Golf destination

cabbie

Visit site
Hi guys i've got a week off work at the end of April and i'm looking at a Monday to Friday
golf trip in this country.Any ideas where i could base myself?

I want at least 4 decent courses within about 30 minutes in the £30-£40 bracket with one maybe
around £70-£80,i have had a nose on line at the Wirral,Lancs coast and Ayr but would welcome
any thoughts.Not Wales or the South West thx been there many times.

thx in advance

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's true Clive.What courses would you suggest Len so i can have a nose
If Len was Ken...
Just checked, prices seem to be ramped up this year!
Dunbar do a twilight rate. £70 after 1pm
Gullane 3 (£49) and Gullane 2 (£75)
The Glen (£50 after 3pm).
A few nice parkland courses, Haddington, Castle Park, Gifford.
The last few can be played for under will be pretty cheap (probably about £30).

D

Deleted Member 1156

You will struggle to get anything decent for your budget in the south, suggest you look north or parts of Wales to get better value.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
My pals and I are doing a trip at the same time. Originally intended to be the west coast of Scotland but decided not to risk it with all of *waves arms* this going on.

As an alternative weve settled on staying at my mates parents place in St Bees on the Cumbrian coast. With rounds at Silloth and Seascale on the the agenda, and wherever else will take us at that time.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I asked where you were based to gauge distance etc...

A left field suggestion for your budget, (and relatively close to home so you might have done it...)

We had an away trip that a few turned their noses up in advance, but really liked once they'd played, around the south side of Birmingham. We played Kings Norton, Fulford Heath and Ladbrook Park and for the money were very impressed. If budget allows, Blackwell is really good too.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you are allowed in.;)
SW Scotland based at Portpartick is lovely and the courses will be within your budget as they are quiet and off the beaten track.
Once you pass Dumfries it is a fantastic drive with stunning countryside
You could play Powfoot, Newton Stewart or Castle Douglas on the way in/out.
Stranraer, Portpatrick x2, and Wigton County [Glenluce] as your main courses.
The big Shearings Hotel at Portpatrick used to do a good self drive golf break deals.
Lovely place with stunning views towards Ireland and IoM.
Portpatrick and the Ayrshire Coast Weekend - Shearings

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
Hi guys i've got a week off work at the end of April and i'm looking at a Monday to Friday
golf trip in this country.Any ideas where i could base myself?

I want at least 4 decent courses within about 30 minutes in the £30-£40 bracket with one maybe
around £70-£80,i have had a nose on line at the Wirral,Lancs coast and Ayr but would welcome
any thoughts.Not Wales or the South West thx been there many times.

thx in advance

Are you doing this trip on your own (or with your household)? If it's in a group you won't be able to share accommodation

D

Deleted member 3432

If you are allowed in.;)
SW Scotland based at Portpartick is lovely and the courses will be within your budget as they are quiet and off the beaten track.
Once you pass Dumfries it is a fantastic drive with stunning countryside
You could play Powfoot, Newton Stewart or Castle Douglas on the way in/out.
Stranraer, Portpatrick x2, and Wigton County [Glenluce] as your main courses.
The big Shearings Hotel at Portpatrick used to do a good self drive golf break deals.
Lovely place with stunning views towards Ireland and IoM.

Can't mention golf in SW Scotland without bringing Southerness into the mix.

D

Deleted member 3432

My pals and I are doing a trip at the same time. Originally intended to be the west coast of Scotland but decided not to risk it with all of *waves arms* this going on.

As an alternative weve settled on staying at my mates parents place in St Bees on the Cumbrian coast. With rounds at Silloth and Seascale on the the agenda, and wherever else will take us at that time.

Silloth may not visitors at that time, certainly after the 1st lockdown it was members only for a long period. Obviously it may be different this time, club are due to give us some information next week I believe.

Seascale took visitors from very early on after 1st lockdown.

If Silloth do take visitors its possible I could sign you on depending on dates and my shift rota.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Silloth may not visitors at that time, certainly after the 1st lockdown it was members only for a long period. Obviously it may be different this time, club are due to give us some information next week I believe.

If Silloth do take visitors its possible I could sign you on depending on dates and my shift rota.
Do hope so as we're booked in on 3rd July , should be good by then ?

HeftyHacker

Visit site

We've already got the tee time booked for Friday the 23rd April and I've not heard anything from the club to say whether or not this will be cancelled yet or not, although I noticed you can no longer book a tee time. I was hoping you would see this and be able to give some insights as to how likely it will be to go ahead?

Thanks for the offer though, that would be great if we want to get up again in the week!