GOLF IS MEANT TO BE FUN!!

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How any of us forget that golf is meant to be fun?
When we are out on the course and we are having a bad round can you pick yourself back up or do you get into a deeper depressions shot by shot and forget the reason you play golf is because its fun!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
If I have a really bad round I still nevr give up til its over, however it takes me hours to mentally get over it as I do get a little down, but then again missing pizza hut on friday lunches in work also does the same, Im a grown lad and I think its good if it affects you enough to think about where you went wrong. If im playing well or badly enough to know im on a loser I am enjoying myself, I probably get more chatty if anything too.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I'm in good company, on a good course, like on Friday for example, I don't give a hoot how badly I'm playing. It's a different matter when I'm on my own.

As Terry Wogan might say "See John. See the gorse. See the air turn blue"

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
Trying very hard to enforce the Tiger rule.. Allow yourself 20 seconds to be pi55ed off at a bad shot then forget it. This makes me a better player and the better I play the more fun it is...

I think different people play golf for different reasons. I have a friend, off 1, who plays golf to be good at it. He derives his enjoyment, fun, from scoring well. This is his aim. I also have friends that play golf as a social occassion, they derive their pleasure from larking around on a course with their mates. Yes they may enjoy it a little more if they play well, but unlike the 1 handicapper it is not the B all and end all.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
When you're on your own and your game is going badly; stop and look around you, breathe in the sights and sounds, take your time, you could even let the next group through. We golfers are the luckiest people in the world - just look what we have as a playground.
If you can't get a lift from this then you're a lost cause

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Although I am always thinking about the score, and the day I don't care is the day I give up, I try and enjoy it too. Setting targets during the round can help turn it around, so that even a bad round can have positives. It is harder to have fun in a medal if you are not playing well, but I hope that I am more fun on my bounce and swindle games than not.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No matter how bad it's going, there's always going to be one good shot and if nothing else, you're having a long walk in beautiful surroundings - how can you not have fun?

Worst day golfing is still better than pretty much anything else (with obvious exceptions! ;))

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have never been pissed off on the course, I play golf for fun hence the reason I hardly ever score my round.
I get enough stress in work, I dont want it in my time as well.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
John you hit the nail on the head. COMPANY. If I'm playing with assholes I dont enjoy it even if I'm playing well but then again if I'm playing with these said gentlemen I do a bit of show boating, and it's great to see their amazement at some of my play. I have a fantastic 4ball on saturdays, my partner plays of 28 (will never improve) and the 2 guys who we play against play off 10 and 11. We normally win surprise surprise.
Its the good craic and banter which make our 4ball, we all know who is playing well and we all know when to shut up.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If you play at the Vale of Llangollen, as I do, then simply appreciating the scenery is a big part of the enjoyment, notwithstanding the golf. It's always enhanced by a good round of course, but I do think myself privileged just to be out there in the fresh air. I feel sorry for others who are not fit enough through advancing age or illness, not to have the enjoyment I have.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you're on your own and your game is going badly; stop and look around you, breathe in the sights and sounds, take your time, you could even let the next group through. We golfers are the luckiest people in the world - just look what we have as a playground.
If you can't get a lift from this then you're a lost cause

Amen to that.

A bad round of golf is ALWAYS better that a good day at work.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's just nice to get out there and away from the hassles of work, DIY that needs doing around the house, the screaming demands of a toddler.... when you work full time the few hours to escape are so precious without idiots hurling their wedge into the rough.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
This is why I love golf first thing in the morning, without the pressures of competitions up your behind, I like to look out down the first and think "this is what life is about" and be totally relaxed, I can not wait to be able to tee off at 0600-0630 on a weekend, with no one around just the course and you, wonderful.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yes, true, but I still want a fourball. At worst a three for some skins. Two ball is ok at a pinch, but I hate playing on my own. I tend to get the whole 18 done in about an hour and a half.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Its a great feeling sitting in the bar watching other golfers play the 18th and knowing after you have birdied it that you concurred that hole for the day, the other 17 might have beaten you to a pulp, but that 18th hole birdie with a pint in hand and the sun shining can never be beat