Golf in the aberdeen area

big_al

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all, i've literally not been on here for years but am just looking for some advice.
I've been offered free accommodation in aberdeen over the next month so am thinking of having a golf weekend up there.
Can anyone recommend what courses to play?
I've looked at trump international and royal aberdeen but ideally would be looking for green fees for less than £100.
Trump international looks amazing but is it worth the £200 plus green fee?
Thanks

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yep treat yourself at trump, or even play twice as the replay rate is a lot less, so you may get 2 rounds for about £300. If not, bunk on.:D

After Trump, I'd rate them as:-

Cruden bay
Royal Aberdeen
Murcar.

Mickyc

Hacker
Visit site
Played trump, royal Aberdeen and cruden in an epic trip in June. I would rate them all highly but in that order. There isn't an ugly view from anywhere on trump. Cruden I found a little "quirky" but can't really tell you what I mean by that. Royal Aberdeen was great as well.

U

User62651

If you want to save some sheckles for beer money, the 2 seaside links munis in Aberdeen are perfectly decent - Kings Links and Balnagask(Nigg Bay) as are the parkland muni courses at Auchmill and Hazelhead.
Dry part of UK too which surprises many... but cold.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
You are spoiled for choice up there as the others have pointed out.

There are some little gems that don't get the press of the better know ones

Inverallochy - tremendous little course that starts slow and gets going
Peterhead - Soem of the best par 4's I have had the pleasure of messing up
Newburgh on Ythan - 2 very different nines but extremely enjoyable

Have fun pal

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What kind of accommodation have you been offered? Someone's house while they are on holiday or a caravan/ hotel or something?

big_al

Club Champion
Visit site
What kind of accommodation have you been offered? Someone's house while they are on holiday or a caravan/ hotel or something?

My brother in law is working up there and has rented a serviced apartment, he comes home every weekend leaving it sat there empty.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ah right, was going to say if it had been someone's house you could have applied for a local residents rate to play trump. Not sure if it would work with a rented apartment. Should phone and ask. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Depends on whether you prefer links or parkland courses, I always enjoy Duff House Royal and Turriff. If you don't have the GolfNow app download it, some great deals compared to just turning up and paying the standard green fee.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Another fan of Newmacher (Hawkshill), as long as the weather has been kind! However, it's a parkland course and that's not really what that area is about!

So Cruden Bay and Murcar would be my recommendation for 'accessible' courses! Royal Aberdeen if you can find a contact to get you on! And Trump if you really want to push the boat out for an 'experience'!