Golf in South Africa

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi

Im fortunate enough in my job to travel around the world. This summer I am deploying for 6 months with the Navy to the west coast of Africa, South America and the West Indies.

Halfway through we will be stopping in Cape Town for 2 weeks and just wondered if any forum members had played any courses there and where they would recommend? The ship will be stopping in Tenerife on the first stop too and I'm aware there are some nice courses to play there also. Any suggestions for both?

Cheers

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I played four courses out there a couple of years ago, and in order:
Atlantic Beach - linksy and tricky. Well-looked after and clubhouse is very nice.
Clovelly - Not bad at all, although some fiddily holes. Well-kept and reasonably priced.
King David - slightly less manicured than the two above, but enjoyable course, with slick greens. Feels a little "urban".

and then there was:
Paarl

which was one of the worst 5.5 hours of my golfing life! You are forced to stop at the halfway house, even if you don't want to, and no-one seems to understand the concept of playing through. I didn't rate the course particularly, although a couple of the holes are pleasant.

If you can, go to The Codfather restaurant in Camps Bay. Fresh seafood that you just select from the counter, and they cook it for you. Really, really good.

Enjoy - I'm slightly jealous!