Golf EQUIPMENT

MENHIR

Visit site
Hi.

I know I'm leaning on an open door, but I'm a 19 Handicapper looking to but a new set of irons.
My golfing guru/teacher reckons my swing is 14/15 handicap,
fighting inconsistant swing...it works at the range, but not always on the course.
An suggestions on kit/price to look at?

MENHIR

Visit site
Hi Swingstar.

Budget...well.. £300-500 ...top level if I could be convinced that the extra expense would bring a benefit...always been unsure if the extra was paying for the advertising etc..am I cynical ??
Would the extra..be of beneit to a 19 handicap ?

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
IMHO you do tend to get what you pay for with equipment (Honma excepted!)
but there's some really good budget stuff around - brands like Benross. MD Golf and Ram are usualy good VFM

the top end more expensive stuff tends to be forged - much better feel and workability - but only the 'better players' really get the full benefit from that sort of stuff

as a 19 handicapper I immagine what you'd be best with is something as forgiving as possible

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Menhir - as equipment editor of GM I've just run an iron test in the kind of price bracket to which you refer, in which Nike's new Ignite iron and Wilson's Staff Di7 came out top. But there are good clubs in this price sector from the likes of Benross and MD Golf too, who may be brands you are less familiar with. You may even get certain Callaway and TaylorMade models within your price range too in certain outlets, especially at times when they are changing from one model to another.

The debate as to exactly what extra you get for your money is not an easy one to answer as I have encountered top brand irons that have clearly felt and performed better than less expensive models in my four years with the magazine, as well as less expensive models that have clearly out-performed their price point.

Perhaps the best thing is to narrow it down to three or four sets you like the look of and try them out if at all possible. If the top brands clearly perform better, then you have your answer; if the differences are less pronounced than you would like, perhaps spend a little less at this stage and then treat yourself in the future.

Certainly don't be embarrassed about buying a supposedly lesser brand if you hit them well, because ultimately that's all that really counts.

Custom-fitting is another option to consider, often free if you then make a purchase. But in some instances you will have to decide on your brand of choice first here.

Hope some of this helps

MENHIR

Visit site
Thanks for the input. I think choose & try, across the price range, and see if I can feel any differnce, is the way to go.
I have read the equipment info from the website, so I have more understanding of the technology involved, so I am now armed with some thoughts when looking at the rows of clubs. :)