Golf gps watch

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Right guys need help

My Apple Watch is 3 years old now and the battery has started to give up the ghost on the course... about 17 holes it lasts

It's fine on a non golf day so I don't want to give Apple£85 almost for a new battery just for golf

So what's the best golf watch around £100?

I can get a garmin s2 for around £110
Tom tom is £110 today on Amazon

What's the best around £100 you guys would say?

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why would you spend 100 quid on a GPS watch when your apple watch is only 85 quid to fix and does the same job. That seems like a waste of 15 quid in my book sir!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a Garmin S1 and have had it for 3 years now. If it broke tomorrow I would buy another Garmin, the best version I could get for the amount of money I had to spend.

If you can hang on then it may be worth waiting for Black Friday deals as they are often discounted then, mine was.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I have the Garmin S2 and it does it's job nicely. I've had it for about two years now and so far the battery is still good for a compete round of golf (but not much more ... I think I could squeeze an extra 9 holes out of it if it is absolutely fully loaded).

Not sure what information the app on your Apple Watch gives you. The S2 is pretty basic with front, middle and back of the green. No distances to hazards or bunkers or the like, which I would find usefull occasionally. You can measure the length of your shot and there is a score-card functionality which I never use, because I find it fiddly and much easier to just use a pencil and paper. Course coverage is really good, never played a course it did not know and it stores all the information on all European courses (or, if you choose so, Asia or North America etc.), so you don't have to do any extra preparation if you go to play away somewhere.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why would you spend 100 quid on a GPS watch when your apple watch is only 85 quid to fix and does the same job. That seems like a waste of 15 quid in my book sir!

Parents want to get me something I want for Xmas so thinking a watch

Why waste £85 on a battery when for £100 can get a watch!

The Apple Watch will get worse with time so might aswell use it for what I use now and have a proper golf watch for every round

So the s1 and s2 what's the difference?

Tom tom no good?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
So the s1 and s2 what's the difference?

My dad has the S1, I have the S2. Not much difference, as far as I can tell, the S1 even is slightly smaller/thinner. As far as I know, the battery is the same (at least the technical specs on battery life are). The S2 has a few additional features like the scorecard and layup points (both of which I find rather useless), and a bit more storage space for courses. The S1 stores up to 18000 courses, the S2 30000. Good luck with playing all of them :D So I'd say, the differences are relatively minimal. I got the S2 as a present, but I would have been just as happy with the S1 and probably never notice a difference in daily usage.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My dad has the S1, I have the S2. Not much difference, as far as I can tell, the S1 even is slightly smaller/thinner. As far as I know, the battery is the same (at least the technical specs on battery life are). The S2 has a few additional features like the scorecard and layup points (both of which I find rather useless), and a bit more storage space for courses. The S1 stores up to 18000 courses, the S2 30000. Good luck with playing all of them :D So I'd say, the differences are relatively minimal. I got the S2 as a present, but I would have been just as happy with the S1 and probably never notice a difference in daily usage.

Thanks, not fussed with scorecard got my gamegolf (do you have to use it to get to next hole?)

I'll check best price and see what parents don't mind getting

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does the S2 show distances to hazards, eg water, corners on dog legs etc? I have an S1 and love it but that aspect would be useful (for PJ - the S1 is purely front, middle and back of the green)

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Garmin Approach - small . It does texts from phone, fitness stuff and App shows course route after game. Does front, middle and back plus hazards

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a Tom Tom Golfer and cant see by it, I tried the Garmin S2 but think Tom Tom is better, gives you everything you need.

Managed to pick up the tom tom for £110

Same price as s2 but with more information which I thought useful

Thanks for all your help guys