Golf glove

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I Always use one, it's a huge disadvantage for me not to have one, i'd lose grip of the club, not to let the club fly but it would allow the face to twist out of position.

I know we shouldn't draw comparisons but there's a reason professionals wear them, only one to my mind that didn't was Fred Couples and he applied super glue to his finger and thumb tips prior to a round apparently.

Dannyc

Visit site
I asked a lad last year why he don’t wear a glove his reply was I don’t want one white hand 🙈
What a knob 😂

jordan1987

Visit site
I Always use one, it's a huge disadvantage for me not to have one, i'd lose grip of the club, not to let the club fly but it would allow the face to twist out of position.

I know we shouldn't draw comparisons but there's a reason professionals wear them, only one to my mind that didn't was Fred Couples and he applied super glue to his finger and thumb tips prior to a round apparently.

Lucas Glover doesn't wear one, of all the names :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Really?? Wow. :oops:

I've always worn a glove. I have a strong grip so I feel like I need to. I think after a while it's what you get used to as well. No need for me to change really, I'm happy wearing a glove.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Lucas Glover doesn't wear one, of all the names :D
Hahah

It proves it's personal preference, I just feel uncomfortable if I don't wear one.

Infact my old club pro never wore one, he had hands like shovels and used cored grips. His hands were like sandpaper though, used to get grazed hands as a junior shaking his hands at the end of a round :D

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did not until one very hot summer and the club came out of my sweaty palms.

I buy relatively cheap gloves so that I do not attempt to make one go beyond its useful life because it cost me so much.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Really?? Wow. :oops:

I've always worn a glove. I have a strong grip so I feel like I need to. I think after a while it's what you get used to as well. No need for me to change really, I'm happy wearing a glove.

Yeah, had to just google to find this but an old interview, he bought rain gloves literally on this day as it was raining so badly or something:

Q. We asked Jay this, and he's never seen you wear a golf glove. Have you ever worn a golf glove??

FRED COUPLES: I have two gloves. Casey, who caddied for me yesterday, went to Olympic Club and got me two rain gloves.

But I do have two all-weather gloves. I've done it one time, played with two black gloves. But I've never worn a glove.

Q. Why??

FRED COUPLES: I don't have any feel with 'em at all.

Q. (No microphone.)

FRED COUPLES: No, when I first started, yeah, when I was nine, ten, 11 up in Seattle on days like this. But then you would try and dry your gloves out, but my mom would not give me -- I think it was like seven bucks for glove every other week in the wintertime. So finally I just stopped wearing them. That's when I stopped, up in Seattle.

Q. Jay said you have something with your thumbs.

FRED COUPLES: My thumb, yeah, it has superglue all over it. I do get cuts on my thumb. And then now for a long time now I just put superglue on it and I don't get too many cuts.

It's right here. How does that look?

Q. You have it in your bag??

FRED COUPLES: Yeah. I have it in my bag.

sona

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always wear a glove except when the weather is very cold because I cannot get my hand in the winter mitts with one on.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
only one to my mind that didn't was Fred Couples and he applied super glue to his finger and thumb tips prior to a round apparently.

It must have been rubbish super glue or else he applied it, kept his hand open and allowed it to dry. Decent super glue is feisty stuff and not to be messed with.

On a dull note, I would not have thought the chemicals in it would be too great on your skin.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It must have been rubbish super glue or else he applied it, kept his hand open and allowed it to dry. Decent super glue is feisty stuff and not to be messed with.

On a dull note, I would not have thought the chemicals in it would be too great on your skin.
That's what I was wondering! Surely he means he puts it on his thumbs then allows it to dry so it was slightly tacky, but doesn't permanently bond him to his club! I'm sure they do say not to let super glue come into contact with your skin. You'd think it'd be easier just to wear a glove. :LOL:

Robin Hood

Visit site

I wonder if it really was super glue, or more likely a latex glue such as Copydex. Even so it sounds a bit too risky to me.
I'll "stick" to my glove thank you !

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always worn one from the start of playing as a junior and so feels really alien if I hit shots without one. Feel I have a better hold of the club and so feel more comfy and relaxed at address and through the swing

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
That's what I was wondering! Surely he means he puts it on his thumbs then allows it to dry so it was slightly tacky, but doesn't permanently bond him to his club! I'm sure they do say not to let super glue come into contact with your skin. You'd think it'd be easier just to wear a glove. :LOL:

The reasons and rational for this warning were both proven and debunked within 20 minutes of any 1970's schoolboy obtaining a tube of super glue from dads tool drawer. It did indeed stick your fingers together which required cutting your skin with a craft knife to separate them (but did not dissuade the same schoolboy from doing it again) After a little bit of practice you could apply to skin and see how long it was before you could still separate your fingers, time it right and it left you with a layer of dry glue on each finger (y)

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I Thought it was illegal under the rules to use anything artificial to help grip the club?
Or is he saying he uses it for his cuts.
Sounds to me like he uses it to harden his skin to avoid cuts. I can see how that would work.

I remember going to the range once and forgetting my glove, so I started hitting shots without one to see how it would work... I think my hand started to get torn to pieces within about 10 shots :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
always wear one, leave it on to putt with most of the time to, no reason just can't be arsed to take it off. except when it hot in summer them may take it off between shots and putting

i don't always wear one for Hickory though