Golf Fitness and Flexibility

AdamW

Visit site
This sums it up perfectly for me especially that last little paragraph. In my professional opinion of years working in strength, conditioning and even sports specific training. People at recreational level of sport shouldn't be sport specific training.

Better to improve quality of health & movement patterns for longevity of life and enjoyment of it than focus of doing certain things for sport. Just being fitter, healthier more flexible for every day life will have a positive impact on sporting performance anyway for the recreational player. Sports specific fitness and strength training goes more hand in hand with working alongside sports technical coaches for example I worked with one lady golfer whose coach laid out the exact patterns in the swing the player needed, which in turn means I could focus solely on improving strength, flexibility and movement patterns to assist each component of the players technique.. This level of scientific training is not at our level of the game. As above eat less move more and get healthy and fit for life not just golf.

As for Yoga, i think its brilliant for posture , flexibility and for me I love the way it helps me mentally on how to clear the mind. But again this is for being healthier in life, it will however help for longevity of playing sports in to an older age rather than being something which cuts handicap..

This sums it up perfectly for me especially that last little paragraph. In my professional opinion of years working in strength, conditioning and even sports specific training. People at recreational level of sport shouldn't be sport specific training.

Better to improve quality of health & movement patterns for longevity of life and enjoyment of it than focus of doing certain things for sport. Just being fitter, healthier more flexible for every day life will have a positive impact on sporting performance anyway for the recreational player. Sports specific fitness and strength training goes more hand in hand with working alongside sports technical coaches for example I worked with one lady golfer whose coach laid out the exact patterns in the swing the player needed, which in turn means I could focus solely on improving strength, flexibility and movement patterns to assist each component of the players technique.. This level of scientific training is not at our level of the game. As above eat less move more and get healthy and fit for life not just golf.

As for Yoga, i think its brilliant for posture , flexibility and for me I love the way it helps me mentally on how to clear the mind. But again this is for being healthier in life, it will however help for longevity of playing sports in to an older age rather than being something which cuts handicap..

Do you recommend any core exercises?

Have been doing pall of press in the gym for last couple of weeks . Hate exercises like plank though so boring

Wolf

Visit site
Do you recommend any core exercises?

Have been doing pall of press in the gym for last couple of weeks . Hate exercises like plank though so boring
Pallof is a really good exercise that hits a lot of area's. The problem with core work is people assume its just abs erc so must have to do planks, crunches etc. When in fact you need to consider other things like the lower back (several little muscles and some big) , obliques (internal & external) transverse abdominius, forms part of the core group of muscles. You can develop a stronger core without ever doing a plank etc if you learn how to correctly engage your core when doing more compound work like Deadlifts, Squats, Rack Pulls (brilliant for lower back and posterior chain).

My simplest recommendation for you woukd be stick with a pallof press, include some vacuums each day(brilliant for transverse abs, which will keep your waist tight as well) and just ensure your correctly engaging core every time you do any other exercise.

Problem with fitness much like golf is every one wants a quick fix or try something new with advise from someone. When in fact the truth is once you have a good plan (swing) stick with it for a longer period for consistency and only start tweaking once your ready for the next level

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pallof is a really good exercise that hits a lot of area's. The problem with core work is people assume its just abs erc so must have to do planks, crunches etc. When in fact you need to consider other things like the lower back (several little muscles and some big) , obliques (internal & external) transverse abdominius, forms part of the core group of muscles. You can develop a stronger core without ever doing a plank etc if you learn how to correctly engage your core when doing more compound work like Deadlifts, Squats, Rack Pulls (brilliant for lower back and posterior chain).

My simplest recommendation for you woukd be stick with a pallof press, include some vacuums each day(brilliant for transverse abs, which will keep your waist tight as well) and just ensure your correctly engaging core every time you do any other exercise.

Problem with fitness much like golf is every one wants a quick fix or try something new with advise from someone. When in fact the truth is once you have a good plan (swing) stick with it for a longer period for consistency and only start tweaking once your ready for the next level

What are vacuums?

and no silly answers anyone else thanks.

Wolf

Visit site
What are vacuums?

and no silly answers anyone else thanks.
Essentially a simple exercise that works the transverse abdominal muscles a by producti is it help keeps the waist tight. You can literally do it anywhere in about 1 min of your day..

Best description is probably this one from Jeff Cavalierre aka Athlean X. Once you get past his overly just for men hair, he is unbelievably knowledgeable and breaks things down in lehmann terms

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Essentially a simple exercise that works the transverse abdominal muscles a by producti is it help keeps the waist tight. You can literally do it anywhere in about 1 min of your day..

Best description is probably this one from Jeff Cavalierre aka Athlean X. Once you get past his overly just for men hair, he is unbelievably knowledgeable and breaks things down in lehmann terms

Thanks

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Starting the me and my golf flexibility exercises again tonight as had a nightmare first week with work, like others on here I failed half the tests, especially the knee to wall one.

My superspeed golf sticks arrived yesterday also which I’ve just done the first session as I intend to do on the same day as the flexibility Work. The dynamic warm up made me realise how week my shoulders are!

On the other days I’m going to do the exercises on the 18 strong YouTube channel after my range practice (thanks to the recommendation on this thread) As they seem just what I was looking for. Some basic kit strength exercises.