Golf Gear Addict-Time to STOP!!!!!!

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am om my feet at the moment and i am admitting to you all that i am a golf gear addict. I had a conversation yesterday with a good friend of mine and it came to light that in the three years i have played this sport i have went through an obscene amount of clubs.far too many to remember nearly.
i feel quite embarrassed now i have sat and thought about it.I went through a spell of impulse purchases thinking the ones that i was buying were better than what i had or i would read or here a bad report on the ones i had then i would change.i have also changed because after buying they just felt horrible, But now its time to stop. i now have a decent bag and its time for reality,i have banned myself from looking at golf clubs,
has anyone been in this situation ? what were your end results?

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Boabski, I also have a very good friend who, in the last 3 years has had

NINE sets of Irons
FIVE drivers
FOUR rescue/3 wood
FIVE putters
SIX pairs of shoes
FIVE wedges
FOUR bags

Oh, and most importantly

ONE very patient wife.

Barney

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hell, Did you write that post or me??

I too have been playing for three years and have been hit so hard by the addiction of golf equipment my wife is about to leave me. She probably thinks im buying some new gear now as im on the laptop...........Oh hang on.....where you going love ?????

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
Hi Boabski.

Congrats on liberating yourself and admitting this addiction. You are not alone and I suspect never will be.
Over my 11 years I have owned.

12 sets of irons, from fazer, mizuno, ping, maxfli, callaway, wilson and 6 sets of Titleists.

5 faiway woods. Ping, Titleists.

4 Rescues. Benross, Titleists, Cobra and Yonex (best of the lot.)

8-10 Putters. Odyssesy, Ping, Scotty's, TM's, a few cheapies aswel.

Drivers - oh dear God! - how many drivers???? I've used cheapy no names to Ping's, Mizuno, Callaways, TM's, Titleists, Benross, never used a Nike though. Can't honestly remember.

Loads of different flex's on all clubs from Xstiff to regular. A few years ago i weighed 26 stone (now 13) and changed god knows how many sets as my body and strength altered over time. Have lost a lot of distance from all clubs as a result, but at least I can see my feet now, and the more important things i ;)n life.

Even yesterday i used the Trackman monitor and confirmed what I knew that my current driver is the most accurate and reliable i've had, yet today I'm still thinking about straying to other models just in case.... :eek:

interestingly I have never changed my wedges... have had the Cleveland 588 lob wedge for 9 years and the vokeys for 4-5. (shouldn't have mentioned that as it will get me thinking about different loft and bounce combo's again. D'oh :D)

Ultimately, about a year ago I accepted that it was the fiddler not the fiddle that needed fixing, looked at my game, noted i would never be a long hitter and went for accuracy instead. Have since won a couple of medals, one club cup competition and realistically could drop 3-4 shots off my handicap as and when the medal comps come round.

Buying gear gives an instant buzz, no question, but if you want to play golf and improve I recognise that finding something that works and sticking with it, is the only way forward. :)

now to go and look at some GPS gear, this has got to be the most essential bit of gear in existence, up there with H2O and oxygen. if only i can find my credit cards..... :eek:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Boabski, welcome to golf gear annonomous.

If you have a look on the forum blog you will see my experiences in 'confessions of an addict'. Thought I was over it but no. My damn golf pro is to blame for this relapse, suggesting a lower loft driver has got me looking at shiny things again.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don’t worry mate your not alone, I have spent so much money when bored at work etc Admitting it is the first step.

I was the one who first coined the phrase sex on a stick for golf clubs on this forum with my addiction to sexy looking golf clubs (New Callaway X forged muscle iron is my current fancy PHWOR!!)

Range_Ball

Club Champion
Visit site
One in all in, have to confess to splurging money on some crap. However like as been mentioned i am now happy with my golf set up.

Saying that i do have throughts on getting a new driver very soooon.

IS THERE A CURE !!!!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
No cure range ball just cold turkey. looking to try a few drivers at the weekend, want to hit the Benny and also to try that new all black Snake Eyes viper. A little trip to the range at Direct Golf may be in order.

