Golf in Spain - Near Malaga

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There is also a 9 hole course at La Cala, called La Noria

Its short with some quirky holes and not particularly expensive. Might be worth considering fir a fun 9 holes if you don't have a lot of time.
Its certainly not a full scale course, but its a very popular little spot, and right at the side of the dual carriageway where you turn up to la Cala.

https://www.lanoriagolf.net/

Love it, looks like it would be great fun in the afternoon one day

Yogidog1

Visit site
Hi played Santans,Torre Quebrada,Le Chaparral twice a couple of weeks ago.Santana and Torre Quebrada nice courses,Le Chaparral considering the weather was really hot,they must water all night!!!!!!!! as course was very wet and only allowed buggies on certain holes,my brother in law slipped on the 11th going to his ball which had steep banks to go down and fractured his low part of his leg(no more golf for 6 weeks)would not play Le Chaparral again only plus side was the cost 67 euros with the buggy included.
Another vote for Santana over the others. Haven't been for a while, but wonder if the golf ball sellers still line the road up to La Cala? They are there for a reason!
Yes IanM the golf ball sellers still line up!!!!!!!!!

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another vote for MalagaCar Hire and Santana here. We also play El Chaparral, just outside Fuengirola, every time we go over there and are rarely disappointed.

We were there a few weeks ago and as I was using hire clubs, we purchased some balls from the sellers on the road to La Cala but there were very few of these sellers around compared to a few years ago.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Another vote for MalagaCar Hire and Santana here. We also play El Chaparral, just outside Fuengirola, every time we go over there and are rarely disappointed.

We were there a few weeks ago and as I was using hire clubs, we purchased some balls from the sellers on the road to La Cala but there were very few of these sellers around compared to a few years ago.

I understand from Gemma at Sunshine Golf, that El Chapparal do their greens maintanance in late september, and she actually advised us not to play it a couple of years ago when we were out at that time of year. Might explain some of the comments that have popped up on this thread?

I like the place, but it's not one of favourites down there.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So we have decided to play La Cala on the day we arrive as they have a great deal for a round on any course with a buggy and dinner for 55 euro.

For anyone who has played the courses, which would you recommend to play twice?

It seems the courses have undergone a big renovation with new bunkering and the Asia course being transitioned to Bermuda grass.

Visit site
Think I've played the America course more often, that's the one with the par 5 opening hole, teeing off from way up above the fairway. The America has some serious descents and ascents, and is not loved by our group, though i don't mind it. The Asia course is the original course, (I think), and tight. The Europa course is down below, virtually adjacent to Santana, but quirky.
I think if I was playing a course twice there, it would be the Asia.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So we have decided to play La Cala on the day we arrive as they have a great deal for a round on any course with a buggy and dinner for 55 euro.

For anyone who has played the courses, which would you recommend to play twice?

It seems the courses have undergone a big renovation with new bunkering and the Asia course being transitioned to Bermuda grass.

I've not played Asia, but out if the other two, I'd prefer America over Europa.
The latter is way out of the back of the complex, and goes through some fairly challenging terrain, plus when we played, no buggy bar and no beer until we got to the 12th hole.

Some nice holes on America, if you hit a decent drive on the par 5 18th, you can set up a a realistic eagle opportunity. Nice way to end the round.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I've not played Asia, but out if the other two, I'd prefer America over Europa.
The latter is way out of the back of the complex, and goes through some fairly challenging terrain, plus when we played, no buggy bar and no beer until we got to the 12th hole.

Some nice holes on America, if you hit a decent drive on the par 5 18th, you can set up a a realistic eagle opportunity. Nice way to end the round.

Is that the one that is a 90 degree dogleg left and if you manage to get the ball to the dogleg (little more than 200yds) it will take the slope and run all the way down the hill?

My second shot was with a lob wedge when I played it a few years ago....I missed the bloody green!!!

One of my group drove through the dogleg and his ball ended up behind a tree, he had to chip out at 90 degrees from in the trees. when he emerged he couldn't find his ball....I pointed it out all the way down the hill....his chip shot had 5 yards of carry and 150yds of roll!!!!

Not the best golf hole in the world in all honesty!!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Is that the one that is a 90 degree dogleg left and if you manage to get the ball to the dogleg (little more than 200yds) it will take the slope and run all the way down the hill?

My second shot was with a lob wedge when I played it a few years ago....I missed the bloody green!!!

One of my group drove through the dogleg and his ball ended up behind a tree, he had to chip out at 90 degrees from in the trees. when he emerged he couldn't find his ball....I pointed it out all the way down the hill....his chip shot had 5 yards of carry and 150yds of roll!!!!

That's the one, if you hit a slight draw into the right place it runs almost to the green.
My brother had about 100 yards to the green off his tee shot the first time we played. He walked off with a double bogey!!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site

It’s an interesting hole though, a different kind of challenge. First time I played it I drove too far. Leant my lesson 2nd time around 2 years later and it was great watching it run and run!

The 1st on that course is great, especially if you’ve just got off the plane, quick change, club sandwich and a beer as your preparation and then you’re faced with that! ?

Overall I think Asia is the best. We couldn’t play it first time around as it was being protected for a tournament, and so I guess it’s their main course.