improvement I am sure you pro will help you sort it.

Good luck :)

clarke_111

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks all, really helpful. I tend to agree about sticking with it. That is why I went to a pro in the first part after deciding the limitations of YouTube/mags/books was to great.

Re. The grip. Mostly the left hand, although the right a little. Basically I think the release of the club through impact is off so I compensated by having a strong grip to get the face back to square. The weakend grip leads to a push slice-or it should but today they were going low and left for some weird reason.

Just can't believe how 'wrong' it feels and my ability to strike a ball well appears to have totally vanished. Hence my panic!

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
I had been striking the ball well before my first ever lesson too; my pro strengthened my left-hand grip and weakened my right-hand. Before I had a weak left-grip and a strong right-grip which I compensated for in other ways.

It has taken time for the changes made to bed in and feel more natural, and initially my game did suffer; but the changes got be down to 12 from 18 so the changes were well worth persevering with. As others have said, trust in what your pro is trying to do and work with him.. its too easy to revert back to the old ways, but do fight that urge when it comes. It will get better in time.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No offence, but I would completely ignore that entire post.

Listen to your pro. Stick with the grip changes and it'll be worth the struggles in the long-term. Don't sacrifice long-term improvement for short-term success.

None taken, just my own personal experience, like I said what works for some won't nessecarily work for others...;)

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No No No No!

If you're not naturally gifted at swinging a golf club then you have to have someone who know's what they're doing look at all the moving parts and help you with your game. The videos from Shiels, Finchy & Crossfield are great for entertainment but I take their "tutorial" video's with a pinch of salt. Unless they have seen your swing then they simply cannot create a video which is going to help you. If you get on with your pro, stick with him, stick with the things he's getting you to do, commit to his ethos and ideas and it'll make you a better golfer. See my blog for first hand experience of struggling with swing changes.

Quite agree, not everyone has an abundance of natural ability, lucky for me sporting ability is not something I've ever struggled with, although to look at me you wouldn't have thought it, the ravages of time have not been kind...:smirk:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Stick with it otherwise why bother paying the pro for the lesson. It will take time to feel comfortable and to see results so hit the range, stick with it and hit some balls doing exactly what the pro showed you

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One more point from my experience, at the range after each shot put your club down, pick it up again and set up!! Helps it become a more natural feel much quicker! With a few weeks you'll be wondering how you actually managed to hit the ball with your old grip :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
One more point from my experience, at the range after each shot put your club down, pick it up again and set up!! Helps it become a more natural feel much quicker! With a few weeks you'll be wondering how you actually managed to hit the ball with your old grip :)

Good point. I tend to walk off the mat after each shot and resist the temptation to then just put another ball straight down. Step back on and treat every ball individually as you would on a course

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Good point, as a continuation, what about trying different club sequences during practice sessions say driver or 3-wood then a 6,7,8 or 9 iron and finally a pitching wedge as you would when out on the course, could even chuck your rescue in there somewhere, your thoughts...:thup: