Golf course near Manchester/Liverpool

Bbothwell

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm in this area for work for a week at the end of March. Looking for a nice course to play at a couple of times. Ideally would be a links style course as I live in land so nothing like that locally.

Don't want to spend ridiculous money (which rules out Birkdale etc) but any suggestions would be great!

Cheers all

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I might be able to help, drop me a PM with details of your plans and i’ll see how it fits with my travel and all being well i’ll get you on at Wallasey

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For a decent test of golf at that time of year, you can't go far wrong with Formby Ladies. Cheaper than the likes of Formby, Hillside etc.. but still a very good track.

Plus, I think they'd still be off winter rates till end of March.

If you have a county card then check out Royal Liverpool, they do a £50 deal on mondays and fridays.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Formby, Hillside, the open courses and West Lancs may still set you back a pretty penny.

Leasowe will be cheap-ish (possibly as little as £20).

Caldy and Heswall may be something in-between although Heswall is a parkland but on the coast and Caldy is a bit of a mix of the two.

Take up Val's offer if you can, Wallasey is very good.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Great offer Val 👏👏

Wallasey & West Lancs would be my choice.

So many great courses along that stretch, just the dodgy locals you have to put up with 😜😂

😉

D

Deleted member 17920

Wallasey and S&A would be my choice. 2 superb links courses that won't cost a fortune. I'd never tire of those 2.
Agree with this, both superb it’s a crime that Wallasey isn’t in the GM top 100.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agree with this, both superb it’s a crime that Wallasey isn’t in the GM top 100.

Had my boy down a few weeks ago and played with Pete and big Stuey, he reckoned it superb and would rank it well above Ladybank which is currently his favourite course. Ladybank is no 99 (I think)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes Wallasey is home of the frank stableford the inventor of stableford marking.
It is a wonderful test of your game.
Hillside for me is the best of the others although s and a is very good.

p.s. My club Grange Park is in St Helens between Liverpool and Manchester It’s a very nice parkland course .
If you have time you can join me for a knock if you fancy it.