Golf grips

G1z1

Visit site
I currently just have plain black grips on my clubs and on my old ones I remember they said golf pride down where your thumb would be and i used that as a sort of guide for thumb placement.
So now i am thinking about getting my clubs re gripped with the white text on them as i feel it does help and wanted to ask what difference does extra thickness make or a grip. I think i just have standard and noticed you can get x3 layers of tape. So what would that do to your swing Would it alter anything or just make the club feel thicker.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You wont go far wrong with Golf Pride or Lamkin, if you're fitting yourself make sure you buy from a reputable source as there are lots of fakes on eBay etc, general rule if it looks too good to be true it's usually because it is.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I currently just have plain black grips on my clubs and on my old ones I remember they said golf pride down where your thumb would be and i used that as a sort of guide for thumb placement.
So now i am thinking about getting my clubs re gripped with the white text on them as i feel it does help and wanted to ask what difference does extra thickness make or a grip. I think i just have standard and noticed you can get x3 layers of tape. So what would that do to your swing Would it alter anything or just make the club feel thicker.
If you go to the ping website, they have a bit where they show you how to measure your hands and give recommendations for size.
As for different types, I'm a lamkin crossline fan - they last well and I like how they feel. Very personal thing though, so maybe try a few (grips are often on display at shops).

TheUnwashed

Visit site
If you play in the wet a lot the Iomic Sticky are a revelation. I always used Lamkin Crossline or Golf Pride MCC’s and since switching I’m astonished. They literally towel wipe dry to perfect even in a monsoon.

The only thing is they are Japanese and come up slightly thin. Due to this I have 2 extra layers of tape and they’re spot on.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
If you go to the ping website, they have a bit where they show you how to measure your hands and give recommendations for size.
As for different types, I'm a lamkin crossline fan - they last well and I like how they feel. Very personal thing though, so maybe try a few (grips are often on display at shops).
Also don't underestimate personal preference, I've gone to the thicker Golf Price Plus4 MCC despite taking a small glove. I just found standard grips too thin, and left me prone to the odd snap hook.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also don't underestimate personal preference, I've gone to the thicker Golf Price Plus4 MCC despite taking a small glove. I just found standard grips too thin, and left me prone to the odd snap hook.

I use the MCC Plus 4 Align (ribbed) with an extra wrap. Although I like the Lamkin ST +2 Hybrid Calibrate (same idea as the Plus 4 but a bit softer) too.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ask around to see if anyone has oversized grips that you could have a hold of. When I wore a glove a few years ago my size was M/L, but I use oversize grips, (PING orange) which I buy from adore grips.The grip charts are wrong for me. Check wether the tips of your fingers are digging into the pad at the under your thumb if so you need a larger grip. See: http://www.westridgegolfcentre.co.uk/archive-2016/grip-size/

G1z1

Visit site
Golf pride says im midsize grip and ping says im gold. Does anyone know what grips i have on the ping g425 there all black golf pride and im sure at the fitting the fitter said just standard no extra layers of tape.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Golf pride says im midsize grip and ping says im gold. Does anyone know what grips i have on the ping g425 there all black golf pride and im sure at the fitting the fitter said just standard no extra layers of tape.

Have you got the arccos sensors on the G425. I believe they are golf pride as the sensors are in the grip. Having looked at the ping site the colour on the top of the grip is the identifier. Although it looks like some have it written on them e.g. midsize in yellow

G1z1

Visit site
Have you got the arccos sensors on the G425. I believe they are golf pride as the sensors are in the grip. Having looked at the ping site the colour on the top of the grip is the identifier. Although it looks like some have it written on them e.g. midsize in yellow
D18221DA-1952-4782-90B5-A565D8D70237.jpegF8D216C5-BDCA-42A8-B930-87D6AADBC9E7.jpeg
they just say golf pride tour velvet 360

G1z1

Visit site
I decided on the golf pride mcc plus 4 midsize and wanted the navy/red ones but there hard to find. I went to 4 shops today and none in stock, seen ebay has them but also seen a YouTube video that said theres fakes everywhere so i have one last shop to try tomorrow and if no luck ill order another colour.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My club builder reckons there’s generally a shortage of grips due to shortages in raw materials, factories that have prioritised other products and the sheer boom in newbies.

I was told no tour velvets until late spring.

Luckily I’ve got 13 multicomps that I bought pre covid so I’ll get them swapped at some point.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My club builder reckons there’s generally a shortage of grips due to shortages in raw materials, factories that have prioritised other products and the sheer boom in newbies.

I was told no tour velvets until late spring.

Luckily I’ve got 13 multicomps that I bought pre covid so I’ll get them swapped at some point.

i blame Brexit

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

I've also made the swap to the Plus4 (Tour Velvet) grips in the last six months despite having hands that by most measurement systems come up as "small".

My transition came by accident as I bought a club of ebay that came with a New Decade Multicompound +4 grip, but before ripping the grip off and replacing it with a standard sized grip I took the club down the range for a session and was amazed at how comfortable it felt. I've always played with fatter built up grips (especially under the lower hand) in my wedges so initially replaced the wedges with the Plus 4's to see how I got on and eventually have worked my way up through the entire bag.

I too was concerned by the "conventional wisdom" that fatter grips might "help" promote a fade (which was my normal stock shot so I wouldnt have wanted to emphasize it) but if anything I find that I'm hitting the ball straighter than ever.