Range_Ball

Club Champion
Visit site
GB72,

I am going give a few drivers a try can,t wait to get a G10 in my hands heard some good stuff about this and others.

HERE I GO AGAIN ..... IS THERE NO END

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Htl,if you touched my kit you would just burst into flame!!

I officialy own the most beautiful Irons in the World!

To see them is to know that Miura is a false God!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My name is Homer and I have a problem. Since I started back last year I have had 3 sets of irons, 3 pairs of shoes, 3 bags, 15 gloves (9 of which are still unused) 4 umbrellas (two have never been opened) 3 putters, 2 drivers, 2 3 woods and 3 dozen balls still in the boxes.

That doesn't even cover the golf clothing on top of that!!!

Have to say my wife is an absolute saint especially as for part of last year I wasn't working and it was going on the plastic. I have tried to cut back but the lure of a sky caddie (or caddie lite if they ever map my course) is looming large on the horizon. Then there is a new 5 wood to buy.......

It doesn't help having an AG a 10 minute drive away (and another only 25 minutes from home - only 15 if I go straight there from the club) and now my pro has started getting newer and better gear in.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow....I never realised the problems ran so deep!
I started back in September and planned to change the whole bag over a year. It's taken me less, but now I've made it, I'm sinking my spare cash into lessons and nice courses.

The list.....
Cart bag £39 Callaway (old one eaten by shed creatures)
3 wood £99 TM R5 dual ti (a peach)
Driver £129 Callaway FT-3
Putter £40 off ebay
Hybrid £40 another Hybrid £90 (both online)
another Driver £140 off ebay G5
irons £149 Macgregor V-foil 565s DG
new carry bag (present) AG
new trolley for cart bag (hopefully £50 from gjbike).

That's it - NO MORE. I have two drivers to choose from and the rest is so much better than my 15 y.o. kit. Can't afford to tinker now. Might buy a wedge......see, even I'm getting drawn in...... :(

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok, whilst we are coming clean, this is what I can remember buying in the last year:

Hippo OSIV beginners set.
Irons: Wilson Staff DI7s and Orka kii
Hybrids: Wison Staff DH6, Cleveland Halo, MD EQL, Orka Kii, Ben Sayers M8.
Fairway Woods: Cleveland Hi-Bore, Nike SQ, Benross V6, Taylormade Burner.
Putters: Wison Staff 88 series, Ping UGLE, Benross VMC.
Drivers: Wilson Staff DD6, Taylormade Burner and R7 460, Integra I Drive and Orka Kii.
Shoes: Hi-Tec Drytec, Footjoy LT, Footjoy AQL, A Bite pair.

Have also tried just about every ball that has been released.

Hopefully the driver is the only change left and at least I have now found a taste for the cheaper brands.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
htl

I will try, my irons are the chromed Jap versions of the heads available now in the UK.

Will try to post meaningful photo's but cant promise.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I started golf last year with a Ben Sayers set. I have now replaced the lot, including bag but have this unsatisfied feeling that only something in the fairway woods and hybrids area can settle.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was the same,I never felt satisfied until I had the same kit as the pro's.

Sadly,now I know I am cr**!!

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am playing for 17 years and I observed that a constant change of gear doesnt really improve you game. Yes every three or four years I am beguiled by a shiny new set of irons but my cv only contains

5 sets of irons (Wilson, Titleist, TommyArmour, Hogan, MacGregor)
3 drivers (Titleist - a persimmon driver,Callaway,Cleveland)
3 wedges (TaylorMade,SnakeEyes,Cleveland)
3 woods/hybrids (Titleist,Callaways)
until recently 3 putters (TaylorMade,Lynx,Ping Anser4)

Currently there are 4 putters on my rota
Odyssey Dual Force 220 (my favorite)
PING Anser (a classic)
RAM Zebra
Odyssey Rossie 2

Although I change putters every other month, putting still is one of the strengths of my game, just a matter of feel