Golf holidays

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is anyone else finding the customer service from the major golf holiday companies shocking?
Iv always booked with Golfkings in Glasgow by this year their service has been nothing short of diabolical. Continual ignored emails and phone calls. Closely followed by yourgolftravel and golfbreaks. I feel like I'm having to harass them continually to take my money. They simply aren't bothering to reply to emails. Iv always booked via email quotes as it's much easier for me and never had a problem. This year Iv been waiting weeks on a reply, having to hound them continually, then they send quotes for the wrong dates, wrong amount of people etc etc.
Phoned yourgolftravel on Friday morning looking for information to be told x, you were emailing isn't in today so I'll deal with it. I will try and call you back in an hour with quotes, or email them to you. All weekend and still nothing. Despite them having the majority of the holiday in place.
Anybody just booked a holiday and then done the golf yourself? If so did you just book direct with the course of use a broker in the country you were going to.
I'm hoping to head to costs deal sol, or the algarve. Any information appreciated.

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
I booked a direct trip to Gran Canaria after 2 of the large golf travel companies provided rubbish service, changing the courses/times without checking with me, luckily I checked the details well in advance and got them to change them back (after complaining got absolutely nothing back & the Manager didn't call me back 3 times).

It's really easy, use Skyscanner/Onthe Beach to look for flights, normally book direct with the airline once we get convenient times, use Sunshine.co.uk to book hotel (only £1 deposit), look for golf only packages for an idea of price then contact the courses direct with this info. We have saved £200 each on a 5 night holiday doing it this way.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is anyone else finding the customer service from the major golf holiday companies shocking?
Iv always booked with Golfkings in Glasgow by this year their service has been nothing short of diabolical. Continual ignored emails and phone calls. Closely followed by yourgolftravel and golfbreaks. I feel like I'm having to harass them continually to take my money. They simply aren't bothering to reply to emails. Iv always booked via email quotes as it's much easier for me and never had a problem. This year Iv been waiting weeks on a reply, having to hound them continually, then they send quotes for the wrong dates, wrong amount of people etc etc.
Phoned yourgolftravel on Friday morning looking for information to be told x, you were emailing isn't in today so I'll deal with it. I will try and call you back in an hour with quotes, or email them to you. All weekend and still nothing. Despite them having the majority of the holiday in place.
Anybody just booked a holiday and then done the golf yourself? If so did you just book direct with the course of use a broker in the country you were going to.
I'm hoping to head to costs deal sol, or the algarve. Any information appreciated.

Should have told them Darren sent you.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I've only booked one golf trip myself, used YourGolfTravel and the service was fantastic. I realise this is a very small sample so maybe I was just lucky. I had originally tried to book direct with Q Hotels, and they were incredibly unhelpful so switched to YGT who booked with them on my behalf and I ended up getting the same package at a lower cost - can't work out how this is a good pricing strategy for Q Hotels but that's their problem.

D

Deleted Member 1156

For foreign holidays I use either ebookers or expedia to book a flight/hotel/car package then I book the golf up separately using either last minute websites or direct with the courses. Never used YGT or similar for trips in this country as I'm not really interested in the types of courses they tend to offer (Marriott hotels etc)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always book my own holidays and save a bomb. (Strangely this year I had to give up on searching for flights to the USA this year and go the a travel agent, they just weren't coming up).

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im of to Ireland again this year and i booked the Ferry thru P&O website our hotel thru Booking .com and this year i used Swing Golf Ireland to book the courses as they did a deal on the 4 courses we wanted to pay, Eileen has been spot on to deal with , last year Donegal GC booked all our courses and times as we had a 3 courses pass. Very unusual that you'd get poor service from these guys nowadays.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Should have told them Darren sent you.

What??

With regard to the poor service the reason I posted it is I found it unusual hence me asking if anyone else was getting the same, these folk are normally phoning you 3 times a day trying to make a sale. None of them seem interested though. Golfbreaks emailed me back 7 weeks later and said "sorry for the delayed response" Jesus .... 7 weeks!! The saga with Golfkings has been going on since February!
Iv booked a lot of holidays with Golfkings and Iv tried to match their price using the DIY route but tbh they were pretty much the same price.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Problem is as with many companies that are big, the person who you email is mostly there to make a wage and it is not their business or reputation on the line

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just recently booked for a week in Portugal next May through Golfbreaks all done via email until final confirmation and payment of deposits. No problems encountered and always has same day replies. Booked flights separately via Jet 2.

Alucard

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just recently booked for a week in Portugal next May through Golfbreaks all done via email until final confirmation and payment of deposits. No problems encountered and always has same day replies. Booked flights separately via Jet 2.

Wise choice, there are around 35 courses in the tiny Algarve region alone and 6 are Championship standard courses. The weather should be spot on for you in May as it shouldnt be too hot and the rain should have gone by then.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
For continental trips I've used, Your Golf Travel , GolfBreaks.com and Lotus Supertravel dozens of times and never an issue with any of them. In fact , Ive used the first and last ones the most and the folk in their offices are excellent.

Re your note about YFT drive4show, I've stayed in a range of their places overseas, one was a Marriott. Sawgrass. It was ok for a Marriott! (I know what you mean about the UK equivalents though!! :D:D )

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
I have to say I have been booking golf trips - admittedly only Scotland and/or Ireland - for between 4 and 20 people every year for 17 years. I always arrange everything myself, I contact the courses, book the tee times, arrange transport, book hotels, arrange insurance etc.

It is so easy with the Internet!

I reckon to save hundreds of pounds each trip by doing everything myself and cutting out the travel company. The courses are so organised nowadays to accept bookings and are always quick with confirmations and responses to any queries.

Maybe next year you could try a DIY approach and see what you think? Good luck